Buying less is better than buying 'green'

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Humans' overconsumption of resources - from the food and clothes we buy to the methods of transportation we choose - is a leading contributor to global climate change, says University of Arizona researcher Sabrina Helm. Therefore, it's increasingly important to understand the choices consumers make and how those decisions affect the health of a planet with limited resources.

In a new study, published in the journal Young Consumers, Helm and her collaborators explore how culturally entrenched materialistic values influence pro-environmental behaviors in millennials, who are now the nation's most influential group of consumers.

The researchers focused on two main categories of pro-environmental behaviors: 1) reduced consumption, which includes actions like repairing instead of replacing older items, avoiding impulse purchases and not buying unnecessary items; and 2) "green buying," or purchasing products designed to limit environmental impacts, such as goods made from recycled materials

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 100819.php

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 10:45 am

Well most of the time I barely have money to buy regular groceries let alone the "green" junk, and Christmas is about the only time I get new clothes, except for socks and underwear that I occasionally need to replace because they're wearing out. And I don't even have a car let alone drive one.

You know all this time I thought I was, in the eyes of society, a worthless hedonistic sub-human who wasted half of her life. But now that I realize I've been helping the environment, even unintentionally, makes feel a tiny bit better. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 10:38 pm

I chose not to get a driver's license as a teenager. I decided that I didn't want to add to the air pollution and that I'd rather walk or take the bus.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:34 am

Obviously, just like buying an expensive quality product that you won't replace soon is better than constantly buying cheap stuff. "The poor shpuld not buy cheap", as they say.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Oct 2019, 10:50 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Obviously, just like buying an expensive quality product that you won't replace soon is better than constantly buying cheap stuff. "The poor shpuld not buy cheap", as they say.
Absolutely. The problem is that the poor generally cant afford to buy expensive. Their choices are save up for a long time so they can buy something that last & save money in the long run or only spend a fraction of the price that they may not have to really save up for & then just buy repeatedly whenever the thing breaks/wears out/becomes obsolete.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition