Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 2:54 pm

Despite being in my second year of University, I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do after my studies. I'm aware that a considerable amount of people don't get into their chosen area, with that said...I'm not sure what my aim is. This concerns me a little since I don't know which direction I want to take my personal projects (and eventually my portfolio) in.

Topics I enjoy

Graphic design

Sound & video editing

Pre-production planning for websites and apps (designing the overall look)

Coming up with marketing campaigns and strategies.

Parts I like, but find difficult

Coding. Whilst the idea of animating & coding a simple children's game appeals to me, the more I get into learning JavaScript I start becoming lost. I can write very basic code.

I'd like to expand into...

Animation.

However, I've started to hate...

Photography. I just can't get myself interested in it. No offense to the photographers out there, I don't have much of an eye for photos it seems.

Digital 3D Modelling. Whilst I can make a decent snooker table, that's about it. I can't design entire environments with more than one object. Trying to get the perspective and lighting correct is infuriating.

My general skills

- Thinking on my feet.

-Visualising and brainstorming concepts.

-Script writing.

- I have an eye for detail (if it's in something I care about). Which is why I can easily spend five days editing a video fiddling with timings, because it's satisfying when everything lines up. That's the ideal anyway.

- A keen ear and heightened senses in general mean that I can usually notice if something is off. This ties into the prior skill.

- I can work in (and sometimes lead) a team or individually.

Any advice or suggestions? I think I might also talk to the career advice team at my university. Considering going into freelancing or working for a design company.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 3:16 pm

Not sure. Politician? Prime minister?

Anything is possible.

So many different jobs. Yes, certain areas of the UK have job shortages. (Ususally the holiday areas as they lack any industry or businesses other then seasonal positions and manynof those are taken by those in universitites over the summer).

Uhmmm. Well, what are you like with people? I was able to mask and used to be ok at dealing with people. At the moment I can't do it as I find it too much foe me. But I used to do it and looking backI don't know how, but I was in charge of trains of sometimes around 1000 people! (Usually about 2-300 peope a time on crowded trains. Depends on length). Somehow I did it.

But it did take its toll and I eventually left.

Retail? Many, many different retail jobs out there and one job is totally different to the next. Some are very labour intensive like the bicycle industry. Others are more cosmetic... Many different types of work. Generally, even in the higher positions the pay is low. When I went to work on the railway I was earning more money doing less hours then the manager of the store I used to work with. (I was head of the bicycle department on £3.65 an hour in 1996 to 1998, and I worked about 38 to 50+ hours a week but were only paid for 33 due to the contract I was on (The work had to be done). On the railway it averaged at 35 hour a week on a pay above my manager who was on a considerably higher wage then I was in the store.

But leaving aside wages... Retail can be good if you don't mind dealing with people and find the right subject that is ideal for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:45 pm

It sounds like you should be in "media," mostly. Maybe in the movies or television? Behind the scenes?
Or advertising.

I don't know too much about how people work within "websites," to be honest.