Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2019, 11:13 am

The English may think they are hurting the Germans, by pulling the United Kingdom out of the European Union. In truth, they will end up hurting themselves the most. For, after all, once Britain is out of the EU, the United Kingdom shall itself disassemble into its components: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. And, speaking of Northern Ireland, the Irish Nationalists shall have their dream of a United Ireland. And, we all know what would happen to the Protestants of Ulster!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 12:36 am

All for the stupidity of nationalism.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2019, 6:39 pm

England will soon destroy itself, out of hatred for their German cousins. It breaks my heart to even think about it, but it shall probably happen within the next decade. Used to consider myself to be an Anglo-phile, an admirer of the British Empire and the like. But, no longer!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 2:08 am

As an American, I was surprised when I read about how low income British people are, especially medical doctors.

This probably has to do with the falling pound.

Taxes are scary, if the chart here is accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_ ... ed_Kingdom

40% tax at only £46,351 of employment income??? OMG. OMG. OMG. It's hard to believe that's even true.

Looks like there is a "personal allowance" that mitigates that somewhat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_allowance

Likely, they have taxed and indebted themselves so much to ensure the pound will keep falling, the incomes will keep falling, their net standard of living will keep falling.

Makes sense they're looking for hope.

I thought this movie was interesting …

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

For decades, the best careers in Britain were in finance, leaving careers in medicine to immigrants. Hence the lower wages.
It should also be noted that until recently, a graduate from medical school would be 30.000 pound in debt - not the American 120.000 USD.

I also don't think Brexit is rooted in anti German sentiment, in particular. Rather in an elite having successfully convinced the public that not it, but the EU was the reason for the wealth divide and neoliberal policies.
Said elite is also planning on turning London into Singapore - so it won't be England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland after Brexit, it will be London and the rest.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 6:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Try to just listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Mod edit: removed personal attack, also from subsequent quotes - The_Walrus

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 6:15 pm

The EU is now openly talking about forming an Empire. They want to sign us in to a EU Defense Union which would mean commands to our army would come from a bunch of unelected cretins in Brussels.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 8:12 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
The EU is now openly talking about forming an Empire. They want to sign us in to a EU Defense Union which would mean commands to our army would come from a bunch of unelected cretins in Brussels.

Since I live in the EU, and no one here is taking openly about forming an empire, I googled the definition of empire to say what you might be talking about. But it seems, you're mistaking empire and federation -

I agree about the unelected cretins in Brussels, however, I'm for democratizing the Union, rather than giving it up.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 9:17 pm

shlaifu wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Since I live in the EU, and no one here is taking openly about forming an empire, I googled the definition of empire to say what you might be talking about. But it seems, you're mistaking empire and federation -

I agree about the unelected cretins in Brussels, however, I'm for democratizing the Union, rather than giving it up.

It will NEVER change. It's like being in favour of turning the seas into beer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe you should listen to people whose interests go beyond nationalism.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 7:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe you should listen to people whose interests go beyond nationalism.

I do listen to people I disagree with.

The kind of nationalism I support is the right to self determination, true democracy and the right not to be controlled by a foreign power.

Where as you support the Nazi style nationalism of the US going round the world bombing people and controlling their land and resources.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2019, 7:41 am

Metal Rat wrote:
England will soon destroy itself, out of hatred for their German cousins. It breaks my heart to even think about it, but it shall probably happen within the next decade. Used to consider myself to be an Anglo-phile, an admirer of the British Empire and the like. But, no longer!

I think it's a big stretch to say that Brexit is motivated by "hatred for Germans". General xenophobia certainly played a major part but it isn't the full story, and it's much more about foreigners as a homogenous mass than specific anti-German or anti-French sentiment.

The actions of the Johnson government are certainly legitimate targets for criticism, but the British Empire did much worse than this. And remember, most people in Britain, and even England, do not support the government's actions.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 9:36 am

JohnPowell wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

It will NEVER change. It's like being in favour of turning the seas into beer.

Let me know when the EU is taking control of the UK by force, rather than by offering access to trade in a huge market.

"it willNever change" is a historically short-sighted statement.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 10:00 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:

I think it's a big stretch to say that Brexit is motivated by "hatred for Germans". General xenophobia certainly played a major part but it isn't the full story, and it's much more about foreigners as a homogenous mass than specific anti-German or anti-French sentiment.

The actions of the Johnson government are certainly legitimate targets for criticism, but the British Empire did much worse than this. And remember, most people in Britain, and even England, do not support the government's actions.

Cameron called the referendum during the refugee crisis, God knows why, considering that he is a remainer. Brexit wasn't an important issue for the British people, but an issue that divided the Conservative party.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2019, 1:25 pm

domineekee wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:

Cameron called the referendum during the refugee crisis, God knows why, considering that he is a remainer. Brexit wasn't an important issue for the British people, but an issue that divided the Conservative party.

Cameron wanted to get the issue out of the way. He was arrogant and thought it would be an easy win after he won two elections and two referenda. He thought Remain would win easily and then he could crack on with the other things he wanted to do. And frankly I can't even remember what those were.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 2:27 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
domineekee wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:

Cameron wanted to get the issue out of the way. He was arrogant and thought it would be an easy win after he won two elections and two referenda. He thought Remain would win easily and then he could crack on with the other things he wanted to do. And frankly I can't even remember what those were.

Cameron's "Big society" :roll:

Really, the timing for the referendum couldn't have been worse, what with the refugee crisis on the news every day for months on end.
The EU stayed quiet instead of coming to the UK and campaigning for us to remain.

If Johnson gets a deal we will be stuck with him for years.