Mental Health in the younger generation

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:04 am

About half of millennials and 75 percent of Gen Zers have quit their jobs for mental health reasons, according to a new study conducted by Mind Shares Partners, SAP and Quatrics. It was published in Harvard Business Review.

This was attributed to:
* a rise in depression
* higher living cost
* burnout

It should come as no surprise that younger generations are paving the way for the de-stigmatization of mental health. A Wall Street Journal article published in March labeled millennials the “therapy generation,” as todays 20- and 30-somethings are more likely to turn to therapy, and with fewer reservations, than young people in previous eras did.

Source: Young people are quitting their jobs in droves. Here's why

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:15 am

I'm not surprised by the rise in mental illness for the younger generation considering the shape of the economy. Lots of people are needing to work harder & longer hours for less money(factoring inflation) than older generations. The older generation tends to be more established with their careers than the younger generation. The younger generation is also more worried about school shootings since they tend to be going to school more than the older generation. What surprises me is that the younger generation can afford to get therapy. Here in the US we don't have universal health care & lots of insurances don't cover mental health or cover barely anything. How can people afford something as expensive as therapy if they quit their jobs :scratch:

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:20 am

It comes as no surprise when you consider the fact that half of all Millennials and Gen Z-ers have less-than-average intelligence. I would bet the all masticate in public, too.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:24 am

Fnord wrote:
It comes as no surprise when you consider the fact that half of all Millennials and Gen Z-ers have less-than-average intelligence. I would bet the all masticate in public, too.

Just like half of baby boomers.

But I don't see the connection between lower-than-average intelligence and quitting job due to mental health problems.

Looking at my family - mental health problems have been there since the memory goes but my generation feels much less ashamed of it and much less urge to hide or deny it. People are more willing to go to a psychiatrist before they attempt suicide.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 9:34 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Just like half of baby boomers...
And every other generation, as well.
magz wrote:
But I don't see the connection between lower-than-average intelligence and quitting job due to mental health problems.
There is just as much of a connection between intelligence and quitting as there is between being of a certain generation and quitting -- that is to say, "None".

People quit their jobs. Younger people do so more often than older people. That's life.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 10:17 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Just like half of baby boomers...
And every other generation, as well.
Precisely.
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
There is just as much of a connection between intelligence and quitting as there is between being of a certain generation and quitting -- that is to say, "None".

People quit their jobs. Younger people do so more often than older people. That's life.

Is it another example of this?
https://xkcd.com/2080/

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 10:33 am

Fnord wrote:

Does retiring count as quitting your job?

My company used to have a retirement plan but gave me a lump sum just after the 2008 stock market correction for me to invest. It has done very well. :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 10:44 am

Mental health is an issue with all generations, but baby boomers are from an era where mental illness was commonly seen as something to be deeply ashamed of.

Baby Boomers: My grand daughter has just started going to (looks around and then whispers) T-H-E-R-A-P-Y. :oops:

Millenials: HEY MAN GUESS WHAT HAPPENED IN THERAPY TODAY LOLOLOL!! :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 11:08 am

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, so...

"Hello, my name is Fnord, and I have
Asperger's Syndrome".
:oops:
"Hello, Fnord! We have it, too".
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

RoyFollman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2019, 1:16 pm

I am a part of that generation and ,yeah, this is the reality

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 6:03 pm

There is much much less stigma than when I grew up in the 60s and 70s. When I grew up it was considered unmanly to look into oneself, and being mentally ill meant you were considered lazy, excuse making, weak and generally a failure as a person.

Then was too extreme in one direction, now I think it has gone too far in the other direction. The younger generations grew up with technology that offers instant solutions leaving many in those generations unable to handle adverse situations that are not instantly solvable. Then there is the whole everybody wins a trophy, trigger warnings, safe spaces yada yada yada that they are growing up with that we did not.

Besides becoming weaker and less stigma surrounding mental illness I do believe very important factors are the constant expectations and encouragement from technology to be multitasking every moment they are not sleeping. More is expected but there is no reason to believe they have any more capacity than we did.

I can not envision these songs popular from the 60s touting relaxing, being lazy, and just "chilling out" having much relevancy today.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

lvpin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2019, 8:49 pm

As a Gen Z I think another part of it could be that with access to the internet, we have access to EVERYTHING. That can be good or bad and while we are made fun of (just like every generation that was young at some point) a lot of us are quite knowledgeable as to what is going on in the world. It's honestly overwhelming to know the problems in your area/country and hundreds of others that are going on else where, all accompanied by vivid videos which makes you feel close to ALL of it. To make things more annoying, we didn't cause it and yet have to deal with the consequences or are powerless to help.

Times are different now and things are way more expensive, governments are extremely corrupt in some places and there are many other issues we are dealing with, many are new. Even our health is getting worse.

Plus, we aren't as ashamed of having these issues as people were in the past so the therapy trend makes sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:58 am

I don’t think people are more correct.

What you have to deal with that we did not is mass shootings. We had more crime but usually it was not random which is more anxiety provoking. Instead of Gen Z your generation should be called Generation Lockdown.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

lvpin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Yesterday, 4:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I don’t think people are more correct.

What you have to deal with that we did not is mass shootings. We had more crime but usually it was not random which is more anxiety provoking. Instead of Gen Z your generation should be called Generation Lockdown.

Fortunately, as a Londoner, I don't have to worry too much about mass shootings. The increase in stabbings are what we fear but I don't think that is seen as "as bad" (quotation marks used because all loss of life is bad and I don't want it to seem like it is a competition of some sort).