Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 5:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
How do people get to live in houses in those cities? Average home prices in the Bay Area are over $1 mil, and over $700,000 in Seattle. I don’t even want to know how expensive NYC is.

(For comparison, the average home price in Houston is ~$300,000)

Get a job working in tech.

Average google employee makes $112,849. Renting for $2000 a month will cost you $24,000 per year. Let's estimate you can save $40,000 per year.

In 5 years you have enough for a 20% downpayment on a million dollar house.

By the way, these companies paying these salaries are why housing is so damn expensive.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 5:36 pm

In 2017, Facebook median pay was $240,000/yr.
https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... 17-2018-4/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 6:10 pm

Antrax wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
How do people get to live in houses in those cities? Average home prices in the Bay Area are over $1 mil, and over $700,000 in Seattle. I don’t even want to know how expensive NYC is.

Average google employee makes $112,849. Renting for $2000 a month will cost you $24,000 per year. Let's estimate you can save $40,000 per year.

By the way, these companies paying these salaries are why housing is so damn expensive.

My degree is in geography, but I am self-taught in data science software/tech. Would that be sufficient?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 5:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
But how can you live in those places without being rich?

At least Washington state isn't:

—pushing “heartbeat” abortion laws
—pushing “bathroom laws”
—allowing the Bible to be taught in public schools
—using the “War on Drugs” as an excuse to disenfranchise people of color

Meanwhile, Texas is doing nothing to combat climate change. Just a little over 2 years ago, most of Houston was under water, yet people were more worried about being "raped by Mexicans" than rising seas.

Washington is making great strides to address it. It was the centerpoint of Inslee's presidential campaign.

Texas is doing nothing on gun control, despite a racially motivated mass shooting. When was the last time Seattle had a mass shooting?

Washington had made great strides to protect the LGBT community. The day of the Orlando shooting, Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick tweeted a bible verse that was tantamount to saying "they had it coming".

Why are you comparing a city to a state.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 4:28 pm

Cost of living is mostly a myth because in areas where it's cheaper you get paid less and in the Southeast it maybe the cheapest part of the country but it's also the poorest. Type in the cost of living myth on youtube and you will see what I am talking about.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 7:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

My degree is in geography, but I am self-taught in data science software/tech. Would that be sufficient?

It might be. Tech firms need more than just coding skills.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 4:44 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Gov. Newsom is expected to sign it.

I am very happy this is being addressed more aggressively.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-11/california-renters-relief-legislation-gavin-newsom-rent-cap?_amp=true

f*****g greedy landlords. Rent should only be raised if the bills go up and property taxes. Not to price gouge.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.