Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

Joe90 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Many Aspies develop phobias. Sometimes these phobias can grow and intensify and turn into Agoraphobia.

Agoraphobia is a type of anxiety disorder in which an individual fears and avoids places or situations that might cause them to panic and feel trapped, helpless or embarrassed. They fear an actual or anticipated situation. These situations can include open spaces, public transit, shopping centers, being in a crowd, or simply being outside their home. The anxiety is caused by fear that there's no easy way to escape or get help if the anxiety intensifies. Most people who have agoraphobia develop it after having one or more panic attacks, causing them to worry about having another attack and avoid the places where it may happen again. People with agoraphobia often have a hard time feeling safe in any public place, especially where crowds gather. They may feel that they need a companion, such as a relative or friend, to go with them to public places. The fear can be so overwhelming that they may feel unable to even leave their home.

I get agoraphobia on and off, but I don't think it's full-blown. Agoraphobia is more of an emotion with me. I can go out if I need to (like to work or grocery shopping), but I can sometimes say, "I feel agoraphobic" and avoid going into town. I become especially agoraphobic at certain times too, like for example I tend to avoid getting public transport during rush hour, and I avoid being out after dark, particularly on weekends.
My social anxiety in public can look contradictive; I feel anxiety and panic in crowded public places but I also feel anxiety and panic in almost empty public places. But these are anxieties caused by different things. The anxiety I get in crowds is caused by impatience, irritability and some type of sensory overload. The anxiety I get when public places are too quiet (like at night) is caused by feelings of vulnerability, loneliness (even if there are people about), and even disorientation because it's dark and people seem more like a threat, as they are more likely to be drunk at night. So if I do happen to be out at night, I suddenly crave the daytime atmosphere and the crowds! :lol:

I can relate though it's gotten better since last year. It's an up and down thing with me too. Sometimes I need to go outside and get some fresh air. Other days, and this is especially difficult on days I need to work, I am almost deathly afraid of being outside or being around anybody to the point where I'm afraid to pass by strangers on the street.

And, don't get me started on small office spaces. I found out the hard way this is a powerful fear I have and is starting to become rather intrusive to my life. I'm working to overcome it, though.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 2:38 am

nick007 wrote:
I have a problem with heights but only if there's a chance I could fall.

Same. When I was 2, I was at a playground and while climbing I ended up falling, and I've had a fear of heights ever since. Strangely, when I was an older kid, I was still able to climb that same ladder-type-thing, but the fear of heights remained in other contexts, like rock-climbing and that sort of thing.

I also had a fear of birds as a kid but I don't really have that anymore.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 7:55 am

Yakuzamonroe wrote:

I can relate though it's gotten better since last year. It's an up and down thing with me too. Sometimes I need to go outside and get some fresh air. Other days, and this is especially difficult on days I need to work, I am almost deathly afraid of being outside or being around anybody to the point where I'm afraid to pass by strangers on the street.

And, don't get me started on small office spaces. I found out the hard way this is a powerful fear I have and is starting to become rather intrusive to my life. I'm working to overcome it, though.

I am relieved to know that I'm not the only one with such a strong people phobia, but I'm also sorry to hear that it is a barrier to so many of us here. When my husband and I lived in more urban areas, I would hide indoors for months to avoid people (even the mailman). Any chance of a social encounter terrified me. I would hide if anyone even knocked on the door!

Now that we live out in the forest and away from humans (in a very rural area), I have so much more time outdoors. I am, however, even more avoidant of going "outside" of our home zone these days--unless it involves hiking a low-trafficked wildlife trail or something of that nature.

Do you work in an office space?

Side note: I love your Berserk avatar/profile photo!