Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 7:04 pm

I can’t stand schedules and routine. I get bored very easily and have to switch up activities every now and then. It’s said that people on the spectrum rely on schedules and routine but I prefer doing what I feel like doing and am very in the moment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 7:12 pm

Schedules are essential for business, education and employment.

Without schedules, I could not do my job.

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm

Didn't mind schedules, but don't like rigidity. :lol:

And.. Current environment and culture says it cannot be well afforded no matter how necessary or essential it is.

I'd just treat the whole thing as a control exercise than something that constricts life, yes?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 12:57 am

It would be so boring if every autistic person were the same or had every symptom in the book.

To answer your question, I do not hate schedules. I have one at work and I don't worry about the time on it. I just do what is part of my job and work in that order.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 1:07 am

I don't hate my schedules.
I hate other people's schedules.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2019, 6:41 am

My work life is almost entirely governed by schedules and routines due to the nature of my job. My life outside of work tends to be the complete opposite and I generally avoid schedules and routines as much as possible. The two balance each other out quite nicely.

psychogirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2019, 11:17 am

Oh no, I love a schedule. I can manage if things change, but I do find it stressful. If I go to my parents' house, I am most happy when everyone is in the right 'place' in the evenings.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 11:32 am

I love schedules, but I can also find them overwhelming. If I have to come up with and follow a schedule of my own, it will inevitably become increasingly detailed and strict, until I can't possibly follow it without it breaking me.

When I had schedules at college I was almost always late, and often so late that I'd receive an 'absent' mark for the class. Sometimes I was so late that I was embarrassed to enter the room and disturb everybody, so I'd just sit outside for the rest of the lesson feeling wretched until I could go in and apologise to my teacher. I was terrible at managing my schedule at college because it was my first time being solely responsible for my timekeeping, and I found the transition from school very overwhelming.

As a rule though, I do like to know what's coming up, so schedules are great. They just need to include sufficient rest time and time alone to recharge, and probably someone to help me keep on track.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 11:42 am

Agrees with recovery time inbetween stuff

where ever you go ,there you are

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:18 pm

Organized could be good, in that it is functional

Organized could be bad, obsessive compulsive disorder

Spontaneous could be good. Creativity, improvisation

Spontaneous could be bad, long term goal

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:40 pm

I like the efficiency of schedules when they work, but I don't always like obeying them. I don't like having all my time spoken for, and I often find I don't feel emotionally ready to do some of the tasks at the allocated times. And I don't think it does much for my creativity. I tend to hyperfocus on schedules and I become a slave to them instead of seeing them as a bit of writing to help me keep in mind what I've decided to do. I don't perform well if I'm feeling rushed, unless I go into emergency mode which will tire me out eventually. Schedules don't take into account my mood when I'm trying to follow them. The most comfortable arrangement I can find is to have a task or two on my agenda for any particular day, without specific allocated time slots, and I approach it with the feeling that I don't absolutely need to complete anything. I do my best when I'm not thinking about any other important tasks looming over the horizon, so it's useful to have the whole day for an allocated task. Sometimes it's wiser to have more than one task per day, but I try never to put too much on my plate.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

I'm not actually as fond of schedules and routines as one might think; I just find them so helpful with getting trough life that I don't want to go without, especially without the later.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:12 am

I sort of like both-----schedules (which are necessary in the modern world)….and living without a schedule.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2019, 4:10 pm

I agree with Fern. I like my schedules, but I don't like schedules set by other people.

plokijuh
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2019, 4:22 pm

Fern wrote:
I don't hate my schedules.
I hate other people's schedules.

Yep, exactly this!

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 4:54 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I can’t stand schedules and routine.

It's not my thing too and I don't care much the schedules of other people except I did agree them. Life is to short to care about everyones wishes. It's better to stay relaxed. :mrgreen: