Autistic people hating successful Autistic people?

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 2:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Ever since Obama was elected, there has been a leftist conspiracy to make everyone nice. Israel is behind it."

You made my evening :lol:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:18 pm

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Ever since Obama was elected, there has been a leftist conspiracy to make everyone nice. Israel is behind it."
You made my evening!
Now THAT's what I need to see more of -- people laughing over one of my stupid jokes!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You made my evening!
Now THAT's what I need to see more of -- people laughing over one of my stupid jokes!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:30 pm

magz wrote:
Hmm … I have a sneaky suspicion that those two aren't laughing at my jokes as much as they're laughing at me.

:hmph:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2019, 2:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Hmm … I have a sneaky suspicion that those two aren't laughing at my jokes as much as they're laughing at me.

:hmph:

Oh, you don't identify with them. Sorry.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You made my evening!

For what it's worth (and leaving the controversy aside) I think you have a solid sense of humour and often great insights. Hell, at the risk of embarrassing you, you've openly been very helpful and supportive of some people here :twisted:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:41 pm

Well … the one on the left does kinda resemble me … but I can assure you that we are not related.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:44 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
For what it's worth (and leaving the controversy aside) I think you have a solid sense of humour and often great insights. Hell, at the risk of embarrassing you, you've openly been very helpful and supportive of some people here.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:46 pm

^
Am I ruining your reputation? :wink:

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:51 pm

I never encountered it but I could see why. Maybe their success makes you feel like a failure, maybe you had an identity with yourself and they broke it, Maybe you're just a person that gets jealous easily, etc.

I'm usually happy when someone with autism is successful, it gives me the inspiration to do the same! I only don't like it when others compare me to them or if said successful person trivialized my problems or people start idealizing autism itself into something awesome when that's not necessarily true(because you have autism you will be good with technology). Other than that I'm happy for them.

As for Fnord I like his personality. Though he does come off as a little condescending or snarky I think we need that at times. Balances the site out and also teaches that not everyone you meet will beat around the bush with their advice. He also help with people that just need a good slap of reality(at times I need it myself). Sometimes you just need the truth and he's here to give it to you(honestly sometimes I feel we don't have enough of his type of personality around here.)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:52 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Am I ruining your reputation?

Mother: Stop that! I'm trying to protect your reputation!

Daughter: But Mom! I don't even have a reputation!

Mother: And THAT is why I'm trying to protect it!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 8:26 pm

Anyone could "hate" or like, anyone, for any reason, or no reason

Sometimes nobody knows the reason

Some people are better at doing some things than others

Savant

Splinter skill

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2019, 9:38 pm

I don't think Fnord sounds condescending/ snarky to me.
But I'm the type of person who gets told that I'm condescending.

Quote:
I don't recall ever seeing such an attitude here on Wrong Planet, for example. Elsewhere, I've seen resentment against successful autistic people mainly not by autistic people themselves, but by parents of severely disabled autistic people, arguing that the broadness of the autistic spectrum, as currently defined, trivializes their children's problems.

Not here. I've seen these negative people in multiple autism groups on facebook.
People there have a lot of negativity.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 10:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing such an attitude here on Wrong Planet, for example. Elsewhere, I've seen resentment against successful autistic people mainly not by autistic people themselves, but by parents of severely disabled autistic people, arguing that the broadness of the autistic spectrum, as currently defined, trivializes their children's problems.

I have. I'm not even talking about putting down some very famous autistic person that could even make NTs jealous, but autistic people who have been able to do everyday things that some other autistic people can't. These people often claim that the succesful one is lying. Another thing that I see here is belittleling the succesful person's skills by saying that they must be really lucky, like luck was the only reason they achieved something and skills had nothing to do with it.

Skills themselves are partly (though not entirely, of course) due to luck -- and that includes "everyday" skills. For example, one person I know is an excellent programmer but still can't tie his shoes in such a way that they stay tied for very long.

Many autistic people have lopsided ability profiles like this, and there are, alas, many who simply don't have sufficient talents to compensate for their disabilities. (There probably are many, also, who have talents that were never developed due to bad education and/or parenting.) This is to a large degree a matter of luck, including both genetics and upbringing.

Of course, success usually requires hard work as well, but it should not be assumed that the latter is the only factor, or that everyone could succeed at something if only they would work hard.

Partly, yes, like the part about happening to have a good teacher (if you had one) or having parents who could afford to buy you stuff that could hone your skills.

But even so, luck only gives you chances. It is with skills that one makes use of those chanses.

Of course, this doesn't apply to things like winning a lottery; that's just luck.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 3:20 am

There is this phenomenon that has to do with being "the other" in society.
Unlike people in a position of privilege whose successes and failures are attributed to their individuality, successes and failures of "others" are often attributed to their category. I think this is at least in part to blame for the resentment some people may feel.

For example:

If an NT loses his job we assume it was something to do with what he did or his particular circumstance. If he wins a Nobel Prize we assume it had to do with him being really smart or hard-working as an individual.

On the other hand if an autistic person loses his job, you know people will assume it's because he is autistic. If he gets a Nobel Prize, you KNOW people will say his autism was what helped him do it.

Part of marginalization is the loss of individual identity in the eyes of society. We get treated as tokens who individually "speak for our group" instead of individual people with individual thoughts and abilities. So while I don't think it is good to hate on successful autistic people, I can understand people's frustration with the situation they end up in. It's a lose-lose deal for everyone involved.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Sep 2019, 3:25 am

Fern wrote:
There is this phenomenon that has to do with being "the other" in society.
Unlike people in a position of privilege whose successes and failures are attributed to their individuality, successes and failures of "others" are often attributed to their category. I think this is at least in part to blame for the resentment some people may feel.

Illustration:
Source: https://xkcd.com/385/