Family's reaction to your ASD/Asperger's/Autism diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 12:18 am

Positive/negative/indifferent etc .

Although my sister wrote a letter for my assessment her reaction after I got the diagnosis has been indifferent ,in that she hasn't commented at all on it. Neither has my father . My brother has said that it's good that it's been acknowledged, but a shame it took so long .

Last edited by firemonkey on 18 Sep 2019, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 12:22 am

I didn't tell my mother. She's in her 80s and we barely speak. I mentioned it to my brother via text in the midst of a different conversation about our health, and he didn't comment. I told one cousin in America via Facebook, and she said something like "Oh, I can see that!", before changing the subject. My family isn't known for communicating thoughts or feelings so this isn't unusual at all. No one really speaks to anyone about significant issues, and especially not me, because I'm selective mute.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:48 am

My family weren't fazed at all (My family is full of ASD, so they are well educated), but my wife's family is another story entirely.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm

My mother had suspected it when I was young. So I suppose her reaction was a mix of vindication and frustration. No one was willing to make the diagnosis when I was a kid and people she tried to talk to about my "different ness" tended to just tell her she was being hysterical because she was a first time mom.

I didn't exactly announce it to anyone else. So I have no idea what they think or feel about it. No one says anything about it, not that I talk to them much anyway. Honestly I don't think most of them would care or have any real understanding of it.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm

My mum helped me get my diagnosis in that she spoke to my psychologist on the phone and answered questions. But afterwards she felt really guilty that she hadn't seen it earlier. So she refused to talk to me about it any more than the bare minimum.

I told my dad I'm autistic and he was like "ok". And that's as far as it went.

My twin told me to stop obsessing over it after I brought the subject up with her twice.

The only one who has accepted it is my second oldest sister. She told my mum that she knew I was different. She also told her neighbours, who have an autistic son. But she hasn't spoken with me directly about it.

I gather it's the same kind of pattern with other people here. It's a slippery subject that is somewhat difficult to convey verbally.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 11:28 pm

Don't know about dad, probably not accepted it. Not sure. He was upset when it heard about it.

Mom's just worried. Tried a balancing act, but doesn't really know what to do.
Everyone else kept quiet about it.

They generally let me be.

I'm rather grateful for it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.