Can Aspies Work in the Police Force?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

25 Sep 2019, 6:42 am

Well. He has nothing to loose. If he passes he will then know it is an opportunity. If he does not then he is no worse off then being there not knowing. So if he can it is a good idea to try the tests.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:05 am

I agree, nothing ventured nothing gained. Also, all the tests can be downloaded with specifications and prepared for in advance. He is investing in 3 years army service and learning Martial Arts to prepare himself so he really deserves it, I can't tell you how much I admire him. My heart is simply bursting with love.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:18 am

There are also accomodations for learning disabilities on the tests. He has ADHD and Dysgraphia.His handwriting is illegible. Geez so much to deal with and overcome for this sweety.
What is Critical Thinking exactly? Anyone want to explain?

My student was so happy that the whole last lesson was built around the Police Academy recruitment requirements. It was yesterday evening.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2019, 8:20 am

Teach51 wrote:
He envisions himself more as Sherlock Holmes than a detective from Law and Order.

Maybe he would be better off considering the role of Crime Scene Investigator rather than an actual police officer if such a thing exists in your country although his poor computer skills might be an issue and he would still need to have good team working skills and an ability to stand up in court and give evidence at trials.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I always forget to put the extra "T" in myself. It's Tony Attwood. He's Australian.

Tony Attwood is actually British though he has lived in Australia for some time.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:24 am

Sandpiper wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
He envisions himself more as Sherlock Holmes than a detective from Law and Order.

Maybe he would be better off as a Crime Scene Investigator rather than an actual police officer if such a thing exists in your country although his poor computer skills might be an issue and he would still need to have good team working skills and an ability to stand up in court and give evidence at trials.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I always forget to put the extra "T" in myself. It's Tony Attwood. He's Australian.

Tony Attwood is actually British though he has lived in Australia for some time.

I also think he would be better as a crime scene investigator. He is still very immature though as far as life experience and doesn't ask any questions. :lol:
Yet.
His phenomenal memory must be an asset?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:29 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
The world contains a lot of aspies

The world contains a lot of cops

Venn diagram

Some cops are aspies

But you have to ask, can that particular student be a cop, in that city, in that year

Yes, absolutely true sfbum

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:45 am

You should watch the show "Monk."

It's about a guy who has OCD and is somewhat awkward socially---yet he is seen as being a genius detective.

"Columbo" was also about a genius detective whose hygiene left something to be desired. He was also somewhat socially awkward.

In real life, cops tend to laugh at these sorts of people.

I work a lot around court officers, not cops---but they are similar.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:50 am

There are lots of hassles for Aspies who want to be cops.

Cops have a tendency to be cliquish. And your interests usually must essentially match most of the clique's interests.

If one takes things literally, cops don't trust you either. They might think that if you see something illegal happening amongst them----that you will report them. Usually, if you report somebody in the world of cops, you are seen as being a "rat."

There is the sense that people who are "different" and "weird" would not be reliable in an emergency--even though this is demonstrably not true.

They don't trust people who "keep to themselves."

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:56 am

I know but the heart wants what the heart wants.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:01 am

I am a person who believes what you say.

I am not one who seeks to deny people their dreams.

I read a most effecting poem--known as "A Dream Deferred," which is by Langston Hughes.

I have gone "against the grain" many times in my life----and I've succeeded for the most part---though I'm not a "success," per se. I have worked at one place 39 years, and have never been promoted.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 25 Sep 2019, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 9:04 am

I love all those quirky cops from tv too

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 7:28 pm

One of the children who used to be in my care in Australia, was AS. He went on to become a Detective. I’m only in the UK thanks to the friendship I had with his Mum(long story). I’ve yet to be updated on how he’s doing, but his older brother, who was also in my care, went into computing with the Defence Dept in Melbourne, Aus.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 5:34 am

That's encouraging!

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:54 pm

Perhaps Border Services/ Customs? Front line work may be difficult if naive, but a great field for investigators and analysts.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 6:23 am

I once worked in a retail job where one of my close coworkers was a retired police officer/detective from Montreal. We had MANY long talks on slow evenings as he worked very close to me. Long story short, even told me that I would make a great cop and had an answer to all my objections about not being tough or confrontational. Still, I considered the idea too absurd to consider at the time but years I believe he was on to something.

I think an Aspie working as a cop is no different than two young female customs officials I dealt with (one in Canada, one in the US) that were nothing short of sweet and kind and had outstanding professionalism. I am sure everyone would say they weren't "tough" enough to do the job (since they weren't the typical big, strong men) but they seemed to be doing just fine.