Innocence of kids when playing imaginary games

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:56 am

Children are so cute when they play imaginative games and see the adult world through innocent eyes. Share your memories if you played imaginative games when you were little, and what innocent things you included in the game. This applies to NTs too!

I'll start, to give you an idea of what I mean (since I'm not very good at explaining).

When I was about 6, I was pretending to be a postman (mailman) in my house. I wrote out a note on a piece of paper for every room of the house (I was pretending each room was a different house). On the pieces of paper I wrote ''it is a busy day'', because I didn't really know what else to write and 'send' as 'letters' to 'people'. :lol: In the adult world you wouldn't exactly get a letter through your door telling you that it is a busy day in one sentence. :lol:

If only the world was as simple as it was through the imagination of an innocent child. :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 8:31 am

Got plenty, most of which involving childhood friends and cousins.
From ages 5-12, it lasts variably about 2 hours to a span of several hours per ongoing days.

Had played:
Cops and robbers
Teachers and students
Doctors and patients
War soldiers
Angels and demons
Households
Fashion models and dress up
Cooking and baking
Science and experiments (both play and realistic)
Fake weddings
Driving
Camping
Ghost hunting
Several story pretend plays involving videogame and TV series character roles with a 'fanfiction' of our own making :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 12:20 pm

How about games that grown ups took another way because of their dirty minds?

I liked being tied up as a kid and always pretending to be a victim and I am being tied up like I had seen on TV. But this was always getting me screamed at by duty ladies on the play ground and getting into trouble and I couldn't understand why they were getting mad at me for playing and I was confused how being tied up was naughty. Now I wonder if the duty ladies were into BDSM and they were projecting. I was eight years old. Kids may do things that are innocent but look bad but grown up forget these are children here. If a four year old put on a diaper and put a bib on and put a pacifier in their mouth and started crawling around and going "goo goo gah gah." I doubt the parents are going to freak out and think their kid has become a ABDL and has gotten a diaper fetish.

I mean what is next, freaking out when a kid wants to be cuffed because they were playing a criminal and they need their friend to cuff them because they are the police. Oh no the kid must be into bondage. :roll:

Grown ups. :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 12:46 am

I love seeing kids run around playing such games. I love seeing them have fun, without a care in the world.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 9:39 am

Around 8-10 years old, I had a paracosm and several imaginary friends. Every toy of mine had a name and a backstory. I didn't like to share my toys since I had rather rigid roles for them. Often it would upset me if someone picked up a toy of mine and called it by another name. Especially if they did something with that toy that was out of character for how I perceived that toy. I'd get annoyed at my sister when she would try to join in when I was playing with my barbies. She'd take one of them to the spar, and I'd complain "No, Barbie can't do that! She's in the middle of fighting her nemesis, she doesn't have time for that!"

I used to treat my Barbies more like a game of superheroes. There was a good one (the hero) and a bad one (the villain). Ken was the one who had to be rescued in the majority of situations. Good Barbie was always having to save him. I hated realistic dolls that looked like toddlers (they scared me, and I still find them freaky even now) but I didn't mind Barbies. Except one baby doll I used to have, but that was before I developed a phobia (long story).

My friends and I would pretend to set up play-dates for our imaginary friends. Also, another girl at my school had an imaginary world of her own, so we'd pretend to visit each other's world. Sometimes we'd pretend to be busy in our world, and that instead of being ourselves one of us would pretend to be someone else taking messages for them.

It would go along the lines of;

Quote:
Me: Hey, (friend's name)!

Friend: Sorry, they're not here right now. Currently (name) is (insert activity here) in their world. However, I can take a message if you like. My name is (insert name).

On numerous occasions we'd both pretend to be in our worlds at the same time, so there were situations where we'd have two messenger characters interact with one another. We usually alternated between a few different characters, but occasionally we'd introduce new ones. I found it quite fun interacting with her characters, either whilst playing myself or as one of my own characters. Although, I preferred certain personas over others. We'd sometimes have phone calls without breaking character at all. Or we'd write letters to each other's characters (didn't post them, just exchanged them at school), or even design posters and leaflets for events going on in each other's imagination.

We were both very invested in this. It was a big part of my childhood. Looking back, I think we both needed an escape from the events that were going on around us.

Interestingly, my imaginary friends didn't tend to stay long. Usually they'd have some sort of problem that they'd come to me for advice on, and I'd help them. For instance, I had one who was a girl that had been accused of a crime she didn't commit. I'd pretend to hang out with her in my room and discuss how we were going to prove her innocence. Then I imagined a court case, and once I had gotten the truly guilty party arrested I no longer imagined this imaginary friend.

Some stayed longer than others, but there was usually some sort of plot line where I'd solve some sort of issue, and we'd hang out until it was solved. 8)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:36 am

I used to pretend to be a doctor, a teacher, a mommy, a babysitter, a librarian, an artist, a superhero, a puppeteer, an adventurer, an explorer, a deep-sea diver and a lifeguard. :)

Naturally I preferred playing most of these games by myself with dolls or stuffed animals. I would play with my best friend occasionally, but she was incredibly bossy and had to have the "story" in the game go her own way or she'd get angry at me, and sometimes I just wanted to leave and go inside my house because I was tired of it, and she couldn't understand that either. Why couldn't other kids realize I didn't want to be around them 24 hours a day? :roll:

I once read a Ramona book where Ramona and one of her friends would play "brick factory", where they'd crush a bunch of old discarded bricks slowly into dust with a rock. Calling it "Brick factory" was silly because they were wrecking bricks and not making them, but Ramona's mom liked it because it kept Ramona out of trouble. I started my own game called Rock Factory, since I didn't have any bricks. :lol:

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:40 am

My sister and I used to play with an older girl who would pretend to be our mum, then she would die in a horrific accident, then become a wicked orphanage owner and finally become a nice lady who adopted us!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:42 am

domineekee wrote:
My sister and I used to play with an older girl who would pretend to be our mum, then she would die in a horrific accident, then become a wicked orphanage owner and finally become a nice lady who adopted us!

What a series of unfortunate events! 8O

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:44 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
domineekee wrote:

What a series of unfortunate events! 8O

Yeah, then she would put us on a horse and smack it's arse :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:45 am

I was Susie from Crocodile Rock, I had Cindy Brady's ringlets, and I was married to Elton John for eight years. Gene Simmons from KISS was our Best Man at the wedding. We lived in my play fort. I had pretend (silent) arguments with Elton's mother, which were scripted from watching Fred Flintstone fight with his Mother-In-Law.

No one else was allowed to join my imaginary paracosm.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 1:58 pm

I used to play imaginative games on the grass outside my grandmother's house. There were also some trees that were easy to climb, and some rocks to stop people from parking their cars on the grass. I made up all sorts of games there. But looking back, I think I looked silly, because it was near a public footpath, so when people walked by they just saw this kid jumping and running around talking loudly to herself. I know I was only a young child playing but I don't seem to come across many children playing by themselves outside and having conversations with thin air. If I do see a small child playing on their own and talking to themselves they usually have a bike or a scooter with them. The reason I played alone there a lot was because I went to my grandmother's a lot and there weren't any other kids to play with in the neighbourhood.