Page 12 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm

BDavro wrote:
So anyone who dares question queen greta is basically the love child of hitler and trump.

Of course not. There are people who'll play the ball rather than trying to cripple the player on this issue . That's probably a majority of such people.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

firemonkey wrote:
BDavro wrote:
So anyone who dares question queen greta is basically the love child of hitler and trump.

Of course not. There are people who'll play the ball rather than trying to cripple the player on this issue . That's probably a majority of such people.

Play the ball and not the man.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

Quote:
She is a puppet, a little pretend stick figure held up to distract.

I am at a loss as to why you keep saying that. Lots of people are offering her pulpits and stages to speak from because they have the same agenda she does. That does not make her a puppet.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 8:55 pm

Apuleius wrote:
Quote:
She is a puppet, a little pretend stick figure held up to distract.

I am at a loss as to why you keep saying that. Lots of people are offering her pulpits and stages to speak from because they have the same agenda she does. That does not make her a puppet.

well, what?

It seems you shifted things there.

Her parents, look into them, only takes 10 minutes.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 9:31 pm

XenoMind wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
Of course, but not diagnosed as BPD. And looking at someone wouldn’t lead to such a diagnosis.

So, he had a wrong diagnosis?

Partial

Zyg
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2019, 10:31 pm

I am, quite frankly, very surprised that at WP, with all the focus and brain power we have here, people think that "Anthropogenic Climate Change" is actually a catastrophic crisis.

I highly suggest that those of you whom are scientifically minded start looking at the IPCC's actual reports and data, and the climate science itself, and start ignoring the media and politicians on this one.

I was a card carrying believer in 2004 to the point of buying carbon credits to offset my carbon footprint. I am not anymore, now that I have had the chance to see 100% of their predictions fall flat, and I have looked deeply into the mathematics, models and politics behind all of it.

As far as GT is concerned, watch her live interview on a panel of other young people to see her extemporaneous and unscripted. It appears to me that she was coached, and was acting the entire time she was on camera. There is nothing wrong with that, of course. But her parents should be seriously scolded for using their daughter like that... by exposing her to the winds of politics at such an age... I doubt that GT will be able to withstand what is coming her way, or the fact that not too long from now, she will be discarded as yet another poster child who grew up and became irrelevant.

Have you all forgotten the terrible yearning to "fit in"? The desperate seeking of "approval"? The almost terrifyingly powerful need to belong, and not belonging? The holding on to whatever little scraps you were fed of acceptance? Have you forgotten the pain of what it was like to be discarded?

Perhaps not all of us have experienced this, but I understand it is common, and it happened to myself. For her parents to use her like this.. it is shameful. Greta did nothing wrong. It is her parents, and the extended family and State, as well as the UN that have some answering to do for this travesty of abuse.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:35 pm

Zyg wrote:
I am, quite frankly, very surprised that at WP, with all the focus and brain power we have here, people think that "Anthropogenic Climate Change" is actually a catastrophic crisis.

I highly suggest that those of you whom are scientifically minded start looking at the IPCC's actual reports and data, and the climate science itself, and start ignoring the media and politicians on this one.

I was a card carrying believer in 2004 to the point of buying carbon credits to offset my carbon footprint. I am not anymore, now that I have had the chance to see 100% of their predictions fall flat, and I have looked deeply into the mathematics, models and politics behind all of it.

As far as GT is concerned, watch her live interview on a panel of other young people to see her extemporaneous and unscripted. It appears to me that she was coached, and was acting the entire time she was on camera. There is nothing wrong with that, of course. But her parents should be seriously scolded for using their daughter like that... by exposing her to the winds of politics at such an age... I doubt that GT will be able to withstand what is coming her way, or the fact that not too long from now, she will be discarded as yet another poster child who grew up and became irrelevant.

Have you all forgotten the terrible yearning to "fit in"? The desperate seeking of "approval"? The almost terrifyingly powerful need to belong, and not belonging? The holding on to whatever little scraps you were fed of acceptance? Have you forgotten the pain of what it was like to be discarded?

Perhaps not all of us have experienced this, but I understand it is common, and it happened to myself. For her parents to use her like this.. it is shameful. Greta did nothing wrong. It is her parents, and the extended family and State, as well as the UN that have some answering to do for this travesty of abuse.

well, that was a lot of shite.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:09 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
Partial

Not sure what that could mean, but it only proves that wrong diagnoses are made.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:22 pm

First diagnosis depression. Later added ADHD. Added anxiety diagnosis. Then BPD.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
First diagnosis depression. Later added ADHD. Added anxiety diagnosis. Then BPD.

Well, that's it. Wrong diagnoses do happen.
My own history is even worse in this aspect. :?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 4:18 am

Zyg wrote:

I get the impression that most of the people who go on about climate change only have a rudimentary understanding of it, that doesn't really extend beyond what they read in The Guardian and similar sources. I think they let themselves be conditioned to not challenge it, to not have any doubts. And to denounce anyone who does.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 6:19 am

EzraS wrote:
Zyg wrote:

I get the impression that most of the people who go on about climate change only have a rudimentary understanding of it, that doesn't really extend beyond what they read in The Guardian and similar sources. I think they let themselves be conditioned to not challenge it, to not have any doubts. And to denounce anyone who does.

The same could rightly be said about those that deny the effects of climate change . I personally don't know what to believe . Are those talking about climate change ,and its effects, completely wrong or are they merely wrong with regards to the degree and timescale of what will happen?

The thing that stands out is that it's a very emotive subject whatever side of the fence you're on .

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2019, 9:34 am

Quote:

This event was yesterday, at my school.
https://climate.mit.edu/symposia/live/? ... ePIDgrxCGc

A lot of people with brain power and focus have concluded that it is a catastrophic crisis. And a present one, not a future one. Climate-induced migrations are going on right now, with people forced to leave their homes in the Middle East, Central America and the South Pacific.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 10:47 am

Im no expert but personally i have done a whole lot of in depth research on climate change for the past several years and made it the focus of my senior thesis and did a 30 minute presentation about climate change and its effects on species loss and the sixth mass extinction. Specifically with regards to recent global warming trends.

It IS a legitimate issue that is happening right now and primarily human induced.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2019, 4:13 am

Greta Thunberg's dad says he was "not supportive" of her activism – but then he saw it help her out of depression

Quote:
Greta Thunberg's father revealed in a recent interview he was at first "not supportive" of his 16-year-old daughter's climate activism. Svante Thunberg told BBC Radio 4 that he thought it was a "bad idea" for Greta to fight on the "front line" of the battle against climate change, but came around when he saw that her passion for the issue helped lift her out of a depression.

Mr. Thunberg said Greta struggled with depression three or four years before her first school strike for climate change awareness took place. "She stopped talking, she stopped eating... she stopped going to school," he told the BBC, adding it was the "ultimate nightmare for a parent."

The family went to doctors for help and Greta was diagnosed with Asperger's, on the autism spectrum. Earlier this year, the teen opened up to "CBS This Morning" about her diagnosis, saying that in some ways the condition gives her an advantage.

Over the next few years, the problem of climate change became her passion. But her father was not at first supportive of her taking an active role in fighting the crisis. He told the BBC his daughter confronted him about the issue.

The Thunbergs identify as "very active" human rights activists, and Greta called them "huge hypocrites," for not supporting her activism. "Greta said: 'Whose human rights are you standing up for?' since we were not taking this climate issue seriously," Mr. Thunberg told the BBC. That spurred them to make changes.

Her mother decided not to travel by airplane anymore, and her father became vegan and also accompanied Greta on her zero-emissions sailing expeditions to U.N. climate summits. "I did all these things, I knew they were the right thing to do... but I didn't do it to save the climate, I did it to save my child," he said.

While his daughter is much happier now that she has become an activist, he still worries about the "hate" she faces, he said.

Svante Thunberg told the BBC that he is especially worried about "the fake news, all the things that people try to fabricate [about] her — the hate that that generates." However, the teen deals with criticism "incredibly well," he said.

"You think she's not ordinary now because she's special, and she's very famous, and all these things. But to me she's now an ordinary child — she can do all the things like other people can," he said, adding Greta "dances around, she laughs a lot, we have a lot of fun — and she's in a very good place."

Mr. Thunberg thinks Greta wants to return to school and he hopes things become "less intense" for his family. However, Greta, who was named Time's Person of the Year earlier this month, will turn 17 soon and she won't need a parent to accompany her during her travels around the world.

Her father said if she needs him, he'll go with her — but he thinks she'll become more and more independent and do it by herself.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2019, 8:23 am

I can completely tune out hunger pangs, and I find it convenient up to the point where I wake up and there's someone hovering over me asking if he should call an ambulance. My son has the same trait. He can go all day without giving any hint that he's hungry, and then eat like a wolf. So when I read that the Thunberg family was dealing with a daughter who was refusing food, well, it hit home and it hit hard.