Page 6 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:13 pm

There are people who get paid to moderate forums, I believe. Maybe that's the answer. Non-member professionals who, hopefully, don't have any particular biases.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:21 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
There are people who get paid to moderate forums, I believe. Maybe that's the answer. Non-member professionals who, hopefully, don't have any particular biases.
Right. And those people should have professional degrees in a field of mental health ... and members should be charged a fee for membership ... and the website should be licensed as a mental-health resource ... and it should be staffed 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ... and each member should be personally evaluated by each moderator ... and the website should keep a file on each member ... and ...

Do you see where this is going? You want paid professionals running this website. Most people cannot afford to consult a paid professional, and that's why many of them are members here. Sure, we can't diagnose or treat any disorders, but we can give advice, provide information, and even offer sympathy (some people are better at this than others).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Right. And those people should have professional degrees in a field of mental health ... and members should be charged a fee for membership ... and the website should be licensed as a mental-health resource ... and it should be staffed 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ... and each member should be personally evaluated by each moderator ... and the website should keep a file on each member ... and ...

Do you see where this is going? You want paid professionals running this website. Most people cannot afford to consult a paid professional, and that's why many of them are members here. Sure, we can't diagnose or treat any disorders, but we can give advice, provide information, and even offer sympathy (some people are better at this than others).

Uhhh... I don't know WHAT you're on about. I'm simply talking about people who get paid to weed out the trolls and abusive content on websites. Nobody here is going to have to pay a fee more membership. I'm assuming that this would be paid for by the ad revenue generated by WP. Calm down! You're kind of scaring me.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:05 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm simply talking about people who get paid to weed out the trolls and abusive content on websites. Nobody here is going to have to pay a fee more membership. I'm assuming that this would be paid for by the ad revenue generated by WP. Calm down! You're kind of scaring me.
It should be scary. If Alex could afford paid professionals, we would already have paid professionals -- the ad revenue from this website must not be sufficient, so membership fees would be needed.

(Maybe also selling our personal data to targeted advertisers would be needed, as well.)

Of course, if all you're really talking about is dismissing our current staff and hiring the on-line equivalent of mall cops, then the only gain would be "fresh blood", and nothing more. We might even experience "I'm getting paid to do this, so who are you to question my decisions" degree of arrogance instead of our current "We don't get paid, and we're doing the best we can" degree of humility.

The Walrus has made his case clear. Any reasonable person can see that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:14 pm

There is more to WP than PPR.
The sub forums impact on eachother, the people who mainly post in one section dont get this and aren't invested in the community as a whole. I have less interest in their opinions than in the opinions of people who contribute across the sub forums.

Dont know how the AUTISTIC mods put up with this crap voluntarily. Its mind boggling how intolerant members are of them as actual human beings.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:16 pm

Also there are members on here that live in countries outside of America.

IMAGINE THAT!

Perspectives that aren't American!!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I'm simply talking about people who get paid to weed out the trolls and abusive content on websites. Nobody here is going to have to pay a fee more membership. I'm assuming that this would be paid for by the ad revenue generated by WP. Calm down! You're kind of scaring me.
It should be scary. If Alex could afford paid professionals, we would already have paid professionals -- the ad revenue from this website must not be sufficient, so membership fees would be needed.

(Maybe also selling our personal data to targeted advertisers would be needed, as well.)

Of course, if all you're really talking about is dismissing our current staff and hiring the on-line equivalent of mall cops, then the only gain would be "fresh blood", and nothing more. We might even experience "I'm getting paid to do this, so who are you to question my decisions" degree of arrogance instead of our current "We don't get paid, and we're doing the best we can" degree of humility.

The Walrus has made his case clear. Any reasonable person can see that.

I was a moderator in the past, but not paid. I quit because I had too many friends on the forum, and couldn't be completely impartial. That was my main reason for suggesting outsourcing the job.

I know something about earning money through Adsense revenue, because I earned a fair amount from the internet for about six years. If I knew exactly how many views this site gets, I could ballpark the annual figure. It could be in six figures for all I know.

As far as Walrus is concerned, I still think he is far too partisan to be qualified to be a mod here. I stand by that assessment.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:35 pm

I rather like the Walrus, think he does a good job.

It's a tough job and they do it to the best of their abilities.

Except ferris, he is a lazy wee bastard.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
So me being against 'crypto fascism' evens things out?
Your anti-Israel stance and The Walruses pro-Israel stance cancel each other out. The tipping point is that he's the moderator, and you're the instigator.

What the f**k are you talking about? Me being against a racist/colonial/murderous state isn't a bad thing.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Fnord wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
So me being against 'crypto fascism' evens things out?
Your anti-Israel stance and The Walruses pro-Israel stance cancel each other out. The tipping point is that he's the moderator, and you're the instigator.

What the f**k are you talking about? Me being against a racist/colonial/murderous state isn't a bad thing.

Israel is actually all of those things.

The British army cleared people from their lands to create it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:46 pm

I'll lock this thread for now, the matters raised are being considered by the team, and all core issues of dispute have already been covered in this thread. As I have been on semi leave my involvement has not occurred until today. Nor have I issued any warning to the OP - as far as I can recall, so I'm more of an onlooker here and perhaps best placed to suggest that there be a recess.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2019, 1:13 pm

We have had a discussion as a mod team and decided that, while John's post technically broke the rules, it was understandable in the context of the thread. I'm happy to therefore revoke his warning.

Moderators cannot see private messages sent to other users unless they are reported. If you disagree with a decision then the quickest and most effective way to challenge it is to send a PM to another moderator.