Page 11 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 9:54 pm

Glflegolas wrote:
Well, I'm probably going to be executed for posting this, but let's see...

I do not deny that the climate's changing. It has changed for all the world's history. The world has been much warmer than it is today in the past, and it didn't end. The difference is all with the rate of that change. If someone told me the climate's going to get 4C warmer over the next 10,000 years, I'd say "who cares? Everything's going to work out OK". But the rapid warming that's occurring won't be quite as gentle.

So yes, I do agree on cutting back emissions, but I do not believe that it'll lower our standard of living. In fact, it'll only increase it, for there's lots of employment opportunities in renewable energy. Sure, some workers will lose their current work, and have to be re-trained. But this won't be first time in history that this happened. The hand loom weavers lost their jobs when power looms took over (there are 100s of other examples of this occurring throughout history), and they didn't have much choice but to learn how to do different kinds of work.

As for Greta herself? A bit alarmist, sure; a few more years of inaction won't end the world, but it will result in more suffering than necessary. But sometimes you do have to go a bit to the extreme to get something more moderate and reasonable to occur. I am happy that she's doing what she's doing, and wish her all the best of luck. She's an intelligent, well spoken young lady. I do not care either way whether she has Asperger's or not, the same as I wouldn't care if she were a boy instead.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 1:11 am

XenoMind wrote:
I don't think that Greta Thunberg is on ASD at all. She looks more like narcissistic, histrionic or borderline to me.

What?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2019, 1:32 am

League_Girl wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
I don't think that Greta Thunberg is on ASD at all. She looks more like narcissistic, histrionic or borderline to me.

What?

I'll echo the "what?" here. Her appearance at the UN was a lot more emotional than prior talks, and I do wonder what brought that on, but you can lots of prior engagements and see for yourself that no, she is not at all narcissistic and yes, she has ASD. (Raptor arms, difficulty with loud noise, et cetera.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:14 am

How Greta Thunberg Got a Death-Metal Makeover

Quote:

When thrash-metal drummer John Meredith watched teenage climate-change activist Greta Thunberg give her fiery “How dare you?” speech at the UN Climate Action Summit on Monday, he agreed with her message. But he also thought her language would make a killer metal song. So he picked up his sticks and created what became the viral YouTube hit “Greta Thunberg sings Swedish Death Metal.”

“When I saw her speech, I was very impressed by her passion and outrage,” says Meredith, who sits behind the kit for the New York City metal trio Suaka, via email. “And the words she chose just evoked the darkness of the metal music I love: Entombed, Gojira, At the Gates, Sepultura.”

When thrash-metal drummer John Meredith watched teenage climate-change activist Greta Thunberg give her fiery “How dare you?” speech at the UN Climate Action Summit on Monday, he agreed with her message. But he also thought her language would make a killer metal song. So he picked up his sticks and created what became the viral YouTube hit “Greta Thunberg sings Swedish Death Metal.”

“When I saw her speech, I was very impressed by her passion and outrage,” says Meredith, who sits behind the kit for the New York City metal trio Suaka, via email. “And the words she chose just evoked the darkness of the metal music I love: Entombed, Gojira, At the Gates, Sepultura.”

On Saturday, Thunberg gave the video a thumbs up. She tweeted, “I have moved on from this climate thing… From now on I will be doing death metal only!!”

Oddly, the video has received the most outcry for calling it Swedish death metal — a subgenre popularized by bands like At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity — that’s known more for its melodic guitar leads and guttural vocals. The only thing Swedish about this video is Thunberg herself. “I’ve seen soooo many comments, saying, ‘This is not Swedish Death Metal,” Meredith says with a “ha-ha.” “It’s probably more ‘black metal’ maybe but the title is also a nod to her country of origin. It’s like that Viking fury can’t be denied. In general, genres are for critics; musicians just make music they like.”

It does go perfectly with the tone of the speech.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 10:27 am

Apuleius wrote:
I'll echo the "what?" here. Her appearance at the UN was a lot more emotional than prior talks, and I do wonder what brought that on, but you can lots of prior engagements and see for yourself that no, she is not at all narcissistic and yes, she has ASD.

Attention seeking behavior. That's now what Aspies do.

Apuleius wrote:
(Raptor arms, difficulty with loud noise, et cetera.)

Or that may mean that she just plays for the public. NPs and HPs do that very often.

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2019, 9:23 pm

XenoMind wrote:

I thought Aspies generally don't want attention and just want to be left alone.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2019, 9:48 pm

XenoMind wrote:
Apuleius wrote:
I'll echo the "what?" here. Her appearance at the UN was a lot more emotional than prior talks, and I do wonder what brought that on, but you can lots of prior engagements and see for yourself that no, she is not at all narcissistic and yes, she has ASD.

Is it? I didn't;t get the memo.

XenoMind wrote:
Apuleius wrote:
(Raptor arms, difficulty with loud noise, et cetera.)

Or that may mean that she just plays for the public. NPs and HPs do that very often.

Are you seriously saying this girl is NT and just play-acting autism? In that case she should teach a class on it. No other NT actor can do it as well as she does.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:14 am

XenoMind wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
As the mother of someone who has Borderline Personality Disorder, that was only diagnosed in his 30’s, I wish someone had told me before then how to identify it just by looking at him. Wow, all those years of distress that might have been avoided. /s

And nobody had noticed that something is wrong until then?

Of course, but not diagnosed as BPD. And looking at someone wouldn’t lead to such a diagnosis.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:16 am

AnneOleson wrote:
Of course, but not diagnosed as BPD. And looking at someone wouldn’t lead to such a diagnosis.

So, he had a wrong diagnosis?

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:19 am

Apuleius wrote:
Are you seriously saying this girl is NT

That's now what I wrote, you should read more carefully.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:43 pm

So anyone who dares question queen greta is basically the love child of hitler and trump.

Man-made climate change is a thing, we are doing some bad stuff that is causing extremes in our plant's climates, well not causing, but pushing it towards.

She is a puppet, a little pretend stick figure held up to distract.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm

BDavro wrote:
So anyone who dares question queen greta is basically the love child of hitler and trump.

Of course not. There are people who'll play the ball rather than trying to cripple the player on this issue . That's probably a majority of such people.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

firemonkey wrote:
BDavro wrote:

Of course not. There are people who'll play the ball rather than trying to cripple the player on this issue . That's probably a majority of such people.

Play the ball and not the man.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

Quote:

I am at a loss as to why you keep saying that. Lots of people are offering her pulpits and stages to speak from because they have the same agenda she does. That does not make her a puppet.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 8:55 pm

Apuleius wrote:
Quote:

I am at a loss as to why you keep saying that. Lots of people are offering her pulpits and stages to speak from because they have the same agenda she does. That does not make her a puppet.

well, what?

It seems you shifted things there.

Her parents, look into them, only takes 10 minutes.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 9:31 pm

XenoMind wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:

So, he had a wrong diagnosis?

Partial