Greta Thunberg: an extremely anxious girl

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Sky News host Andrew Bolt has described Greta Thunberg’s address at a United Nations climate event on Tuesday as a “meltdown speech”.

https://youtu.be/DticpNH3a2Q

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2019, 10:06 pm

When me & my girlfriend saw her speech we thought she was a play actor reciting a speech someone else wrote.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 10:13 pm

nick007 wrote:
When me & my girlfriend saw her speech we thought she was a play actor reciting a speech someone else wrote.

From a socio-psychological point of view, the entire "Greta Thunberg" phenomenon is fascinating.
She is a clever girl but I do wonder if she is being heavily influenced by others.
I believe speculation is still allowed in western societies these days?
Or is that too politically incorrect in today's zeitgeist? :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm

nick007 wrote:
When me & my girlfriend saw her speech we thought she was a play actor reading a speech someone else wrote.

If I was giving a speech that is probably how I would appear as I would have to write it down and either just read from it or memorize it. I can imagine autism may make it difficult to be more engaging and lively when giving a speech.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2019, 11:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
nick007 wrote:
When me & my girlfriend saw her speech we thought she was a play actor reading a speech someone else wrote.

If I was giving a speech that is probably how I would appear as I would have to write it down and either just read from it or memorize it. I can imagine autism may make it difficult to be more engaging and lively when giving a speech.

Yep,
I couldn't make a coherent off the cuff public speech to save my life.
I don't even try these days.
I accept it and confine my brilliance to written form. :wink:
She is doing well in contrast,
But I will never be a fan of catastrophist rhetoric.

My concern is that this high profile aspie is going to affect public perception of those on the spectrum.
I'm a rationalist, so Greta does not represent me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 1:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Yep,

My concern is that this high profile aspie is going to affect public perception of those on the spectrum.

Well she seems pretty rational to me, us humans have been f*cking up the planet and so we need to do something about that. Seems that is her over-all message and its not wrong, even rather dated encyclopedias point to human caused environmental problems of course no one wanted to listen to me about the environment when I was 7. At least people want to listen to Greta when she's 16.

I mean there is a human caused catastrophe facing us, so it seems rational people might want to address that rather than bury their heads in the sand. I mean even in the U.S there is to be an exodus of people living on the coast moving further inland because of the rising water, due to the arctic ice melting...this sh*t is already happening right now.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 1:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Yep,

Well she seems pretty rational to me, us humans have been f*cking up the planet and so we need to do something about that. Seems that is her over-all message and its not wrong, even rather dated encyclopedias point to human caused environmental problems of course no one wanted to listen to me about the environment when I was 7. At least people want to listen to Greta when she's 16.

I mean there is a human caused catastrophe facing us, so it seems rational people might want to address that rather than bury their heads in the sand. I mean even in the U.S there is to be an exodus of people living on the coast moving further inland because of the rising water, due to the arctic ice melting...this sh*t is already happening right now.

Agreed. I admire her, and I "get" her too. She's smart, single minded, and doing good things with both qualities.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 2:03 am

nick007 wrote:

Me too.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 2:19 am

Why isn't there a prominent well known well respected scientist doing this instead?

It is pretty unusual to have a school kid being the most prominent figure in something like this to the point of becoming a household name.

And most likely Greta Thunberg will go the way of Emma Gonzalez. Has anyone seen her in the news lately? Did anyone reading this have to look her up to jog their memory? i did.

We have to something. No one ever says we have to do [list of specific things], just "something".

Why isn't something like this taking place?

https://youtu.be/wCKzJjaIp7k

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 2:54 am

Pepe wrote:

Greta Thunberg has overtaken Temple Grandin as the worlds most famous Autistic person.

She has been diagnosed and presented with depression and OCD common co morbids of autism that are mental illnesses. She publicly presents with traits of those illnesses. So the critics saying she is "mentally ill" are technology correct.

Do I need to say that the "concern" by her critics are a bunch of crocodile tears and that they are doing what they accuse others of doing, using her?

Mental illnesses and Autism are nearly being constantly being conflated as well as the idea that since Autistics are mentally ill our opinions can be dismissed. This is undoing a lot the progress that has been made over the last few years.

If you are skeptical or against the scientific consensus this is the worst thing that has happened to your cause. It projects as a parade of older white males ganging up on a teenage girl. They are giving validation to the idea prevalent in many circles that conservative=misogynist. It reeks of the old females are hysterical stereotype.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 9:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well she seems pretty rational

Someone who is on the brink of an emotional/psychological meltdown is not what I would call rational.
Have you seen the relevant youtube podcasts?
And based on some people in the know, some of her facts are simply wrong.
If you feel differently, I don't have a problem with that but we will have to agree to disagree.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Are you saying all life on earth will cease to exist in 12 years time if nothing is done?
If so, I respectfully disagree.

Also, you do realise climate change has always happened.
We have experienced at least 5 ice ages.
We are still in an ice age and its manifestation can be seen by the ice at the poles.
Most of the time, the earth hasn't had this amount of ice in the world.

Quote:
An ice age is a long period of reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Earth's climate alternates between ice ages and greenhouse periods, during which there are no glaciers on the planet. Earth is currently in the Quaternary glaciation, known in popular terminology as the Ice Age.[1] Individual pulses of cold climate within an ice age are termed "glacial periods" (or, alternatively, "glacials", "glaciations", "glacial stages", "stadials", "stades", or colloquially, "ice ages"), and intermittent warm periods within an ice age are called "interglacials" or "interstadials", with both climatic pulses part of the Quaternary or other periods in Earth's history.[2]

In the terminology of glaciology, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in both northern and southern hemispheres.[3] By this definition, we are in an interglacial period—the Holocene. The amount of heat trapping gases emitted into Earth's oceans and atmosphere are predicted to prevent the next glacial period, which otherwise would begin in around 50,000 years, and likely more glacial cycles.[4][5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:04 am

In my opinion Grata Thumberg is not the way to get sceptics to change their mind. I think If anything she has had the opposite effect.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

I think she is brave

Last edited by Peta on 02 Oct 2019, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 7:53 pm

Do we really need another thread?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 7:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Greta Thunberg has overtaken Temple Grandin as the worlds most famous Autistic person.

She has been diagnosed and presented with depression and OCD common co morbids of autism that are mental illnesses. She publicly presents with traits of those illnesses. So the critics saying she is "mentally ill" are technology correct.

Do I need to say that the "concern" by her critics are a bunch of crocodile tears and that they are doing what they accuse others of doing, using her?

Mental illnesses and Autism are nearly being constantly being conflated as well as the idea that since Autistics are mentally ill our opinions can be dismissed. This is undoing a lot the progress that has been made over the last few years.

If you are skeptical or against the scientific consensus this is the worst thing that has happened to your cause. It projects as a parade of older white males ganging up on a teenage girl. They are giving validation to the idea prevalent in many circles that conservative=misogynist. It reeks of the old females are hysterical stereotype.

Greta is saying the world will come to an end in 12 years time.
Are you saying this is a rational statement?

I'm a reductionist.
Enjoy my brilliance. :mrgreen:

EzraS wrote:
In my opinion Grata Thumberg is not the way to get sceptics to change their mind. I think If anything she has had the opposite effect.

Hysteria never advances a rational argument,
GOD DAMN IT!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! :mrgreen:

BDavro wrote:
Do we really need another thread?

Yes!

But the more relevant question is: Do we really need you? 8O :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pepe on 02 Oct 2019, 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 7:56 pm

The world is not going to end in 12 years----that's obvious.

Just like it's obvious that the world wasn't created in 4004 BC.