Will I be treated differently for the way I look?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Oct 2019, 7:39 pm

FletcherArrow wrote:
=
Do goths and people with body modifications and weird tattoos give a rat's ass what other people think about them?
Yes they do. They do that stuff to be different & stand out while at the same time conforming to a group identity so they could fit in with other outsiders while thinking of the normies as conformist

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm

Quit caring about what others think and do what you want to do in life.
Your over thinking makes things worse and creates anxiety and depression.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 10:50 am

Am loving this thread, but am just watching , program on peeps doing voice overs,and having recently learnt more about diversity . And places , where it is not just appreciated but people actually make money being diverse . Larger cities appreciate diversity. Entertainment industry , survived on it.
Having read further down. About some of the diversity.. actually found myself admiring . These malapropisms that peeps worry about .. and realize , how much , had been masking myself, most all my life trying to fit somewhere . Seeing a great disservice to myself . And yes used to get followed very often , in stores too . With no understanding of why . Except it made me feel very self concious.
So i never enjoyed being out in a market . And that unfortunately also affected . My other interactions in life , being out and about. Most all the time.as older am realizing , that those differences made , me my own person. Now , am just not worried as much about how others see me. And am getting better at not making excuses for my own being me . Autism may have its ingrained drawbacks . But its advantages , may potentially far outweigh any drawbacks.
Especially veiwed in the right situation.

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 10:59 am

nick007 wrote:
FletcherArrow wrote:
=
Do goths and people with body modifications and weird tattoos give a rat's ass what other people think about them?
Yes they do. They do that stuff to be different & stand out while at the same time conforming to a group identity so they could fit in with other outsiders while thinking of the normies as conformist

Priceless absolutely priceless .. points right to the heart of this thread .
( BTW used to be very Goth)

where ever you go ,there you are

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:30 pm

I went out the door today wearing an antique overcoat dated 1949. That's some of my newer clothing styles.

You will be just fine being you. I go around dressed sometimes like it's the Edwardian era or other times like I am stuck in the Great Depression and nobody gives a rip. For every time I go out in summer with a straw boater, there's always five chumps who've roasted their hide to blisters in the sun. In the winter if I go around in a khaki trench coat there is always some girl in yoga pants who is freezing and making a big show of how cold she is. If I show up in WWII combat boots there will always be Adidases so loud someone's feet can't go to sleep, and if I show up with a nice vintage silk tie someone will always have a great tuft of chest hair poking out through their wilted shirt-collar like greasy moss.

You're fine.

Schwifty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2020, 6:50 pm

Dont break any laws and dance like no ones watching.
After that it's their problem, not yours. :D

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2020, 4:17 am

Opinions of people online do not matter. There are so many faceless keyboard warriors, hiding behind fake pics and fake personas.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 11:07 am

Yes is the short answer: but who is treated differently can depend much on context.
To give an example from a few years ago: my wife and I went for a day out to a former bankers mansion that’s now a museum/art gallery, I was wearing a riotous clashing mix of garments that would have been an old fashioned suit but for the colours, talking in a BBC radio 4 announcer type accent (articulate and posh, but not properly elite) striding around like Darth Vader, and pointing at things with my umbrella.
My wife was in regular jeans, jumper and trainers combo, and behaving thoroughly NT.
Usually I’m the one who gets stares and comments, but on this occasion she was the one who got unwanted attention: the security guards trailed her round the whole building! (We know it was her because I peeled off to look at a gallery of furniture design drawings on my own)
In that context I passed as eccentric, but acceptable and the right sort: her regular gal attire read as ‘potential thief to be watched’.

I also did the whole goth thing, and that cartoon is spot on :lol:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 8:59 pm

I get that too. Sometimes I just get out of bed and go shopping at the supermarket just like that because if I get a shower, get dressed, etc...etc... I will NEVER get out of the house. I don't really care what I look like.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 4:12 pm

Oh yes, we are treated based on how we look. I'm glad I learned long-ago the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" wisdom (osmosis (and sixth senses) became a greater factor as time went on). It's said we don't have a second-chances to make first impressions!

Also, dress presentable (casual/formal styles are usually good). If possible, avoid crowded AND/OR stressful times and places. Plan/think ahead if it's necessary to divert from familiar routines/places.

In other words, it's not difficult to be proactive!