Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 8:43 am

How rare is a detached retina?

i ask because my cousin who has aspergers lost his sight in one eye because he self harmed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:07 am

It's pretty common in boxing and in violent sports in general.

Otherwise, it's not too common----though it's not really "rare," either.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's pretty common in boxing and in violent sports in general.

Otherwise, it's not too common----though it's not really "rare," either.

What do you think of my cousins actions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:11 am

Self-Harming----is harmful.

Obviously, I don't feel your cousin did the right thing.

Why does he harm himself like that?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Self-Harming----is harmful.

Obviously, I don't feel your cousin did the right thing.

Why does he harm himself like that?

He told me he got “intrusive thoughts” too hurt his eye and did things too his eye too relieve the anxiety. His intention wasn’t too hurt himself really I just don’t think he realised the damage he was doing too his eyes and felt the need to perform certain actions too his eyes too give him a ‘relief’.

His retina detached back in 2015 and he didn’t seek treatment in time so now he’s got impaired/very blurred vision in that one eye.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:20 am

Is he seeing a therapist? Any person who has "intrusive thoughts" like that needs to see a therapist.

He should go to an eye doctor to see if there's some way at least more vision could be restored in that eye. Have him put his name on the waiting list.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is he seeing a therapist? Any person who has "intrusive thoughts" like that needs to see a therapist.

He should go to an eye doctor to see if there's some way at least more vision could be reserved in that eye. Have him put his name on the waiting list.

My cousins been on medication since 2017. I think the meds have helped cut down on his self harming behaviour. :P

Yeah he had an operation on that eye a few years ago but there was so much scar tissue on his retina that that even the best eye doctor in the world could only give him limited vision back. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2019, 7:27 am

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He should go to an eye doctor to see if there's some way at least more vision could be reserved in that eye. Have him put his name on the waiting list.

My cousins been on medication since 2017. I think the meds have helped cut down on his self harming behaviour. :P

Yeah he had an operation on that eye a few years ago but there was so much scar tissue on his retina that that even the best eye doctor in the world could only give him limited vision back. :(
I have intrusive thoughts too that are a lot better on meds. I never had thoughts to self-harm thou I did self-harm majorly 1ce & I've had intrusive thoughts about other bad/dangerous things which are better on meds.

My grandpa got a detached retina as a result of some kinda accident. It might of been related to a fall &/or construction accident. He's had lots of various accidents in his lifetime so I cant remember. There wasn't anything that could be done for the detached retina at the time so he was blind out of that eye for a while. Eventually they were able to reattach it when he was getting cataract surgery on his good eye. They were able to reattach his retina but he only got back partial eyesight out of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition