Where would you most likely need help due to autism issues?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Where do you need help?
Financial income 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Financial budgeting 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Day to day living (E.g. washing etc) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Form filling 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Shopping 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Emotional support (Counselling etc) 23%  23%  [ 18 ]
Other 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
I don't need help 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I only need help occasionally 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
I need help often 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 79

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm

I picked 'Other' as I would like help finding a job. I volunteer for 2 days a week now and I enjoy it but I would like to be paid for it.

I also picked budgeting because it seems I'm always poor. I have a car and have always been told that it's hard to keep one because they're money pits. It's true, heh. Just to be able to save some money and not be broke all the time would be a relief from worrying about money constantly.

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2019, 10:49 pm

Coping with changes

Emotional stability

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 11:41 pm

i chose "day to day living" and "other." what i really need that is not in the poll, is ORGANIZING and STAYING ORGANIZED. also, help in shifting gears, IOW changing focus, as well as prompting [just getting started].

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:51 am

For me at this moment in time I could do with help as I reached a point where I was having so many shutdown issues in a work enviroment which are so exhausting and take so long to recover... (Not recover from the actual partial shutdown but to recover to a place where the anxiety lowers as the build up of anxiety in a work enviroment is causing the partial shutdowns and shutdowns, which by nature I do my best to hide them from the other staff where I worked as if they knew I would have fuss, which would cause an enviroment which would delay me from coming out of a shutdown be it a partial or a full shutdown).
Don't get me wrong. About 15 years ago or before that I was working full time. I was still having partial and the occasional full shutdown, but they were not taking place so often. These days they are so frequent while I was in work that on occasions my whole shift was done strughling through partial shutdown mode which is absolutely exhausting and can be a bit dangerous with it, as there are certain aspects of my job where one could easily lose a finger if one is not paying attention.

So while I have had many years where though I may have had issues, I did not really need support, but I am now finding I really need it. Not desperate at the moment but I will be if I did not ask for help when I did. I reached a point where I had to ask for help. I feel guilty to do this. Help takes time to arrange and I may or may not get it... As I am patiently waiting for things to be sorted out and I am also waiting to see if I need to fill out forms etc... Something I really struggle with when I am feeling fragile. Also the thought of going in the jobcentre... Is a hurdle I may need to address as I avoid jobcentres. I have years of missed pension contributions because I could not face the stress of signing on in the past. I was going without money and selling possessios rather then face the stress of it all.

But anyway. I am not at the base of that hurdle just yet. The good thing is that the autism people have written to my doctor to explain things, which was a huge hurdle that has been overcome. I have never been able to explain things to doctors in the past. So it is one big hurdle. I am waiting to hear from my doctors. I don't know if they are supposed to get in touch with me or if I am supposed to get in touch with them.

I find the fact I am asking for help is embarissing. I have always tried to retain my independence. Partly because I am stuborn. Partly because I avoid dealing with situations like forms and the thought of trying to deal with benefits offices (Jobcentre) etc. I am sure they are nice people really. Is just I was told the system can be very difficult, and I am likely to walk out to avoid stress, as I don't want to be shutting down in front of them.