Why do people love sticking their gum in stupid places?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 3:44 am

I was queuing up for a ride at a theme park the other week and before the entrance I saw loads of gum stuck to the wall - right next to a perfectly accessible bin that's specifically for gum and other waste you don't want to take on to the ride. The gum on the wall looked unsightly, gross, unhygienic and is a job to get off. Why do people do it?

Also I spend hours scraping off gum on the buses at work even if I use chemicals for getting gum off it still can be difficult. I don't know why people don't just keep it in their mouths or put it in a bin. There are plenty of bins provided.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 6:09 am

I agree, I don't get it either. And if you can't find a bin, you just keep the wrapper and stick it in there until you find one. No one wants to see chewed gum everywhere, or find it by sticking their hand underneath a table or seat.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:02 am

It's absolutely disgusting.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:16 am

Totally agree. I just wrap it up in a bit of paper or tissue. I've always got some junk in my pockets to wrap it up in.

There's no need

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Oct 2019, 9:22 am

I worked custodial type jobs in retail & I had to scrape gum up fairly often. Maybe people do that cuz they're expecting others to lick it off like the way a wall of gum has become a trend & people lick it to be daredevils :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 11:01 am

A couple of times I accidentally spit out my gum onto the floor while grocery shopping because I made that sputtering sound while sighing deeply. :oops: But other than that I always put my used gum in a trash can can or wait until I get home.

The sidewalk in front of stores are always covered in grey spots, and It wasn't until I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs on Discovery that I realized those spots are actually gum that the geniuses have spat out when when entering and leaving the store. They get flattened and turn grey from all the people walking over them and collecting dirt. Disgusting.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 11:54 am

You can't help it if it's an accident but the gum I see that's stuck on walls or underneath tables is intentional.

When I was a child I used to think all the gum patches on the ground was bird poop. It wasn't until my cousin said, "there's lots of gum on the ground around here" was when I learned that it was gum. Yuk.

I know birds poop is gross too but birds don't know any better. Humans should know better, even teenagers.

RoyFollman
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2019, 1:15 pm

Lack of education, i guess

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 1:24 pm

Because IMO, such people are just lazy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 3:55 pm

I don't understand why folks chew gum in the first place.

And when they are done with chewing it ( I suppose that's when it's flavor is used up) why do they need to dispose of it all?

Why cant they just friggin SWALLOW it? It wont kill ya. Your stomach will be happy to digest it.

And if your some kind of dumbass cretin who cant swallow it...then there is that final question of: why cant you dispose of it into a proper garbage receptacle?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

I used to get up early to clean three cinemas, one bit if gum in the carpet would really mess up the whole shift.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I don't understand why folks chew gum in the first place.

And when they are done with chewing it ( I suppose that's when it's flavor is used up) why do they need to dispose of it all?

Why cant they just friggin SWALLOW it? It wont kill ya. Your stomach will be happy to digest it.

And if your some kind of dumbass cretin who cant swallow it...then there is that final question of: why cant you dispose of it into a proper garbage receptacle?

Gum can help to freshen your breath and moisten a dry mouth. It can also help a person feel calmer if they are nervous or upset. And it's a lot safer and better tasting than smoking or chewing tobacco.

If you swallow gum, your body won't actually digest it because it's basically latex or rubber, but it will just pass through your body. There's a myth that it will stay in your stomach for seven years, and maybe a lot of people believe it, which is why they spit their gum out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2019, 5:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
You can't help it if it's an accident but the gum I see that's stuck on walls or underneath tables is intentional.
Chewing gum isn't allowed in class(not at any of the skewls I went to anyways) so people stick it under their desk or tables when they're done with it so they can discreetly get rid of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:37 am

Food/drinks/gum carried double detention in my school district. They prioritized their racist zero tolerance policies over their racist education standards.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 12:26 am

I hate chewing gum two chews and the taste goes.
Also I remember when I was a kid and I stepped on someone's gum at the beach My sister had to help me get it off in the water. :evil:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 5:51 am

I like menthol gum when my sinuses are blocked. It's mostly the only time I chew gum.

If I'm somewhere out and about and I want my teeth to feel cleaner, I'll buy gum.

I have a confession... I kind of enjoy cleaning up gum. I love that stuff you spray on it and it freezes. It's cool. My cleaning jobs weren't too time intensive, so I had time to clean up the gum. I cleaned shops before opening time.

What I hated was cleaning up black scuff marks off laminate floors. Ugh. Had a brillo pad to do that. Dunno why a shop like Primark can't splash out for a buffer machine.