Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 2:45 am

How do you politely tell someone to stop, or decline an offer before they become a nuisance? For example, phrases such as these, dropped at the right time, with a smile and a shake of the head, convey your meaning without seeming awkward or rude.

"Sorry, I don't lend my Jeep out!"

"No, that doesn't really work for me, sorry!"

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 2:49 am

I think what you've suggested sounds reasonable.

Never be afraid to say no when people cross the line.

That would be like someone asking to borrow my guitar. I would say no I don't lend it out, sorry. If they didn't understand that they'd be the rude one.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 5:18 am

I'm not sure how to say no without seeming rude, but if you're asked to do something really unreasonable then there's nothing wrong with a blunt "no way."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 9:23 am

I don't usually have a hard time saying no, and don't really care if someone else thinks I'm rude, especially if that person is pressuring me into doing something I have no interest in.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 10:51 am

Fireblossom wrote:
I'm not sure how to say no without seeming rude

I've had a hard time learning to say no at the appropriate time and ended up contorting. around other people's unreasonable demands. I building up a little arsenal of phrases to use, things like

"Right, I really need to crack on with what I was doing now so, see you later, yeah?"

I know it's scripted but that's what some of us need.