Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 8:39 pm

Is fish bad for cats? Someone told me that fish is bad for cats.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 10:58 pm

It's not particularly "bad" for them, but not necessarily the best either.

Fish tends to have higher levels of phosphorus and that can be problematic for urinary track health.

There's also a lot of histamines in fish. Usually that's a good thing because it can help ward off inflammation, but histamines can cause allergy reactions. Everyone responds differently to histamines including cats. I have a cat that can only tolerate White fish, anything else comes back up.

There's always some concern for things like toxins and heavy metals, as there is with our own consumption of fish. Tuna tends to be big carrier of this stuff.

If you're feeding fish like from a can (not a cat food) or from you plate there are other things you have to look out for. Example: Salt is often used to preserve and where a human can tolerate but its no good for kitty.

Most good cat food brands with fish aren't something to worry about too much. You don't want a fish only diet as that could cause a thiamine deficiency, but it's fine for now and then. It is a high protein source a omegas.