Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 7:07 am

For those who self-identify as Gen-Xers, what if anything does this mean to you?

Baby Boomers and Millennials seem to have a stronger sense of group identity. The strongest sense of shared generational culture that I get from Xers is cynicism, plus they seem predisposed to get angry about things.

OTOH they seem to be the generation most likely to be in positions of authority nowadays, as Boomers retire and Millennials struggle to advance. It's my impression that they played a major role in the rise of the Tea Party in the US, despite the fact that Barack Obama is technically a member of their own generation.

Thoughts?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 3:53 pm

None of that Tea Party Obama stuff applies to me since I'm Canadian. But I do consider myself a part of Generation X.

And why shouldn't we be cynical? The Baby Boomers have destroyed the environment, and the Millennials have destroyed everything else. :roll:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 4:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
None of that Tea Party Obama stuff applies to me since I'm Canadian. But I do consider myself a part of Generation X.

And why shouldn't we be cynical? The Baby Boomers have destroyed the environment, and the Millennials have destroyed everything else. :roll:

I'd be curious just what you think the millennials have destroyed?

As for Obama, I can recall being told during his administration that Canadians were angry at the US because of resistance to building the Keystone XL pipeline, for which they largely blamed Obama, but I suppose you weren't one of those Canadians.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 7:31 pm

The song Bastards of Young by the Replacements is a great song that sums up Gen X in a lot of ways. Lines such as:

"We are the sons of no one, Bastards of Young."
Unwillingness to claim us, ya got no war to name us
The ones, love us best are the ones we'll lay to rest
And visit their graves on holidays at best
The ones, love us least are the ones we'll die to please
If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them"

I think part of the cynicism comes from the fact that they were the first "latchkey" generation. I think many Gen Xers feel they were ignored by their parents who were too self-absorbed in their Baby Boomerie. The Breakfast Club is a perfect reflection of the Gen X experience and reaction to growing up that way.