Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

Is the ticking biological clock a social concept that we internalise, is it a biological need, is it an emotional/psychological want/need?

I decided and made peace with the idea that I would not have children almost 5 years ago now.
What made it difficult was that in my 20s I experienced at times what i can only call a completely hijacking of my rational self by a overwhelming desire to have children. Which I didn't pursue.

This has passed for the most part... at times if I'm holding a baby I feel it creep back into my consciousness, or see a mum and baby interacting the way I would have with my own, the experience doesn't hijack me like it used to though.
Looking at pre teens and teens is the best reality check.
Can anyone relate to this? Or not relate? Understand it and inclined to share?
All responses welcome.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 10:05 am

I sometimes wish I had a child.

I wonder if it would have matured me as a person.

And the fact that I nurtured another person, through me being a father, to become a good person.

All that cannot be taken away from you.

But I never had a kid----and I probably won't have one. I'm ambivalent about having one, even these days, because I don't know if I would fail as a father.

It's definitely something that's "missing" from my existence. I should have been a grandfather by now.

But I don't usually let it bother me too much. I think of the fact that when I retire, I could travel the world without having to find a babysitter.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sometimes wish I had a child.

I wonder if it would have matured me as a person.

And the fact that I nurtured another person, through me being a father, to become a good person.

All that cannot be taken away from you.

But I never had a kid----and I probably won't have one. I'm ambivalent about having one, even these days, because I don't know if I would fail as a father.

It's definitely something that's "missing" from my existence. I should have been a grandfather by now.

But I don't usually let it bother me too much. I think of the fact that when I retire, I could travel the world without having to find a babysitter.

Thanks for the response Mr Kortie, I'm happy that the womens section is inclusive...

Im certain I will have those moments too, feeling that something is missing from my existance, looking at the younger generations of my family, weddings, christenings, anniversaries/relative milestones that others have/will have, all bring it home to me as it stands. Knowing I wont have someone to be my advocate as I age, those sort of things.

I dont doubt my potential to be a great mother, what I am certain of is that I don't and wont have the resources, socially and financially for children of my own to be a realistic option.

I think you would have been a great dad, no doubt learning as you went, like everyone else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 4:33 pm

I know a woman who gave birth to healthy twins when she was about 55 years old.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 5:16 pm

OTOH, what about someone who did have children and then, at some critical stage long after the ticking clock has exerted its pull, you wonder, why the hell did I go through all that to end up with this. And not in a good way.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 12:58 am

blazingstar wrote:
OTOH, what about someone who did have children and then, at some critical stage long after the ticking clock has exerted its pull, you wonder, why the hell did I go through all that to end up with this. And not in a good way.

True, a valid concern I have considered, thanks blazingstar.

Everything changes, we can make plans but our future is unpredictable.
As we age we are more likely to conceive children with disabilities, this would be a non issue if I had that traditional social support network that existed for me in my 20s, but i don't have that or the resources I had back then either.
Plus as an older parent I would be committing to an increasing likelihood of not being there long term to support the person I had chosen to bring into the world. Not something that sits well with me either.

It sucks, but my sense of being moral and understanding of children tells me that the risks for a potential child are too high. It's not predetermined by any means, but the possible risks are off putting.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 7:26 am

I think it's about all of them; emotion, biological reasons and social pressure, but it depends on the person which of these are the strongest reasons for the clock to tic.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2019, 5:37 am

I don't think biologically it would go further than the need for sex.
It's social pressure, and emotional pressure if a negative thinking style is present that tends to regrets and looking back or fear of missing out. Humans are rarely satisfied with the way things are anyway.

One day your children aren't small and cute anymore and the time span during which they allegedly make your life more joyful is small.
Are your parents' lives better NOW at this point in time because they had you?

In some countries the parents in old age might be dependent on their children so it can pay off.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:31 am

I had to fight to have kids and at the climax of that story knew my struggle needed to be over one way or another: child-free, medical interventions, adoption. I was open to any solution (given my NT husband's support for the child options). I wondered how much I wanted kids and how much I wanted to do what I was "supposed" to do - or was simply angry I wasn't achieving what I said I would do. I am respectful but fairly standoffish with kids. I was actually looking forward to menopause b/c then it would be out of my hands. As "fate" would have it, I have kids. I see it as one way it went; it could have gone another way. There are Pros and Cons for each. My Aspie-like BFF does not have children, nor a sister-in-law (OCD at least). Socially there are in the minority. I am a touch as an "older" mom.

However, I have considered for the future fostering older children (with my NT husband's support), mainly b/c I get it: I get the turmoil. In some ways I can relate to and understand these children going through tough times. I can give them space for that. I suppose that would be a type of "clock" also --- I've met a few older women (Aspie included) who approaching 60 or 70 wanted to do something more community minded (non-profits -or nearly so, etc.).

When I was exploring child-free, a child-free woman leader said she was very happy with her life but still got the occasional "sloppy kiss" pang (see a kid run up and give parent sloppy kiss) - which diminishes over time. I am sure she understood that likewise a parent has the occasional "hands free" pang (not subject to the demands of littles) - which diminishes over time.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:27 pm

Amity wrote:
Is the ticking biological clock a social concept that we internalise, is it a biological need, is it an emotional/psychological want/need?

Since you posted this under Women's Discussion, I didn't know if you mean to restrict the responses to females only.

The biological clock is quite real. When you reach your teen years you pass into puberty. For women generally around the age of 45 to 55, they pass through menopause and lose their ability to have children.

Does having children meet an emotional/psychological need? I believe so. My wife and I had 2 children and now 5 grandchildren. I suspect my life would be rather different had I not married and had children. They are part of my driving force on earning a living. Raising a family is a great responsibility. Providing for them and their needs meant that I had to have a razor sharp focus at work. It meant that even when the times were rough, I had to endure for their sakes. Being an Aspie, many times I was not able to meet the emotional needs of my NT wife. But my children were there filling in the gap.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 5:09 pm

Hi Jimmy I posted it here to ensure a female theme to the replies, but I welcome responses from everyone! We all bring something to the table. :)

(This section welcomes respectful male participation, if however only female responses are sought 'women only' is stated in the title.)

To reply in general...
I do think my parents lives were better for having children, it forced them to grow as people.
I'm not so sure that my life would be better for having children though. In some ways yes, for the emotional/psychological need, but that to me isnt alone a good reason to have children. There are practicalities to consider.
I'm fortunate to be born into an era of choice, and for that I give a nod to the people who made it possible.
If I didn't have other options, I would be ok for a while... I dont believe that I'd have the razor sharp capability to provide for a family, meet their needs in a way that minimises risks to their long term wellbeing and retain my health.
I haven't ruled out fostering (at a point in time when I'm in a position to do this) but again I have to prioritise my self care.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:19 pm

I do want at least one biological child, but the fear and anxiety of pregnancy makes me become avoidant. Being pregnant can cause changes to the body, and some small changes can be permanent. One of my friends said she hardly ever threw up before she was pregnant, but ever since she fell pregnant and had her baby, she's been more prone to throwing up, as in not being able to fight the urge to throw up when nauseous. And she had her baby 5 years ago and is still prone to stomach flus, travel sickness and hangovers even without drinking much. So if getting pregnant can permanently change some of your bodily habits then I think I'll pass.

It's so unfair that women have to suffer pregnancy and childbirth, not to mention hormone changes, while men can just enjoy their baby without any physical pain or changes. My sensory issues make me more sensitive to pain than most other people. I find PAP tests extremely painful, a pain that gets passed off as "it's all in your head".

If I was a guy, I'd have found a girl with no fear of pregnancy, and had a baby by now. :cry:

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:24 pm

I'm grateful that I had enough sense to not have kids. I come from four generations of family dysfunction, and I'm proud of myself for breaking the cycle.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:34 pm

Amity wrote:

I decided and made peace with the idea that I would not have children almost 5 years ago now.
What made it difficult was that in my 20s I experienced at times what i can only call a completely hijacking of my rational self by a overwhelming desire to have children. Which I didn't pursue.

This has passed for the most part... at times if I'm holding a baby I feel it creep back into my consciousness, or see a mum and baby interacting the way I would have with my own, the experience doesn't hijack me like it used to though.
Looking at pre teens and teens is the best reality check.
Can anyone relate to this? Or not relate? Understand it and inclined to share?
All responses welcome.

I am the greatest uncle.

I have about 28 cousins, and those have had children well, their kids love me and call me uncle.
The truth is I prefer their company over that of the adult's at family gatherings.

I don't want kids, I'm not sure I could be the father I'd need to be, I'm not sure if I'd ever sleep another night if I had a child, well, being male, it would be quite the shock if I gave birth to a child.

Probably rather painful, too.

I'm at peace with not having children, though I have been aware of the biological urge/kick, it's not something you can point at, but it's there and you are aware of it, looming almost.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 1:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
I do want at least one biological child, but the fear and anxiety of pregnancy makes me become avoidant. Being pregnant can cause changes to the body, and some small changes can be permanent. One of my friends said she hardly ever threw up before she was pregnant, but ever since she fell pregnant and had her baby, she's been more prone to throwing up, as in not being able to fight the urge to throw up when nauseous. And she had her baby 5 years ago and is still prone to stomach flus, travel sickness and hangovers even without drinking much. So if getting pregnant can permanently change some of your bodily habits then I think I'll pass.

It's so unfair that women have to suffer pregnancy and childbirth, not to mention hormone changes, while men can just enjoy their baby without any physical pain or changes. My sensory issues make me more sensitive to pain than most other people. I find PAP tests extremely painful, a pain that gets passed off as "it's all in your head".

If I was a guy, I'd have found a girl with no fear of pregnancy, and had a baby by now. :cry:

Being avoidant is something I would question before accepting the child free route Joe :) .
I'm ok with the decision (not exactly doing cartwheels in delight), but I have no desire to look back with avoidable regret, hence still questioning it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 1:20 am

Ashariel wrote:
I'm grateful that I had enough sense to not have kids. I come from four generations of family dysfunction, and I'm proud of myself for breaking the cycle.

I would like to have that resolute mindset, ultimately I know that I will feel pride in staying with the right decision, but my reasons are practical minded. I guess it's not having the choice be available because of lack of resources that I need to be more ok with.
Which isnt really all too different to your reasons... thank you.