7-year-old autistic taken from school in handcuffs

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:13 am

Fox San Antonio

Quote:
Disturbing cellphone video shows a 7-year-old boy with Autism, being taken from a San Antonio school Monday in handcuffs.

Arias said her son was diagnosed with Autism and a mood disorder when he was 5.

"Maybe something that's not a big deal to everyone else, is a big deal to him,” Arias said. “He doesn't understand how to calm himself down from that."

Arias said her son had an outburst Monday during class. She claimed the disagreement involved a computer program, but escalated as a result of her son’s mood disorder.

The mother said San Antonio Independent School District (SAISD) workers tried calling her and the boy’s father, but misdialed. The cellphone video was taken by the boy’s dad moment later, after he eventually received the message and went to the school. In the video, you can see school district police alongside the young boy in handcuffs, crying.

"No kid should have to be put in handcuffs,” Arias said. “Let alone, a kid that has mental illnesses or disabilities."

“There are times when children are in crisis, hurting themselves, and need emergency detention – and handcuffing is part of the process, to keep the child safe,” said Leslie Price, a spokesperson from SAISD. “When this happens, they are taken to a hospital for medical attention.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman