The eccentric strange world of neurotypicals

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you spend more than 2 minutes thinking about what to wear when you go out to eat?
Yes, in general. 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
No, in general. 65%  65%  [ 26 ]
I don't normally go out to eat. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 40

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:28 pm

^ true dat

Although I'm mega fussy about the type , style , colour of jeans ( do wear camo's and hiking trousers ) , t-shirts have to be cotton

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm

Also true.

But still, we can do jeans tshirt combo, are we not men?

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 6:02 pm

Clothes are so important to me. A properly considered outfit is a work of art, you get a chance to make a work of art every day.

For me, the ability to express myself through my clothes is part of what makes them comfortable. So, yes, I can't wear layers or certain types of sleeves or waistbands because of sensory issues, but I would feel equally uncomfortable if the aesthetic effect was not accurately expressive of how I feel on the day. I had a restaurant job where you couldn't wear so much as a coloured scrunchie as it wasn't part of the uniform. I wore increasingly elaborate hairstyles every single day and got a bollocking for it every time. It was worth it though, I felt like my human rights were being violated :lol: .

Sometimes I can't figure out what to wear or nothing looks right or feels comfortable on me and I find it hard to recover the day from that point.

I would never go out to eat though so my answer doesn't count.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2019, 5:48 pm

Oh my, I haven't gone out to eat in over a month. It's a waste of money if you ask me. I'd think a picnic out in the country or going for a hike would be a much more desirable venue for meeting someone than going in a restauraunt.

In general what I wear depends on the weather forecast for that day. Cargo pants/shorts, t-shirt, or sweater, is my favourite outfit - exact outfit depends mostly on the temperature. On very rare occasions I will wear dress pants and a buttonup shirt, but that's maybe once a year if that.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:23 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I was reading an article this morning and it reminded me of how different I am from NTs.

But while they're stressed about what to wear, there’s a general consensus on what not to wear. Seventy-two percent agree they would never wear flip flops or sandals to a restaurant. url]

The other 28% live in Florida. :lol:

We do not go out to eat. Home is more comfortable and the food is better.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

I don't even bother with takeaways most of the time, let alone eating out. I prefer to have some control over what I eat (I want it to be healthy, hygienic, and tasty, by my own standards, not take pot luck in some businessman's swindle house), and the cost of home cooking is much nearer to what the meal's really worth. I'm happy with fairly simple food so it's not much hassle to prepare it myself. And homes are (hopefully) quieter than public eating houses, so if I'm eating with people I can hear what they're saying, and the whole environment is likely to be better, I can have a comfy chair and get myself a cup of tea whenever I want to, and not get told that they don't have green tea with soya milk.

As for choosing an outfit just to go to an eating place, I'd really rather not go to anywhere that was snobbish enough to have a dress code (don't like people telling me I've got to dress up), and for any other place I'd just wear what I had on. Obviously if I'm going to be out of the house and with people then I might scrub under my armpits and put on a fresh t-shirt because I wouldn't be able to simply use my own bathroom and bedroom to do that as necessary like I could if people were visiting me, and I wouldn't want to have to go home to change if I started to smell sweaty.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:59 pm

Basically whether I'm with people or not I always dress in a way that I personally think doesn't look too bad - in an ideal world I'd try to dress in order to look really good (according to my own standards of course), but I have to compromise with what I can get without too much expense and hassle, and comfort always wins over style - I want to stay at the right temperature and I must have secure pockets because I can't be bothered carrying stuff around and I hate losing things. I'm lucky if I own more than 2 shirts and 2 pairs of trousers that I like.

Though having said that, I've nothing against the idea of eating out, if anywhere can be found that sells food and drink I like at good prices, if it's fairly quiet. I've compromised a bit in order to be sociable, and that's not left me with any great regrets, and it has seemed to improve the bonding of the groups I've been with, though I don't do it much at all. I might even spruce myself up for it if the mood happened to take me, but if so then it would have to be just for fun. The moment it became a stressful matter to select what I was going to wear, I'd give up. Eating out should be a pleasure, a relaxing experience if it's to be done at all, and I see no point if it winds people up just choosing their monkey suits. If most NTs in the American mainstream are getting upset about, I think they've got their heads up their asses and I'm glad I've got the horse sense to be aloof from it.

[excuse my making 2 posts, CloudCrap struck again so I had to split my post into 2 to get it through]

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2019, 2:45 am

jimmy m wrote:

Half of Americans agree that deciding on an outfit is the most stressful part of dining out, according to new research.

Judging by what people in the UK wear then it sometimes seems they have chose their clothes with their eyes closed.

Most of the jeans have gaping big holes in them and the shirts are very "loud".

Colours clash, the sleeve lengths and shoulder coverage seems uneven, or the garment only covers half of the part of the body it is supposed to, or covers twice as much instead.

Their hair looks like it has been done blind folded too - with either a kitchen whisk or garden shears.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 11:08 am

^
Don't get me started on the Walmartians of the USA. At my absolute scruffiest when I desperately needed food but was too exhausted to fix my appearance, I felt positively dapper at the side of them.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2019, 2:13 am

[url]
https://www.google.co.uk/search?complet ... CAY&uact=5[/url]

Decisions..... Decisions..... which of these am I going to look my best in? :o
[url]
https://www.google.co.uk/search?complet ... CAY&uact=5[/url]

Then for the ladies..... The choice of jeans seem to be equally difficicult. Don't want to look like they've not made an effort not to appear scruffy...... :roll:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 10:16 am

^
Some great choices there for an interview shirt for a job in a bank. They're so colourful and jolly that they'd choose me immediately over all those other candidates in their boring outfits. I'm amazed nobody has thought of it before.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the funny news.
The last time I bought new pants, I went back to the store to complain about the quick wearing out. When asked what was wrong, I said "Ahh - they don't Cover me."