What’s the craziest theory you’ve ever heard for autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 9:46 pm

I’m fairly new to my ASD diagnosis and so I’m still learning what’s out there. I’m interested to hear what totally batsh*t crazy theories of autism some of the more seasoned members have encountered.

I ask this cause I came across a guy the other day who firmly believed that autism was the next stage of human evolution. He then told me that aliens had given autism as a gift to advance the human race. He believed aliens had done this by “seeding” the human genome with highly evolved alien DNA and this was why autism was increasing in prevalence. According to this guy autistics will continue to steadily increase in numbers until they become the dominant neurotype and usher in a new world order. This would result in a second renaissance of innovation and cultural and scientific understanding and achievement. Then the aliens would come and reveal themselves once the humans were advanced enough to interact with them.

I know autistic people can feel like aliens, but this sound's totality nuts to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 9:51 pm

That's...pretty crazy. Aliens seeding the human race with autism genes.

Have heard many crazy theories.

But my fav would have to be... the assertion that autism is the result of Cold War era CIA experiments with hybridizing humans with dolphins.

We aspies and auties all have a little bit of Flipper's DNA in us! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 9:56 pm

On the other hand. Maybe I shouldn't laugh at that theory. 8O

Actress Darryl Hannah is one of the few celebs to come out of the closet as a diagnosed aspie.

Here is some actual footage of Hannah eating seafood in a restaurant. Maybe she DOES have some dolphin DNA!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 10:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But my fav would have to be... the assertion that autism is the result of Cold War era CIA experiments with hybridizing humans with dolphins.

We aspies and auties all have a little bit of Flipper's DNA in us! :lol:

Ha ha, that's flippin nuts!

MC1729
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2019, 12:40 am

aquafelix wrote:
I’m fairly new to my ASD diagnosis and so I’m still learning what’s out there. I’m interested to hear what totally batsh*t crazy theories of autism some of the more seasoned members have encountered.

I ask this cause I came across a guy the other day who firmly believed that autism was the next stage of human evolution. He then told me that aliens had given autism as a gift to advance the human race. He believed aliens had done this by “seeding” the human genome with highly evolved alien DNA and this was why autism was increasing in prevalence. According to this guy autistics will continue to steadily increase in numbers until they become the dominant neurotype and usher in a new world order. This would result in a second renaissance of innovation and cultural and scientific understanding and achievement. Then the aliens would come and reveal themselves once the humans were advanced enough to interact with them.

I know autistic people can feel like aliens, but this sound's totality nuts to me.

You know what's even crazier? That's basically the plot of The Predator (2018). I'm not f*****g kidding. Aliens want to steal an autistic boy because autism is the next stage of evolution. So I guess we give the 'tism to them instead of them giving it to us, but still. (And also in the movie, they think Tourette's is just literally screaming swearwords at people.) I don't see what's with the "autism is the next stage of evolution" nonsense, you think that if it was, a) there would be no disabilities with autism, just the abilities b) there wouldn't be people severely handicapped by autism, and c) there wouldn't be autistic people all throughout history.

AQ Score: 46 out of 50

EQ Score: 5 out of 80

RDOS Score: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 145 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)