Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:45 pm

red_doghubb wrote:
I have a neighbor who is a self declared empath. Brags about it even. But she has an aggressive temperament, and is pretty judgmental. She went once on rant about how ppl who commit suicide are selfish even as I tried to explain to her just how deep and dark it can get for someone to get to that state. Her reasoning is she was depressed once and got through it so anyone can.

some empath.

Yeah not everyone who claims to be an empath is actually one so I take it as a grain of salt. I would have to see it before I believe they are. Anything people say about themselves is just their opinion and how they view themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 2:45 pm

League_Girl wrote:
WalkerTR wrote:
I saw a documentary about an 8 year old girl being separated from her parents due to immigration laws in north Korea and it really disturbed me and I felt a lot of empathy. My daughter was about the same age at the time too.

If you could watch that and feel nothing then you would qualify as having zero empathy. I think that would be the ultimate test.

When it comes to day-to-day stuff like someone losing an object I don't really feel anything.

I think you are confusing empathy with sympathy.

he said he had a daughter too, so he may mean empathy...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:46 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
But I am the opposite, I never felt peoples emotions or their feelings even when they would be crying or shouting and being upset.

People who have an Aspergers syndrome are this way. Beside of this people who feel to much empathy may be autistic too but their condition it's a totally different thing.
League_Girl wrote:
Is there anyone who is the opposite of having too much empathy?

I'm this way too.

Do you mean having too much empathy or not enough?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Is there anyone who is the opposite of having too much empathy?

I'm this way too.

Do you mean having too much empathy or not enough?

I'm lacking it too. That's why I'm here. But at least I'm aware of that now.

Last edited by quite an extreme on 23 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WalkerTR
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
WalkerTR wrote:
I saw a documentary about an 8 year old girl being separated from her parents due to immigration laws in north Korea and it really disturbed me and I felt a lot of empathy. My daughter was about the same age at the time too.

If you could watch that and feel nothing then you would qualify as having zero empathy. I think that would be the ultimate test.

When it comes to day-to-day stuff like someone losing an object I don't really feel anything.

I think you are confusing empathy with sympathy.

If someone is angry an empathy feels angry too?
Just trying to understand the difference.

I do have trouble with putting myself in someone else's shoes when its something I have never experienced.
Also I've had several dogs die, but when they died they were very Ill so I was glad their suffering was over.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 3:16 pm

WalkerTR wrote:
... Just trying to understand the difference
Merriam-Webster says...

Empathy:

The action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.

Sympathy:

1a: An affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other.
1b: Mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it.
1c: Unity or harmony in action or effect ("Every part is in complete sympathy with the scheme as a whole" -- Edwin Benson)

2a: Inclination to think or feel alike (i.e., emotional or intellectual accord in sympathy with their goals).
2b: Feeling of loyalty (i.e., tendency to favor or support republican sympathies).

3a: The act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another.
3b: The feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity (i.e., to have sympathy for the poor).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 3:33 pm

I do hate these empathy threads because everyone starts getting confused, even when the dictionary definition of empathy gets posted.

Then people here try to deny you of empathy by telling you that your empathy is sympathy or compassion (if you've given an example of how you feel/express empathy, even if you feel and express empathy the dictionary definition way).

And then there's the implication that if you fail to put yourself in the shoes of someone in a situation you have not experienced it means you lack empathy. So that means people who say this forget about all the NTs who fail to understand how it feels for Aspies to have sensory issues, not like routine change and avoid social situations.

Uh, empathy threads! :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 3:37 pm

I lack empathy. Sympathy is what I have. I mean I do have some but not enough for anyone to consider me as having empathy unless they know me. Then they will see I do care but I just need to be told things and I don't read minds and I won't know someone's needs unless they tell me. Like my husband can't tell me he is going to commute to the dispensary and I offer to take him because of his feet but he tells me he is fine and he will walk and tells me to just enjoy my game and then expect me to not take no for an answer and then order him to get in my car because I am taking him. If he tells me he will rather walk and take the train, I listen to it. He can't expect me to do the opposite. So we don't play these games. This would be an example of empathy right here but it would be considered as me not having any for listening to my husband and doing as he says.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 3:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I do hate these empathy threads because everyone starts getting confused, even when the dictionary definition of empathy gets posted.

Then people here try to deny you of empathy by telling you that your empathy is sympathy or compassion (if you've given an example of how you feel/express empathy, even if you feel and express empathy the dictionary definition way).

And then there's the implication that if you fail to put yourself in the shoes of someone in a situation you have not experienced it means you lack empathy. So that means people who say this forget about all the NTs who fail to understand how it feels for Aspies to have sensory issues, not like routine change and avoid social situations.

Uh, empathy threads! :roll:

I am just trying to see if there are other aspies who are not empaths like me. Only empaths make 16% of the population. I have no idea how it is for NTs.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

Cognitively speaking, not as much as I tried there are limits to it. It takes years, and several times of forgetting it.
Affectively speaking, does have it yet personal pride is against it. And it gets carried away out of sympathy. Sometimes this seems too unnecessary -- or so my ego thinks.

Conditionally speaking, it's not enough due to personal pride. This is why I don't mask, this is also why I do not think of myself as a 'good person'.
So, socially speaking, the straight answer is 'no' regardless of effort and intent.

In a metahuman sense, got a serious glimpse of what being an empath actually is, for a day or two. Likely alexithymic in certain standards for being an absolute beginner. It was a heck of an experience. :lol:
NTs DO experience and process emotions differently. There are similarities in sensations, but there are more subtle differences. Had a glimpse of another autistic child felt and thought -- it's more familiar, even their overwhelming anxiety. But I cannot say much more than this, because this 'data' is very limited.
There's no need for one's eyes to look at body language nor any explicit words to tell that's what's that's person is feeling.
All I had to do, is stand for about a few feet or so. This type of sensitivity isn't "normal". It's exhausting in a sense one dives into some sort of dumpster -- and everyone's thoughts and emotions, good and bad, are in it.
There's no need to 'rationalize' what is 'right or wrong' or what is 'appropriate or inappropriate', but there is intuition -- something beyond wired instinct -- something beyond any neurology is 'built for', so whatever autism is presented for empathy is practically voided.
And YES, psychic empathy is REAL. I won't fricking forget that I've personally observed it myself.

Spiritually speaking, I'm beginning to be... Autism or any label had nothing to do with it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:03 pm

Quote:
An empath is someone who is highly aware of the emotions of those around them, to the point of feeling those emotions themselves. Empaths see the world differently than other people; they're keenly aware of others, their pain points, and what they need emotionally.

It's what I found when I looked up empath on Google. Many Aspies make it sound like all allistics are empaths, but what I bolded in the above paragraph proves that wrong.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:06 pm

Can one be very sensitive to other people but without being smpathetic?

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 5:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
An empath is someone who is highly aware of the emotions of those around them, to the point of feeling those emotions themselves. Empaths see the world differently than other people; they're keenly aware of others, their pain points, and what they need emotionally.

It's what I found when I looked up empath on Google. Many Aspies make it sound like all allistics are empaths, but what I bolded in the above paragraph proves that wrong.

Where? I have not observed this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:15 pm

Empathy is the ability to "put yourself in another person's shoes" by actually FEELING what the other person is feeling.

Sympathy is commiserating with another person without necessarily FEELING what the other person is feeling.

Most of the time, the only time I feel empathy is when I actually experienced something the other person experienced. I often feel bad for the person having a tough time, though.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Empathy is the ability to "put yourself in another person's shoes" by actually FEELING what the other person is feeling.

But only God can feel what we are going through. I can't feel what someone else is going through as even if I am going through it, my experience of feeling maybe quite different to the next persons.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 23 Sep 2019, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I do hate these empathy threads because everyone starts getting confused, even when the dictionary definition of empathy gets posted...
Basically, it comes down to this:

Empathy is recognizing, knowing, understanding and acknowledging the feelings of another as legitimate for that person -- it's an intellectual process[/i] (i.e., "You seem to be feeling sadness. Is it about homelessness?"). This "Empathy Model" is practiced by crisis hotline volunteers and mental health professionals.

Sympathy is feeling the same feelings as another person, or that another person would feel under the same conditions -- it's an emotional response (i.e., "Does homelessness make you sad? It makes me sad too."). Sympathy is sometimes referred to as being "sensitive to others".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.