The latest unhinged solution to climate change.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:53 am

The latest unhinged solution to climate change - eating babies.

A seemingly troubled woman at a town hall hosted by Democratic New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in her district stood up to demand the congresswoman support drastic measures to combat climate change, such as "eating babies."

“We’re not going to be here for much longer, because of the climate crisis," the woman pleaded. "We only have a few months left. I love that you support the Green Deal, but it’s not gonna get rid of fossil fuel. It’s not going to solve the problem fast enough. A Swedish professor said we can eat dead people, but it’s not fast enough! So, I think your next campaign slogan needs to be this: We’ve got to start eating babies.

Removing her jacket to reveal a T-shirt with the phrase “Save the planet Eat the Children,” the woman continued, “We don’t have a enough time. There’s too much CO2."

"All of you!" she went on, turning to those around her, "You’re a pollutant! Too much CO2. We have to start now. Please — you are so great. I’m so happy that you are supporting a Green New Deal, but it’s not enough. Even if we were to bomb Russia, it’s not enough. There’s too many people, too much pollution. So, we have to get rid of the babies. That’s a big problem. Just stopping having babies just isn’t enough. We need to eat the babies. This is very serious. Please give a response.”

Source: 'Get rid of the babies!': Distraught woman at AOC town hall urges 'eating babies' to fight climate change

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:59 am

Jonathon Swift proposed a similar idea to solve the problem of poverty in Ireland in the 18th Century. He was being satirical, though.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:03 am

Trueno wrote:
Jonathon Swift proposed a similar idea to solve the problem of poverty in Ireland in the 18th Century. He was being satirical, though.
After several attempts to instigate policies with parliament, Irish writer Jonathan Swift channeled his ire into "A Modest Proposal" (pub. 1729), a satirical pamphlet that posited child-eating as the only viable solution to the country's famine.

Link to Article

The full title of Swift's article is: "A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Publick".

Despite its shocking premise, the pamphlet did little to shock the public when it was first released. It was largely ignored by critics, and those who did read it recognized the absurdity of its argument and did not take it as a serious proposal.

Of course, Swift most likely never meant for it to be taken seriously by anyone.

But by making such a shocking and distasteful suggestion, he meant to call attention to the severity of the problem that was at hand. In doing so, he also cemented his place in history as the father of Western satire, a form that has been going strong ever since.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:19 am

This is why I have a strong dislike for dooms-day prophets, catastrophic speeches and hysterical news/media. They cause panic and seem to drive some (probably already deranged) people over the edge.

Maybe a measured, logical and calm manner doesn't catch enough people's attention, but the opposite is surely opening a whole different can of worms.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:57 am

Maybe she, like J.Swift, was just trying to shock people into doing something about the problem she saw.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Maybe she, like J.Swift, was just trying to shock people into doing something about the problem she saw.

Maybe!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:28 am

As it turns out, I found out that this is a bit of "fake news". So I apologize!

The Lyndon LaRouche PAC, a group that supports President Trump, admitted Friday that it was behind a bizarre demonstration in which a woman told Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., she should push for people to "eat" babies in order to save the planet from climate change.

"It was us," the group tweeted. "Malthusianism isn't new, Jonathan Swift knew that. Sometimes, only satire works," referring to English demographer Thomas Malthus and the Irish satirist Jonathan Swift. The group linked to one of its press releases which claimed that the United Nations would cost millions of lives and create poverty by pursuing its plans for emissions reductions.

Source: Outburst at Ocasio-Cortez town hall was political group's doing, it admits

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 9:18 am

A better solution would be to eat republicans. They're more prone to brain farts that affect the environment. ;)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 9:17 am

When I was a kid I read something similar to this about how to end war. Make the soldiers eat the people they kill. Most soldiers will find it too repulsive, which will mean an end to war.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 9:19 am

firemonkey wrote:
A better solution would be to eat republicans. They're more prone to brain farts that affect the environment.
Sorry ... I don't eat tainted hams.