What topics, sentiments, etc. need more focus on WP?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:13 pm

Establishing an inventory of........topics, sentiments, etc. needing more focus here on WP is necessary to help navigate through a sometimes confusing/overwhelming WP environment.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:37 pm

Sports talk is one thing that comes to mind.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:37 pm

A dedicated section for scotland and all lovers of scotland and scottish things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:09 pm

The joy of asperger's.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:20 pm

Less Nazi threads would also be nice.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:45 pm

BDavro wrote:
A dedicated section for scotland and all lovers of scotland and scottish things.

More generally, a "Locales" section, with threads for each country, or, for large countries, threads for each major metropolitan area.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
BDavro wrote:

More generally, a "Locales" section, with threads for each country, or, for large countries, threads for each major metropolitan area.

No.

Just a section for Scotland.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 3:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The joy of asperger's.

I agree with this. And if it's too hard for some people, more focus on other positive things would also work if you ask me. Maybe we could start a positive post bombing on haven? :D

People making more topics about their special interests could help with that, too.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 2:17 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Sports talk is one thing that comes to mind.

On sports in general: Sports events allow people to forget about their concerns for a few hours - to feel cathartic experiences; regardless of whether or not one's team is winning.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 3:28 pm

Sports suck.

What we need is more cat videos!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 3:35 pm

Sports talk, ugh. :thumbdown:

I can easily think of the topics that need *less* focus, and they're all in the PPR and Loath and Hating forums.

How about more focus on topics about toys? :)
We could discuss what toys we had or really liked as kids, or toys we collect or like as adults, or what transitional objects we had as kids and/or still have now.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 3:39 pm

How animals help us and give us joy, and definitely include cute pictures!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 4:25 pm

A discussion thread in which people actually think and discuss, rather than yelling at each other. It seems that all the discussions turn into name calling and speaking disparagingly of various groups of people.

Perhaps another thread or section that those who want to do the name calling could indulge it without cessation. :D

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 2:56 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
How about more focus on topics about toys? :)
We could discuss what toys we had or really liked as kids, or toys we collect or like as adults, or what transitional objects we had as kids and/or still have now.

I'm in! Looking at the generation differences in topics like that would be interesting.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 8:12 am

Community sustainability most of all.

I like the idea of regional based threads, stickied threads based on countries, or regions within countries that have a larger WP membership.

Only concern is if the regions become too small, or cliques forming.

It would be nice if PPR had a broader global influence, the politics part in particular, only some posters bring in philosophical discussions and religious discussion is even quieter again. It was moving in positive directions at one point until understandably divisive American politics took it over.
I don't post there, but I used to enjoy reading PPR when there was more variety and it attracted a broader base.

More focus on mental health and ASD, there seems to be so much stigma there still.

Mens health and wellbeing, really it needs it's own subforum but in the absence of one, perhaps the health and fitness forum could work.

More integration generally, moving away from segregated notions, but in particular between parents and adults with ASD.

I read on wikipedia that WP is mentioned as a resource for students taking autism related studies in the USA, it would be great if they could also share their academic knowledge as well as using WP to gain knowledge.

In general... themes of inclusion tolerance and a recognition of the autistic nature of the membership.

Addressing the internalised bias about disability, I think that one is part of a cycle some people experience and to me it seems to fuel more harmful than helpful ways of being. As in I see (insert pronouns here) bias from categories within WP towards other categories of people on the spectrum. This is why I have reservations about regional threads. In group, out group mentality. Othering etc.

When new members join it would be good to have a stickied thread in the getting to know eachother forum, explaining that this place operates differently to a typical support site due to the fact that everyone else is on the spectrum or has a vested interest in ASD... As in everyone else is struggling too, so new members expectations from the outset would be more realistic putting less pressure on the same people time and time again.

This could help with retaining membership as it encourages more respectful, tolerant and inclusive mindsets, for everyone, not just the person in crisis.

It would be nice if people experiencing significant relationship difficulties could post in a better environment than love and dating, it's better no doubt than it was, but doesnt tend to attract sensible heads as a result of its reputation.

In fairness though, I remember that Tallyman wouldn't touch it with fire tongs or something like that. Much has changed there. Perhaps 'in depth adult' could adopt these threads, though with less foot fall this might not work for the person seeking advice.

Another sentiment that needs emphasis is the voluntary nature of this site, changes in the culture are not admin led, nor can the outcomes of hard work in this regard be attributed to anyone other than the membership base and voluntary mods.
A sentiment I think we badly need more of, is tolerance for the mods being autistic too. It feels at times that they are expected to appear/conduct themselves in an NT presentation. If they make mistakes, the reaction is merciless at times which makes it not ok for a autist to admit making a mistake. Every time this happens we create a culture of it being ok to have unreasonable expectations of people on the spectrum. Or simply just more intolerance.

Its the same mindset that's applied to autistic celebrities, I mean if we cant interpret 'our own' correctly with tolerance and respect for how different we all are, how on earth could we ever expect to foster this in others in the real world.

Top down to lead with as the benchmark, bottom up and then perhaps we can start addressing inside out.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 1:37 pm

Thank-you Amity for your post mentioning 'community sustainability most of all.'

One suggestion for this discussion thread draws close parallels to what those awesome creative-writing instructors (some of us had in our school-years) wanted to instill.

For example, how have experiences with posting, and reading WP contributed towards personal growth? Anybody find that WP experiences are cathartic, informative, and personally helpful?

Anybody feel that participating in the WP community may (or may not) have made a difference in boosting NT awareness of the Autism Spectrum?