Can I make real-life friends through Wrong Planet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

alexagirard98
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2019, 10:28 pm

I'm a 21 year old girl with high functioning Autism. Because I have Autism, I struggle with social skills and making friends. My neuro-typical peers don't understand me and won't give me a chance as a friend. I tried using that app called Bumble BFF to meet new people and make friends, but none of my matches on Bumble BFF seemed to like me. There's no one with special needs on Bumble BFF, so all of my matches were NT. NONE of my matches understood me. I would try joining a Meetup group for people with Autism, but there are NO Meetup groups for people with Autism near me. However, there are likely other people with Autism who live near me, and I feel like I could meet them through Wrong Planet. I'm not looking for online friends or pen-pals. I'm looking for real-life friends who I can see in person and hang out with. Is there a way i can meet real-life friends on here? This website is mainly for people with Autism, right? How can I SAFELY say where I live and ask others on Wrong Planet if they live near me, without anyone getting catfished or kidnapped? I feel like Wrong Planet can be JUST like Bumble BFF in a way, but for people with Autism. If there's a way to meet fellow Autistic people on here who live close to me, can you please tell me how? When i meet them, can I ask them for their e-mail address as a more appropriate way of contacting them? Please help me! I need true friends! I want plans on the weekends! I want to be invited places like my friends' houses, the mall, the movies and parties! If I can't find real-life friends on here, where can I find fellow Autistic people who live near me? Thank you!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 1:50 am

I would suggest that, in your profile, you include your approximate location in the form of the nearest major metro area, so that people here can know whether they live somewhere near you.

If it turns out that anyone else lives in the same area, exchange PMs for a while, then meet in-person in a public place somewhere, like an inexpensive restaurant.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 8:58 am

^ This. You can also go through other people's profiles too to see if they have their locations on display and check if someone could live on your area.

Just do remember that if you do meet someone face to face, pick the meeting place to be some public space with a decent amount of people the first few times, just in case. You can never know what kind of person's attention you get while online.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 3:20 pm

You can makes friends in real-life on WP. Like others have said you could give a location near you and see if there are others near by. For long distance you could video chat and use your phone(said this cause this will probably happen more often).

It will take time though and having to visit more often and chat around a bit. Also best to keep an open mind and not get your expectations too high as just cause you meet someone on the spectrum doesn't mean you will get along.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 6:28 am

Sure, it could definitely happen.

Marriages have occurred via WrongPlanet.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 1:15 pm

Am 60 yrs now ..female widowed many years now.hubby was best friend ever . After he passed became a target for every trickster you could imagine . But am able to be self sufficient .
Would be very nice to make friends here through WP but all things considered , am pretty much resigned to being alone . These things have taken their toll but, especially here can still smile , having recently found this place . Wishing all well

where ever you go ,there you are