Starting a autism homestead for adults on the spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2019, 10:40 pm

Would it be a good idea? does anything like this exist for higher functioning people on the spectrum?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:55 pm

Cloudman wrote:
Would it be a good idea? does anything like this exist for higher functioning people on the spectrum?

A alittle shy to say out loud....................................ITS A GREAT FRIGGIN IDEA .

but on what planet? Where?

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:57 pm

Cloudman wrote:

A alittle shy to say out loud....................................ITS A GREAT FRIGGIN IDEA .

where ever you go ,there you are

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:02 pm

I seem to recall that when Bea Arthur was still on WP she posted a link about an autism specific community in California or Arizona or something. It seemed to be more like a retirement community or something. I recall the cost was outrageous and to me it seemed like the kind of place where well off parents would most likely pay for their autistic adult children to live on their own but in the safety of a community.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2019, 10:07 am

Don’t know yet but would most likely be hosted by a open minded individual or organization if not some kind of research program. Then if it gained traction it could become a rehabilitation center of sorts for people with asd who feel lost. Or a farm which would be my desire. So many innovative people will probably come together. Cost is also important. That says a lot the fact that program was just to get rid of there child with autism. It means there is much needed improvement.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 10:11 am

A “good” idea? That depends on how it’s implemented, how much it costs, and who is responsible for paying for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 3:01 pm

I surmise that perhaps a centre for short-term 2 weeks respite care to support healing and rest for adult burnout would fill a huge need, though the problems with just one such imaginary centre would be accessibility and appropriate staff - getting there, getting a booking, dealing with the transition when already burnout.

Both ideas I think have some merit though. Not sure about how practicable they would be, if organised by people with no experience of anything like this. I like the idea, though it would take careful planning on lots of levels.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2019, 7:22 pm

Jakki wrote:
Cloudman wrote:

Thanks I think if aspies where to come together with some nts as glue great things can be accomplished with otherwise people deemed to be at the bottom of society

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
A “good” idea? That depends on how it’s implemented, how much it costs, and who is responsible for paying for it.

Your right it needs to run good to be a good thing

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2019, 7:30 pm

B19 wrote:
I surmise that perhaps a centre for short-term 2 weeks respite care to support healing and rest for adult burnout would fill a huge need, though the problems with just one such imaginary centre would be accessibility and appropriate staff - getting there, getting a booking, dealing with the transition when already burnout.

Both ideas I think have some merit though. Not sure about how practicable they would be, if organised by people with no experience of anything like this. I like the idea, though it would take careful planning on lots of levels.
true it would have to be very accessible and able to handle if things don’t go well

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 8:25 am

Cloudman wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You're right.  It needs to run well to be a good thing.
Such projects also need more intensive planning that just "Hey!  Let's build homesteads for people on the spectrum!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.