Do you consider distant cousins family?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

97AlanD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2019, 7:21 pm

There's this second cousin that's a well known musician in my family. I have many second cousins because I'm from a catholic family. Earlier I was trying to get free tickets to go to his concert like I've heard he does for family members, but he didn't. So then I told my friend what happened and my friend asked how closely I'm related to him. I told him that he's the son of my parents first cousin. Then he said that I'm acting like this guy is like my first cousin. He told me that my first cousins and my first cousin once removed (parents first cousins) or whatever it's called is considered family and anything more distant than that just throw out the window. Mentioning that they're barely related to me and that I can have sex with them and it wouldnt be incest. Then I told him that I have second cousins that are special to me and he said, "yeah, maybe if you grew up with them they could be a family kind of thing to you, but you didnt." But what's your opinion

Twinleaf
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2019, 10:05 pm

Your friend is pretty much right. I only consider them family in pure technical sense.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2019, 8:20 pm

I consider them relatives, not family. To me, family are those who are direct in line from me vertically (parents, grandparents etc above, children, children's children etc below) and horizontally (brothers and sisters).
By the way, I wouldn't consider second cousins or cousins x times removed as partners, they are still relatives to me, even if I hardly know them, so that'd seem wrong no matter how allowed it is.

Everything else = relatives. I suppose they could feel like family if you have a close knit group of relatives.

I wouldn't expect free tickets from someone that far removed from me, unless maybe if we were very close.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers