The eccentric strange world of neurotypicals

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you spend more than 2 minutes thinking about what to wear when you go out to eat?
Yes, in general. 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
No, in general. 65%  65%  [ 26 ]
I don't normally go out to eat. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 40

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:50 am

I was reading an article this morning and it reminded me of how different I am from NTs.

Half of Americans agree that deciding on an outfit is the most stressful part of dining out, according to new research.

While going out to eat might seem like a simple way to enjoy a great meal with good company, a new study reveals that the entire dining out process, from choosing where to eat and what to wear, is actually quite stressful.

A poll of 2,000 Americans, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of personal styling service Trunk Club, discovered that 65 percent of those surveyed felt overwhelmed when choosing what outfit to wear to a restaurant. Additionally, a third of those studied believed that choosing what to wear is more difficult than deciding where to eat.

More than half of those surveyed admitted that when choosing an outfit for a meal out, they stare blankly at their closet wondering what to wear. Over four in 10 (46 percent) try on more than half of their closet trying to create the perfect outfit, and another 47 percent ask a friend for outfit advice because they feel so lost.

But while they're stressed about what to wear, there’s a general consensus on what not to wear. Seventy-two percent agree they would never wear flip flops or sandals to a restaurant.

First off, people are thinking about what they want to wear before choosing a restaurant. Two in five revealed that what they want to wear influences where they choose to dine, and 36 percent choose the restaurant based on its dress code.

Many approach their restaurant decision with concern about damaging their clothes. Over one in three (37 percent) say they worry about spilling on their outfit. Thirty-eight percent avoid wine bars while a further 37 percent avoid coffee because they don’t want to deal with potential stains on their clothes.

The study also revealed that one in three Americans surveyed (33 percent) struggle to find an outfit because they think their friends are incredibly stylish and feel pressure to keep up with them.

Source: The most stressful part of dining at a restaurant is not what you think

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:52 am

I tend to take about 5-10 minutes. I make sure the clothes fit properly.

I'm a chubby guy----and I don't want to look too fat. I'm vain that way.

danchrist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2019, 11:33 am

I basically have 2 modes of dress - work or not. I may avoid fancier places if I'm in not-work mode, but that's the limit of my thinking about it. My work mode features a suspiciously coffee colored short sleeve cotton button down, so I never really worry about wrecking anything. I never wear open toe shoes in public, either, so that's never even a thought.

Last edited by danchrist on 12 Sep 2019, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2019, 11:43 am

I wonder if this also varies according to location. Where I live most people dress very casually, even in somewhat fancy restaurants, and no one seems to mind. Maybe in a bigger city or different region of the country, there are higher expectations. But yeah, from overhearing some NT women talking at work, they seem to spend a lot of time and effort thinking about clothes.

danchrist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2019, 11:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I tend to take about 5-10 minutes. I make sure the clothes fit properly.

I'm a chubby guy----and I don't want to look too fat. I'm vain that way.

I do a kind of reverse pickard maneuver, where I pull my shirt out of it's tuck a bit so it isn't tight on my belly.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 4:47 pm

No - I wouldn't ever spend that long choosing. On the very rare occasions I'm invited anywhere posh, I have one "Sunday Best" outfit which I'll dig out, otherwise I wear the most easily reached item for each layer of clothes I think I'll need to suit the weather. There'd be no point trying to colour co-ordinate what I choose, as any two outfits picked at random would probably be equally mismatched, and my regular clothes are all minor variations on the same theme, always in muted colours (urban camouflage!). If I went on one of those TV make-over shows and was fitted with a tailor-made suit etc., I'd still manage to look like a scruffy git within five minutes anyway - it's one of my best developed splinter skills! :lol:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm

Granted I never go anywhere fancy, but the decision is always very simple for me - jeans and a T-shirt just like I always wear.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 10:14 am

I never waste more than a minute picking out what I wear for the day. If it is a low key place, a car (or other design) t-shirt and black jeans is good enough. For a nicer place, I go into my dress shirts section and grab one that fits. Then I grab a pair of dress paints that fit as well. Since I shop at thrift stores, I have about thirty of them on hand to work with, separated into darks and lighter colors. I am very colorblind, so I cannot really color match my clothes well. So, this becomes a grab a clean pair choice. If it is a really nice place that I am going to be at, I have three types of suits to pick from (black, grey and blue). Ties can be challenging for me with my color issues, as I have about a hundred different ones, but I usually go for the solid blue silk. My tie tack pin selection can take me some time to do though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 10:19 am

One of the reasons I avoid going out at night is because I worry about what to wear. I've found that how I dress can help with social anxiety, because I often find myself comparing my appearance to other females, and if I feel like the plainest girl in the room I feel more self-conscious.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 4:24 pm

Does go out a lot. And nope, I almost never had to think much about clothing myself.
I have three kinds of clothings: lazy wears for maximum comfort, decent enough wears to go out with, and more decent wears for fancier settings.
Didn't had to worry so much about which is which to go with.

Of course this doesn't mean I don't know anything about looking more appropriate and decently than those choices. It's just doesn't matter much.

And it's no wonder why going outside with others is a headache. :lol: And why my household is a bigger clutter headache.
Even bigger reason why I kept telling them to stop bringing more clothes until they thrown more than enough of it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

I go out to eat with my mom about once a week, but we never go anywhere really fancy so I just wear one of my favorite T-shirts and a good pair of jeans. Why would anyone want to dress like it's prom night when they're going shopping at Walmart and then over to Wendy's for burgers afterwards?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:10 pm

I like to wear dresses more than most women, but it's because they're even easier than trying to coordinate bottom / top pieces. Having one article of clothing clean is easier than two. Regardless of what I wear, I don't spend more than one minute choosing.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:13 pm

I don't even understand the question.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:18 pm

less than a millisecond if I'm going out with my GF ( I'm already wearing it ).

If anyone else is involved a few seconds more while I change my t-shirt.

If it's posh and I need to dress like a monkey - it aint happening :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:22 pm

Jeans...check

T-Shirt....check

We are men Ferris and we wear their uniform.

*flexes*

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:28 pm

^ true dat

Although I'm mega fussy about the type , style , colour of jeans ( do wear camo's and hiking trousers ) , t-shirts have to be cotton

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard