Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mrpostman_7901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2019, 2:11 pm

I'm 18, have mild Autism, and attend community college full-time. I have two friends outside of school, but they're unrelatable on a personal level, so we mostly hang out once in a blue moon and typically enjoy it. However, I feel disconnected from my peers, since my intense fixation on investing, economics, and wealth accumulation may be considered bizarre by many people. On the other hand, I also want to avoid the majority of people age 18-20, since they engage in frivolous activities like vaping, consuming alcohol, and partying excessively. I feel that my values, namely personal responsibility, economic liberalism, and rugged individualism clash with my peers, who believe that capitalism has made the world worse off and often as, if not more concerned about societal problems rather than their own. I tend to gravitate towards classical music or classic rock, read several articles and watch many videos pertaining to my interests, and every day, I see my peers as unenlightened, foolish, and in need of my help if they want to "save themselves". How can I possibly find friends who have similar values to me, in a world where people are questioning capitalism and accumulated wealth more and more?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 3:11 pm

Or maybe you could do some volunteer work and develop some compassion for people in less fortunate circumstances.

Randomosity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

Intensely fixating on anything isn't the best idea and I second the volunteering suggestion.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 7:18 pm

Wow think i missed the boat , as instead of volunteering was trying to survive back then . Without any credit rating too young.
But admires volunteering , if my health, had any predictability . Might have done that , stupid peer pressure . Drew me in ..and they all wanted me to be at that level.. My physical health did not want me to be there. And i knew that would certainly not support me as i aged . Not realizing that these people also needed me to be in that boat with them . To make them feel ok about the way they wished to live. Part of the herd . When opportunity appeared , i tried to help people best i could , even went into nursing for a time . But in college had few to no friends .But learned ,inbetween schooling & going to real estate seminars and stock market classes ,money in the world is made by investments. Btw those classes were free introductory , They gave me a direction to look into. Did borrow 1700 dollar once from dad.

You may work for someone else to make money for them or you may work for yourself .
Had early successful experiments in investing . Small scale part time . Hopefully if your observant perhaps a opportunity may present . Research research research . You maynot have great social abilities ? But you have a brain . That will be with you till end of time. Trade school , might be good investment in time , if you can. Have a fallback job , you can do? Hairdresser, mechanic,whatever. Jobs that might be in demand or always needed.
And none of apparent core values of my peers were mine , nor my path.
Not everyone is the same, even in Aspiedom. Circumstances forced me to focus on health things,
Many Aspies have health issues , researching became my hobby. Lol a healthy distraction.
For kicks , look up Nootropics . You go...!

where ever you go ,there you are

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 6:54 am

1. I don't care for heavy drinkers either and they only care about people who drink and they are completely fake.
2. As for meeting people, maybe join a meetup for people who are die-hard economics fans like yourself but try more than one where drinking isn't a top priority
3. I like the idea of volunteering somewhere with build-up soft skills while finding a position because your expertise in economics will pay off.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 5:27 pm

Relating to peers is difficult when you're not where you're expected to be in life ... I can't have a conversation with anyone my own age

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 9:11 pm

green0star wrote:
Relating to peers is difficult when you're not where you're expected to be in life ... I can't have a conversation with anyone my own age

Psst btw . Most likely in your age group and aspiedom. YOU DONT HAVEpeers

Quite trying ... its hard to soar with eagles , when you wanna hang out with the turkeys.
Besides most aspies are good at masking to some degree , if you really must.
Just dont make it your life . Obviously , you have bigger things going in the that overly dense wired cerrebellum of yours .
Not all subjects are for all people .
Kenny G song lyric " you got to know when to fold em , know when to walk away , know when to run....... etc. Was at a coffee shop , on their computer some older guy asked me if i was shopping on amazon ,(never seen this guy before). Said no was checking outmarket value . Amazon was up on my screen And off went the convo.
Limited discussion on portfolios . Now, we talk market when we see each other, no more no less . :D

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2019, 8:20 am

mrpostman_7901 wrote:
I'm 18, have mild Autism, and attend community college full-time. I have two friends outside of school, but they're unrelatable on a personal level, so we mostly hang out once in a blue moon and typically enjoy it. However, I feel disconnected from my peers, since my intense fixation on investing, economics, and wealth accumulation may be considered bizarre by many people. On the other hand, I also want to avoid the majority of people age 18-20, since they engage in frivolous activities like vaping, consuming alcohol, and partying excessively. I feel that my values, namely personal responsibility, economic liberalism, and rugged individualism clash with my peers, who believe that capitalism has made the world worse off and often as, if not more concerned about societal problems rather than their own. I tend to gravitate towards classical music or classic rock, read several articles and watch many videos pertaining to my interests, and every day, I see my peers as unenlightened, foolish, and in need of my help if they want to "save themselves". How can I possibly find friends who have similar values to me, in a world where people are questioning capitalism and accumulated wealth more and more?

How do you know you have mild austism? Despite what some people claim and the nonsense in DSM-V, Aspergers and Autism are not the same and Asperger's is NOT a mild form of Autism.

If you cannot relate to your "peers" then maybe they are not your peers. You need to be hopeless and know that in college, or at least away from high school, you WILL be able to find people who have your values and beliefs ("ersonal responsibility, economic liberalism, and rugged individualism clash with my peers, who believe that capitalism has made the world worse off and often as, if not more concerned about societal problems rather than their own. I tend to gravitate towards classical music or classic rock")

A more interesting question for you to contemplate would be, how can you find friends who share your ideas and beliefs?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 11:02 am

FletcherArrow wrote:
Despite what some people claim and the nonsense in DSM-V, Aspergers and Autism are not the same and Asperger's is NOT a mild form of Autism.

To avoid further derailing this thread, I've replied here in the separate thread "Autism" definition wars thread.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 12:24 pm

mrpostman_7901 wrote:
I'm 18, have mild Autism, and attend community college full-time. I have two friends outside of school, but they're unrelatable on a personal level, so we mostly hang out once in a blue moon and typically enjoy it. However, I feel disconnected from my peers, since my intense fixation on investing, economics, and wealth accumulation may be considered bizarre by many people.

Hopefully that "fixation" can eventually lead to a good job as a financial analyst or something.

mrpostman_7901 wrote:
On the other hand, I also want to avoid the majority of people age 18-20, since they engage in frivolous activities like vaping, consuming alcohol, and partying excessively.

Good idea to avoid those activities, in my opinion. You might prefer to attend the New York Finance, Trading & Banking Meetup instead -- although you are likely to have difficulty socializing there, due to the combination of your age, your lack of professional experience so far, and your "mild autism."

Hopefully eventually there will be groups in the NYC metro area for autistic people who either work in or want to work in specific professional / occupational categories. One of the many such possible groups would be a group of accountants, financial analysts, etc. (and people who want to work in those fields). (See Autistic Workers Project.)

I can't respond to your political/economic views without breaking the rules of Wrong Planet. (All political discussion is supposed to be confined to the "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion" sub-forum.) I'll just say I'm middle-of-the-road.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 3:01 pm

mona pereth have read your wordpress blog con: NYC ,, Enjoyed what I read thank you. allowed me different insights on your writing to W.P. Your Experiences were good reading for me.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

Jakki wrote:
Kenny G song lyric " you got to know when to fold em , know when to walk away , know when to run....... etc.

That was Kenny Rogers. Kenny G is a jazz saxophonist.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:33 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Kenny G song lyric " you got to know when to fold em , know when to walk away , know when to run....... etc.

That was Kenny Rogers. Kenny G is a jazz saxophonist.

TY

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2020, 2:43 pm

Sounds like you are more mature then your peers and that is not a bad thing. I went through the same thing when I was your age my peers were into snojing, alcohol, and underaged girls.i just hanged around people on my maturity level focused on schooling at the time.

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny