Do You Sometimes Mix Up Well Known Phrazes?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 4:39 am

Here is one I used to find so odd. It is often found written on orange squash bottles. (I can no longer have these as everything now has artificial sweetners in it, even Ribena).
But anyway. On these squash bottles is often written "Dilute to taste". Ok, if one wants to taste it, but what if one wants a whole glass to drink?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:11 am

My dear one, you are the stye of my eye .

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:37 am

i grew up with a southern-accented parent who would say "i'm a'doah haul off and whup y'ass" often enough.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 12:20 pm

Oooppzzzz.. mis-wrote that last one ..... you are the wart on the stye of my eye? My dear......

Cute Aunt blabbie.. uhm... nice parent ?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:16 pm

Jakki wrote:

If you can have a "sty" in your eye, then that must mean that you can have pigs in your eye.

And do the pigs eat the "apple" of your eye?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:38 pm

No, I just say some words wrong like I pronounce it wrong or sometimes can mix up similar sounding words that don't mean the same thing.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 10:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:

If you can have a "sty" in your eye, then that must mean that you can have pigs in your eye.

Think i am blind ....maybe just outta apples?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 2:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I used to say a style in your eye which seems a bit more serious.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 3:25 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I used to say a style in your eye which seems a bit more serious.

A style in your eye?

That would sound like you were gazing at a sports car, or at a clothing ensemble that you longed to buy. :lol:

On the other hand a stylus in your eye would hurt!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 3:28 pm

I used to think of style as a thing you have to get over on a footpath. I used to puzzle why or how one could get one in ones eye!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:26 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I used to think of style as a thing you have to get over on a footpath. I used to puzzle why or how one could get one in ones eye!

Why did you think THAT?

The word "style" is associated with women's fashions, and like that. Not with footpaths.

Though now that I think about it there is such a thing as a "turnstile". One of those metal things that only one person can walk through at a time. A turnstile is a type of "obstacle" to foot traffic. But it's spelled differently.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Why did you think THAT?

The word "style" is associated with women's fashions, and like that. Not with footpaths.

Though now that I think about it there is such a thing as a "turnstile". One of those metal things that only one person can walk through at a time. A turnstile is a type of "obstacle" to foot traffic. But it's spelled differently.

A turn style is different from a style. A style has a step so one can step over the fence or gate if that makes sense. Some have more then one step. A turnstyle is different. It is either a littlw moving gate or something like that. I think in USA the names for things are very different to those used in the UK.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 11:35 am

Yeah our conversations on this thread keep running aground on the shoals of differing vocabularies on the opposite sides of the Atlantic.

There are tons of other examples differing words for things. We drive "trucks", but Brits drive "lorries", potato chips/crisps, and so on.

Even the grammar of the two nations is starting to diverge.

Sport casters in the UK will exclaim "the crowd ARE going wild!", and newscasters will say "the government ARE doing such and such". Sounds really weird to American ears because we would say "the crowd IS going crazy!", and "the government IS doing such and such". Even though the crowd and the government are both a big mass of a lot of people, they are thought of as one single entity in the US if you are talking about them using the singular version of the nouns "government" and "crowd". So we speak of them in the singular in that situation. But Brits use the plural.

Go figure.

Actually...I am not sure that the word "style" for that structure you're talking about (stairs over a fence) doesn't exist in American English as well. Not sure because that thing has never come in conversation in my life for some odd reason. So I don't know what an American would call the thing. Lol!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah our conversations on this thread keep running aground on the shoals of differing vocabularies on the opposite sides of the Atlantic.

There are tons of other examples differing words for things. We drive "trucks", but Brits drive "lorries", potato chips/crisps, and so on.

Sport casters in the UK will exclaim "the crowd ARE going wild!", and newscasters will say "the government ARE doing such and such". Sounds really weird to American ears because we would say "the crowd IS going crazy!", and "the government IS doing such and such". Even though the crowd and the government are both a big mass of a lot of people, they are thought of as one single entity in the US if you are talking about them using the singular version of the nouns "government" and "crowd". So we speak of them in the singular in that situation. But Brits use the plural.

Go figure.

Actually...I am not sure that the word "style" for that structure you're talking about (stairs over a fence) doesn't exist in American English as well. Not sure because that thing has never come in conversation in my life for some odd reason. So I don't know what an American would call the thing. Lol!

Us Yanks speakum good English , uhm englische, americaneze.
Just mumbling apropriate sounding noises .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:15 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Why did you think THAT?

A turn style is different from a style. A style has a step so one can step over the fence or gate if that makes sense. Some have more then one step. A turnstyle is different. It is either a littlw moving gate or something like that. I think in USA the names for things are very different to those used in the UK.

2 countries , whose origins are are almost identical , seperated by a common language?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Go figure.

There's two puzzling terms here in the uk. "Go figure". Does that mean "Think about it"? And another term I hear on this site. "My bad". Does that mean the person is ill (As in classed as unwell)? To us in the UK it is a little confusing.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 18 Oct 2019, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.