Ex-cop Amber Guyger is found guilty of murder

Page 6 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

06 Oct 2019, 11:54 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

06 Oct 2019, 12:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.
I am simply expressing my opinion.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

06 Oct 2019, 12:42 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.
I am simply expressing my opinion.


It's a good thing uninformed opinions don't carry any weight in the legal system, otherwise this murderer might have received an even more absurdly light sentence. Oh well, I'm sure she'll enjoy the friends she makes in gen-pop.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

06 Oct 2019, 2:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.
I am simply expressing my opinion.


It's a good thing uninformed opinions don't carry any weight in the legal system, otherwise this murderer might have received an even more absurdly light sentence. Oh well, I'm sure she'll enjoy the friends she makes in gen-pop.

They won't put her in gen pop,she'll be in a cell 23 hours a day.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

06 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.
I am simply expressing my opinion.


It's a good thing uninformed opinions don't carry any weight in the legal system, otherwise this murderer might have received an even more absurdly light sentence. Oh well, I'm sure she'll enjoy the friends she makes in gen-pop.

They won't put her in gen pop,she'll be in a cell 23 hours a day.


We'll see how long she prefers PC/solitary before requesting to be transferred out; most people tend to re-evaluate how badly they need it after a few weeks unless they've already been victimized by other inmates. The dilemma of choosing voluntary torture vs. risking the potential of facing violence from other inmates gets to be her constant companion for the next while.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

06 Oct 2019, 2:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
So we are back to the dark room/invisible black man argument. her lawyer must be going through a checklist of possible defendable positions...so couldn't see his hands therefore she felt compelled to shoot him?

Mr. Jeans's apartment smelled of marijuana.

She says she told him to "Raise your hands".

It's possible the drug made him less able to follow her instructions.

She says he briskly approached her without raising his hands.

So, she fired.

The lead investigator said in court that he didn't feel she was guilty of any crime.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,976
Location: Sweden

06 Oct 2019, 3:01 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The lead investigator said in court that he didn't feel she was guilty of any crime.


Then he's unfit for his job. From the victims perspective, she's an armed home invader. He would have been within his rights to shoot her had he been armed.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

06 Oct 2019, 4:11 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

The lead investigator said in court that he didn't feel she was guilty of any crime.
If that was said I'm surprised she got convicted.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

06 Oct 2019, 4:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm coming in late to this thread. Has anyone on WP defended Guyger at all? And if so, what are their arguments?
She was in a daze at the time of the shooting and was not in her right mind.I believe Amber Guyger is not a sociopath but just made a terrible mistake.


Can you prove she was in a daze, or are you just claiming it because she said so and you want to believe her? The fact that's what the murderer claimed in an attempt to diminish their legal liability doesn't make it so.
I am simply expressing my opinion.


It's a good thing uninformed opinions don't carry any weight in the legal system, otherwise this murderer might have received an even more absurdly light sentence. Oh well, I'm sure she'll enjoy the friends she makes in gen-pop.

They won't put her in gen pop,she'll be in a cell 23 hours a day.


We'll see how long she prefers PC/solitary before requesting to be transferred out; most people tend to re-evaluate how badly they need it after a few weeks unless they've already been victimized by other inmates. The dilemma of choosing voluntary torture vs. risking the potential of facing violence from other inmates gets to be her constant companion for the next while.
A lot of that will depend on the type of prison she is sent to.There was a Massachusetts state trooper who stabbed a DA who caught him destroying evidence.Instead of state prison he was sent to the Hampshire county jail.Mostly hippies serving time for pot offenses.

She could do ok in gen pop if she goes to a minimum security facility,I don't know if Texas will let you serve a state bid in a county jail,in Massachusetts you can do that.It all depends on what decisions the Texas DOC makes on her case.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,324
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

06 Oct 2019, 4:24 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
A lot of that will depend on the type of prison she is sent to.There was a Massachusetts state trooper who stabbed a DA who caught him destroying evidence.Instead of state prison he was sent to the Hampshire county jail.Mostly hippies serving time for pot offenses.

She could do ok in gen pop if she goes to a minimum security facility,I don't know if Texas will let you serve a state bid in a county jail,in Massachusetts you can do that.It all depends on what decisions the Texas DOC makes on her case.


Putting a murderer in a minimum security facility should result in community outrage, at least if the community has any sense of decency.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

07 Oct 2019, 1:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?


So what is the theory?

She decided to walk in to his apartment, shoot him because he was black, and then make up a story?

Or if the exact same scenario took place, except the person she thought was an intruder was white, she would have been okay with that?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,362

07 Oct 2019, 1:24 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Mr. Jeans's apartment smelled of marijuana.
She says she told him to "Raise your hands".

She missed numerous signs indicating she was not on the right floor or at the right apartment the night of the shooting, a according to the prosecutor.

The fourth floor of the garage where she parked after her 13.5-hour shift was open air, unlike her parking area on the third floor, Jason Hermus, a prosecutor with the district attorney's office, told jurors.
She failed to notice a skylight, a neighbor's decorative planter, Jean's red doormat and differences in the hallways, Hermus said. Once she opened the door to Jean's apartment, he continued, she didn't notice other differences, including a missing table, clutter on the counter and the aroma of marijuana,

A reasonable person would know the smell of marijuana would trigger memory that it's not their apartment. It becomes like a bad Dave Chapelle joke that Jean Botham hung pictures of his family and decided to smoke marijuana when he was supposed to be robbing her apartment? her police instincts obviously never kicked in. The fact she couldn't find a light switch should have told her she was in the wrong apartment

LoveNotHate wrote:
It's possible the drug made him less able to follow her instructions.
She says he briskly approached her without raising his hands.
So, she fired.

As she was the only witness we have to take this at her word...

LoveNotHate wrote:
The lead investigator said in court that he didn't feel she was guilty of any crime.

He would obviously reverse that sentiment if it was his daughter shot by a black police officer in her own apartment.

Guyger was charged with culbable homicide

Prosecutors said it was “absurd” to believe the 31-year-old’s “commando-style” behaviour was reasonable, especially given her training as a police officer and status as a more than four-year veteran of the department.

They noted that Guyger failed to retreat and call for back-up, questioned the veracity of her claim to have given Jean verbal commands before firing, and pointed out that after calling 911 she appeared to provide only limited medical assistance as Jean, who was from St Lucia, lay dying from a chest wound.

Rather than feeling tired, prosecutors alleged, she was distracted because she had been “sexting” a colleague. Jean had a bright red mat in front of his door that ought to have been impossible to miss.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,362

07 Oct 2019, 1:26 am

EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?


So what is the theory?

She decided to walk in to his apartment, shoot him because he was black, and then make up a story?

Or if the exact same scenario took place, except the person she thought was an intruder was white, she would have been okay with that?


The BLM people claim that her action to draw a weapon and fire was because he was black and male



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

07 Oct 2019, 1:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?


So what is the theory?

She decided to walk in to his apartment, shoot him because he was black, and then make up a story?

Or if the exact same scenario took place, except the person she thought was an intruder was white, she would have been okay with that?


The BLM people claim that her action to draw a weapon and fire was because he was black and male


Based on what? And what do they claim her action would have been if weren't black?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,362

07 Oct 2019, 1:56 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?


So what is the theory?

She decided to walk in to his apartment, shoot him because he was black, and then make up a story?

Or if the exact same scenario took place, except the person she thought was an intruder was white, she would have been okay with that?


The BLM people claim that her action to draw a weapon and fire was because he was black and male


Based on what? And what do they claim her action would have been if weren't black?


I actually think the BLM are overreaching themselves here as they can't prove she wouldn't have shot another person in the same position. They supported a Somali-American police officer who shot an Australian woman only because he was black which didn't make sense to me.

The recent murder of the only witness in the case makes me wonder if Jean Botham himself might have been a police hit?



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

07 Oct 2019, 2:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
She's openly discussed her racism, how is it not relevant?


So what is the theory?

She decided to walk in to his apartment, shoot him because he was black, and then make up a story?

Or if the exact same scenario took place, except the person she thought was an intruder was white, she would have been okay with that?


The BLM people claim that her action to draw a weapon and fire was because he was black and male


Based on what? And what do they claim her action would have been if weren't black?


I actually think the BLM are overreaching themselves here as they can't prove she wouldn't have shot another person in the same position. They supported a Somali-American police officer who shot an Australian woman only because he was black which didn't make sense to me.

The recent murder of the only witness in the case makes me wonder if Jean Botham himself might have been a police hit?


Anything is possible. Likelihood is another thing.

I think it is likely she would had the same knee-jerk reaction to finding any man in (what she thought was) her apartment.

I think it is also likely that Botham Jean stood up and maybe walked towards the door to see what was going on. From what I know of Amber Guyger's testimony she yelled "show me your hands!" rather than "freeze! police office don't move!".