How to prepare for 24/48 shift work and night work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 2:30 pm

I have a moderate disability certificate due to Asperger, in my country people with moderate or severe disability cannot work more than 7 hours a day, 35 hours a week, unless the doctor agrees to more, but usually not more than 9 hours a day.

Although there are also jobs that require more than 8 hours, such as a bodyguard, paramedic, fireman or policeman.

Firefighters, gladiators and paramedics are still subject to other legislation in my country and have their own medical boards.

Recently, I got a job offer from a labor office as a security guard, they have subsidies for employing people with disabilities, in my country this job is classified by our legislator as light work, which is why even a disabled person can work overtime even around the clock.

The occupational medicine doctor wrote to me that he agreed to work overtime 24/48

That was essential to be hired

In healthy people, overtime counts from 8 hours of work in my case from 7 hours.

I learned that I would work 12 hours a day or night (better paid) and I would have a day off, but I also learned that I would have a 24 hour shift on Saturday or Sunday :-(

It is true that well paid and two consecutive days offI have neighbor who is around 50 (i'm 34 almost) guy is a security guard, he could be an officer in Polish Army but had motorbike accident, he also history geek, i swear he Asperger too, but not tested :-)

Updated 6 mins ago:
Although he is completely healthy, if not for this accident on a motorcycle. He told me 24 hours work is hard work.

He said that "Yankees and Ivans (sorry if i offend someone ;-) ) who took care for American and Russian strategic ballistic missiles can even work over 24 hours a day waiting for orders that some of s**theads that currently rule Russia or America will decide that it is time for Armageddon :-)"

He told me to watch recommend my movie WarGames I said I watch it and it's great :-)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 954AAPrgwn

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 2:47 pm

Everyone is different. I can clear my flower beds of weeds several times a season by hand pulling the weeds. Most people can't do that.

But, would try to be well rested before a long shift and avoid difficult physical activities.

I would also try to come up with lists of activities to do based on the work schedule. To make sure I don't run out of food or clean clothes. And keep my bills paid.

Stimming may get you through a long shift with less stress. They may not care if you do a good job.

I take mid day naps in my basement because it is dark there. Figure out the best way of sleeping during the day,

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:35 pm

A shift schedule of 24 hours on followed by 48 hours off can be strenuous.

I have worked 16 hour days 6 days a week shift (combined swing shift & graveyard shift or otherwise known as 2nd & 3rd shift). Over 90 hours per week. I did this for a year. But I had no life, just eat and then off to bed. To make that work, I had to have a quiet room with blackout curtains. Curtains that block out all light and sound.

I think in a 24/48 shift, trying to stay awake for 24 hours straight might be a challenge. Being a security guard might be light duty and they may offer some ability to entertain yourself between security checks, such as watching television or playing video games. Video games would definitely keep me awake.

I suggest you take melatonin. This will help you reset your clock after each 24 hour shift.

Sufficient sleep will be very important if you want to maintain this shift for a long time. That should be your focus, if you take this job.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

jimmy m wrote:
A shift schedule of 24 hours on followed by 48 hours off can be strenuous.

I have worked 16 hour days 6 days a week shift (combined swing shift & graveyard shift or otherwise known as 2nd & 3rd shift). Over 90 hours per week. I did this for a year. But I had no life, just eat and then off to bed. To make that work, I had to have a quiet room with blackout curtains. Curtains that block out all light and sound.

I think in a 24/48 shift, trying to stay awake for 24 hours straight might be a challenge. Being a security guard might be light duty and they may offer some ability to entertain yourself between security checks, such as watching television or playing video games. Video games would definitely keep me awake.

I suggest you take melatonin. This will help you reset your clock after each 24 hour shift.

Sufficient sleep will be very important if you want to maintain this shift for a long time. That should be your focus, if you take this job.

What was your character if I could ask?
Because in my country such long shifts only my doctors, nurses, paramedics, police officers, firemen, soldiers, or security guards.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

I can stim by listening to music set a very low volume so I can just hear it in the headphones so that it won't interfere with work.