I just took an Autism Spectrum Quotient test

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2019, 4:11 pm

I scored a 29 out of a possible 50 points. It said that a score in the 26-32 range indicates some traits of Autism, or that I have Asperger's Syndrome. Here's the link to the test that I took:

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autis ... -quotient/

Is it a legitimate test for Autism? If not, which test can I rely on to determine if I have some kind of Autism Spectrum Disorder or not?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

savavdpeas wrote:
Is it a legitimate test for Autism?
No. on-line tests are, at best, mere indicators of possible conditions. Nothing more.
savavdpeas wrote:
If not, which test can I rely on to determine if I have some kind of Autism Spectrum Disorder or not?
One administered by an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioner.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2019, 4:24 pm

Ok thanks. I never really thought that I have/had some form of Autism. I have been diagnosed by my psychiatrist with Social Phobia and Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have never been formally diagnosed as being on the spectrum.

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2019, 4:34 pm

I guess the reason I took that test is because, deep down, I wanted to "believe" that I have some form of Autism, even if it is the most minuscule amount.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:51 pm

I have not been officially assessed yet. There is a waiting list here in many parts of the UK.
I habe tried those online things. See results below on my signature thing. The first test (The AQ test I think it is, I had around 32 the first time I tried it as an aspie ex.GF had me take it... But some questions I put "No" to as I didn't know what the technicalterms mean. When I did find out and took it again I had 41... And then took a few tests online about a week ago and it came out as 39. I do not know what I did different! Also, the other test things I just did not expect to score anything like the way I did!)

When I origionally came on this site to find out about shutdowns, I assumed I was somewhere on the boarderline. Since joining and asking questions I have had shock discovery after shock discovery. Things I assumed were just part of my rather unique character... Well.. I found quite a few of them were traits of being on the spectrum! How could I live for so long and never know this! Haha. I have no idea!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:53 pm

I feel these online tests are more like screening tools than actual diagnostic tools.

They tell you whether it would be worth your while for you to get a formal assessment for autism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:11 pm

I got 20. Which puts me in the NT range. But I was officially dxd with aspergers.

So if you got 29 then you're probably "ten pounds of autistic in a five bag!". :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I got 20. Which puts me in the NT range. But I was officially dxd with aspergers.

So if you got 29 then you're probably "ten pounds of autistic in a five bag!". :lol:

Don't say that! With my score when I tried it, it makes me feel like I am..... Whatever the word is that I am thinking! Haha. Sorry. Mind blank!

I find you fascinating Naturalplastic. In an interesting and good way. :)

Trophonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2019, 5:39 pm

savavdpeas wrote:
Ok thanks. I never really thought that I have/had some form of Autism. I have been diagnosed by my psychiatrist with Social Phobia and Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have never been formally diagnosed as being on the spectrum.

That may very well be the reason you scored high on the online test.

Autistic traits can be caused by many reasons (depression, anxiety, social phobia), and even acquired later in life. This is what makes autism so hard to diagnose in adults, and much easier with children. It is the job of a trained psychologist to determine if the autistic traits the patient has are in fact of autistic origin.

But people diagnosed with autism can score both lower and higher on those online tests. I think that if you had autism, your psychiatrist would have told you already.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 9:44 pm

It's a test developed at a University and some psychologists actually use it as part of the assessment process, but it isn't an assessment in itself.

Anyone who takes the test and has concerns about the result (or even has concerns without having taken any test) should talk to a psychologist about said concerns.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2019, 11:52 am

I was Dx's with Asperger's 25 years ago, I just took that test and got 43/50...so there is that. It is similar to some of the basic things they go over, but there are other things that are more in depth to get to a true Dx. This is as others have said more or less a basic screening tool.