Cathartic feelings & the Autism Spectrum.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: California

08 Oct 2019, 4:42 pm

Anybody feel that the Autism Spectrum presents challenges (aversions of sorts) in feeling/handling cathartic experiences?

Personally, art (drawing, photography) and creative writing have helped in understanding the importance of acknowledging cathartic experiences.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,920
Location: temperate zone

08 Oct 2019, 5:34 pm

What do you mean by "cathartic experiences"?

A "catharsis" means an "outpouring of emotion", getting a lot of stuff out of your system.

To purify oneself.

It can come through art or literature (either consuming it, or by producing it).

Or it used to mean an emotional breakthrough in psychotherapy that cures a neurosis.



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: California

08 Oct 2019, 5:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by "cathartic experiences"?

A "catharsis" means an "outpouring of emotion", getting a lot of stuff out of your system.

To purify oneself.

It can come through art or literature (either consuming it, or by producing it).

Or it used to mean an emotional breakthrough in psychotherapy that cures a neurosis.


I'm referring to the more common, everyday subtle cathartic experiences. As I mentioned, art and literature have personally proven helpful. One example, to reassess strengths in order to reassess weaknesses.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,920
Location: temperate zone

08 Oct 2019, 5:51 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by "cathartic experiences"?

A "catharsis" means an "outpouring of emotion", getting a lot of stuff out of your system.

To purify oneself.

It can come through art or literature (either consuming it, or by producing it).

Or it used to mean an emotional breakthrough in psychotherapy that cures a neurosis.


I'm referring to the more common, everyday subtle cathartic experiences. As I mentioned, art and literature have personally proven helpful. One example, to reassess strengths in order to reassess weaknesses.


I think that you are misusing the word "cathartic". Cathartic experiences do not happen "every day". Going through a catharsis is like having an excorcism. Leaves you sweaty and exhausted (but purified and renewed).

I think you mean something milder. Like "moments of insight". Or "epiphanies".



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: California

22 Oct 2019, 10:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by "cathartic experiences"?

A "catharsis" means an "outpouring of emotion", getting a lot of stuff out of your system.

To purify oneself.

It can come through art or literature (either consuming it, or by producing it).

Or it used to mean an emotional breakthrough in psychotherapy that cures a neurosis.


I'm referring to the more common, everyday subtle cathartic experiences. As I mentioned, art and literature have personally proven helpful. One example, to reassess strengths in order to reassess weaknesses.


I think that you are misusing the word "cathartic". Cathartic experiences do not happen "every day". Going through a catharsis is like having an excorcism. Leaves you sweaty and exhausted (but purified and renewed).

I think you mean something milder. Like "moments of insight". Or "epiphanies".


Not to split semantic hairs, I'm referring moments of insight, epiphanies of sorts.

RELATED: Those in the performing-arts e.g., theater apply Improv exercises as "ice breakers of sorts" e.g., catharsis/cathartic feelings are a part of Improv. Such exercises are transferrable outside of the performing-arts communities.

Actor Alan Alda wrote an book discussing experiences with improv in theater. Book: If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?: My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08129 ... bl_vppi_i1