Do you resent your parents for not getting you assessed asap

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 11:32 am

Several schools told my parents that I needed psychology help and they would just beat me saying this was the kind of therapy I needed – this is why even today I still feel uncomfortable seeking mental help. I resent them a lot of it, I feel like they robbed me an opportunity to understand myself and try to adapt or get proper treatment.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 11:49 am

I do not resent my parents. They already knew I had something and my mom took me to doctors and would get me tested. I was also in special education. My mom also did the work herself than relying on therapy and teachers. My mom even seeked therapy for me by 5th grade.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 11:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Honestly, I feel like some parents don't want a "label" attached to a kid----so they don't bother assessing the kid.

There are some parents who would feel embarrassed about having a kid with any sort of disorder.

There are some parents who are just lazy.

I never bothered trying to get my son labeled if he is already on the IEP and already getting help from teachers. I didn't need a label if my son wasn't a bothersome at home other than being hyper and impulsive. I only sought outside help for him when his anxiety was starting to impact his life and it was getting worse.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
Several schools told my parents that I needed psychology help and they would just beat me saying this was the kind of therapy I needed – this is why even today I still feel uncomfortable seeking mental help. I resent them a lot of it, I feel like they robbed me an opportunity to understand myself and try to adapt or get proper treatment.

Sorry to hear.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 12:17 pm

If he's already on an IEP, isn't there already some "label" attached to him?

Sounds like you're doing your job as a parent to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 1:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If he's already on an IEP, isn't there already some "label" attached to him?

Not a medical diagnoses. He has one now after his first session though.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:42 am

My parents got me assessed, but I resent being misdiagnosed for years

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:19 am

I don't resent it one bit for a few reasons: 1) I would have been misdiagnosed in the 1970s. 2) I'm skeptical that a host of "early interventions" help kids in the long run. Instead, my Mom knew what I needed and she crafted an environment for me that helped me learn about the world from her but largely on my own with as little stress as possible.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:22 am

After I failed Year 8 and was halfway through failing Year 9, I was sent to the school psychologist. I went there for a good six months. But they never told my mum. And me, keeping everything to myself, didn't tell my mum either. I narrowly missed being sent to special ed by moving to another school and doing reasonably well there.

Asperger's Syndrome was on the diagnostic disorders list when I was 17 and leaving school. The first thing I did then was get a job where I stayed in my comfort zone for the next 10 years.

It was after a stint in hospital for depression that I was diagnosed with autism. The psychologist interviewed my mum over the phone about me, asking questions about my behaviours as a little kid and so on. The psychologist also reassured my mum that due to the timing of diagnoses around the world and such, I couldn't have been diagnosed as a young child. Also, doctors would have put everything down to my eyesight (which is pretty bad even after lots of surgeries).

I don't blame my mum. She often told me as a kid not to do this or that "inappropriate" behaviour out in public but I really find that kind of funny now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:24 am

Early intervention helps in relatively severe autism.

The theory behind it is that little children’s neural systems are more “plastic” than that of older children’s—and can be adjusted towards “normality” through such interventions as Applied Behavioral Analysis.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:03 am

No, because autism wasn't really talked about much. The only cases of autism I heard about when I was growing up were severe. The only thing I wish is that I could have made more progress in being independent when I was younger and my brain was at peak efficiency.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:41 am

I resent that my mother (and father to some degree) ridiculed me rather than helping me. She did know enough to get me a therapist and meditation tapes, but on a daily basis she was exasperated by me. He knew enough to help me redirect my unproductive thoughts sometimes, but was otherwise absent. To her defense she is Aspie-like and was abused as a child (in many ways) and had no parents. To his defense sensitive men weren't caregivers back then. And now... well, they are still invalidating me (pending official diagnosis)... so it's for me to gently educate them even though I am brimming with resentment: thinking wouldn't it be nice if for once they helped me rather than invalidated me, but that ship sailed decades ago, time to validate myself and help them. :|