Anybody reminded about "personal growth" while growing up?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

Even before the Autism spectrum was understood, I was told about personal growth by an awesome art, and language studies teachers in middle school.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 6:55 pm

I recently read Temple Grandin's book, 'The Loving Push' - which talked about how important it is for autistic kids to have a mentor figure, for extra help in learning the life skills that we don't easily figure out on our own.

No, I didn't have anything like that growing up. (But I'm learning - it's never too late!) :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

Sometimes, "personal growth" is cool.

Sometimes, it's just nonsense found in "self-help books."

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:40 am

I don't remember it being a thing growing up. I was in survival mode all through school, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to personal development

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sometimes, "personal growth" is cool.

Sometimes, it's just nonsense found in "self-help books."

After conducting a 'Google Books' search of publications before the year 1980 (at the time I was reminded of personal growth - before all of the "self-help" mass propaganda) applying the terms 'personal growth' and 'art.' Search-results showed professional publications in education, and psychology at the time.

The concepts behind the 'humanistic approaches to education' also appeared in the 'Google Book' search results. Hence I was glad I had teachers who applied these humanistic approaches in education.

In this day and age in education, we MUST reclaim those humanistic approaches to education!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:02 am

The first time I heard the words "personal growth" used was in the Toastmasters mission statement.