Ex-cop Amber Guyger is found guilty of murder

Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm

She will likely be paroled in 5 years (ex-cop, killing was unintentional, forgiven by family).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Do a thought experiment.

Imagine if both she and the victim were Black.

Imagine if they were both White.

Would your thinking on the issue change at all?

Nope.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

All I can think about is what if it were my family, or me.

We are sitting in our home, what is ordinarily supposed to be the most secure place in a person's life. Doing nothing, bothering no one. In barges a cop, instead of apologizing profusely and backing out, the b***h pulls her weapon and shoots us. If a lay person did that, we would be mortified, apologetic, etc...

Just barging in the wrong home should have been cause for termination. The fact that this woman took no thought except to kill a man eating a bowl of ice cream, is scary. Even if he were in the wrong apartment... but he wasn't, she was.

I'm sorry, something is very wrong with this situation.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:14 pm

I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?

I think the argument her lawyer is making is that she was tired from shiftwork and wasn't thinking straight. To be honest she probably wasn't seeking to kill anyone but her subsequent reaction suggests she is neither fit for police work or particularly concerned for the young man she subsequently killed.

The evidence suggests she sexted her boyfriend trying to book a restaurant while claiming to apply CPR to resuscitate the victim. That would suggest she seemed disassociated to the act she just did? perhaps she thought she could get away with it after the event? It's looking like she could be out within 3 years though on good behavior. That wouldn't please the family of the victim.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:54 pm

I read somewhere that the victim's brother forgave Guyger for the shooting.

She certainly committed a horrible murder by negligence, and probably wasn't fit to be a policewoman, but perhaps society and the rest of us will be better off if we were to let it stand as a tragedy instead of a matter for squabbling on the Internet about race relations.

On a positive note about race relations I am seeing zero racism at churches I've been attending recently--all cultures & colors are confident to attend and seem to have a very dedicated prayer life. Was it 26 nations represented at one parish, and a priest from India? Yes. Was it a parish full of wealthy white folks rubbing shoulders with poor whites, homeschoolers with six howling kids, black people from across the pay grade? Yes--a black man on the sidewalk verbally attacked a black parishioner for being a race traitor, going to "white people church." (Fun fact: Roman Catholicism is growing faster in Africa and China than in any other part of the world.) The beautiful thing was that the men of the parish began to descend the steps shoulder to shoulder, a tuxedo-wearing riot mob ready to peacefully separate the racist on the sidewalk and their fellow Catholic, and when the guy saw a quiet, grave mass of black and white Catholics headed for him he shut up and started shuffling away.
In another church literally nobody gives a thought to race. One priest is white, one is black. The congregation hung up a big map at a parish function and put stickers on it--I think there were almost 20 countries represented.

I know, fairly limited sample size, but it was nice to see brotherhood at work. The victim's brother in the Guyger case is the hero of the newspapers as far as I am concerned. :D

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:13 pm

On a side note.
Joshua Brown a key wittness in the Amber Guyger trial and neighbor of Botham Jean was shot to death in Dallas.He was fatally shot friday in the parking lot of his apartment complex.

CNN full story

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:16 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.

It's debatable as to her state of mind prior to the shooting; however, her response immediately after the shooting suggest sociopathic tendencies, her reaction to murdering an innocent man seems to be highly lacking in empathy for the victim.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Her defense is that she thought Mr. Jean was going to kill her.

“I thought he was going to kill me because I couldn’t see his hands,” she said
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... rder-trial

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 12:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's debatable as to her state of mind prior to the shooting; however, her response immediately after the shooting suggest sociopathic tendencies, her reaction to murdering an innocent man seems to be highly lacking in empathy for the victim.

I recall reading how she harbors racial prejudices against blacks. I think she did what plenty of police officers do when confronted by a black person - - she immediately went for her gun, expecting the worst because of the person's skin color.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 12:29 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
“I thought he was going to kill me because I couldn’t see his hands,” she said
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... rder-trial

So we are back to the dark room/invisible black man argument. her lawyer must be going through a checklist of possible defendable positions...so couldn't see his hands therefore she felt compelled to shoot him?

If I walk into my apartment (when I used to have an apartment) the first thing I would do is switch on my lights.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 8:45 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I recall reading how she harbors racial prejudices against blacks. I think she did what plenty of police officers do when confronted by a black person - - she immediately went for her gun, expecting the worst because of the person's skin color.

cyberdad wrote:
So we are back to the dark room/invisible black man argument. her lawyer must be going through a checklist of possible defendable positions...so couldn't see his hands therefore she felt compelled to shoot him?

I wonder if she is as obsessed with skin color as you two.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 9:00 am

Normal people don't walk into somebody else's apartment, no matter what color they are.

Old people, with dementia walk to the wrong home. Drunk people, or people out of their minds go to the wrong home. Or people who feel the just don't need to be aware of where they are. Even then, something is wrong with that attitude. She had the attitude that she didn't need to be careful because she's a cop, packing heat who will blow someone away, even if she's in the wrong. Maybe she needs to be in a psych ward, I can't imagine prison is going to improve her people skills.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 9:06 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Normal people don't walk into somebody else's apartment, no matter what color they are.

Old people, with dementia walk to the wrong home. Drunk people, or people out of their minds go to the wrong home. Or people who feel the just don't need to be aware of where they are. Even then, something is wrong with that attitude. She had the attitude that she didn't need to be careful because she's a cop, packing heat who will blow someone away, even if she's in the wrong. Maybe she needs to be in a psych ward, I can't imagine prison is going to improve her people skills.
She is clearly a very disturbed individual,she belongs in a hospital not prison

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 11:52 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

cyberdad wrote:

I wonder if she is as obsessed with skin color as you two.

She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う