One Christmas Eve... ⊙°•●⊙°•●⊙°•●▪

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 4:10 pm

It was Christmas eve when my Dad was still alive and we had a large extended family (Before they died or deserted us. Most died).
My Mum had stocked up on food. I was excited and I couldn't sleep. It was somewhere around midnight. Everyone was in bed.
I was hungry so I sneaked downstairs for a snack. I oened the cupboard. My Mum had been shopping in Liddls which was a new shop and mostly sold foreign made food which didn't always display english writing on the packet. Ooh. An item caught my eye. A large delicious looking chocolate biscuit.
I opened it up and took a few bites.
Munch, munch... Several munches later... Tastes a bit bland... They must have different tastes. What make is it?
*Looks at packet*
"Good Boy". Haha. Sometjing is lost in translation! I ate the rest and went to bed. It may not taste of anything much but at least it satisfied my stomache.
I finally went to sleep.
====================

I woke up. Most of the family were already awake. The were a few nice piles of Christmas presents in the living room. Mum was in the kitchen looking through the food cupboards sorting things out, getting ready for the family gathering... I went back in the living room to join my Dad and brother (My other brother with all his children were to arrive later). and started to look at my pile of presents when my Mum calls feom the kitchen and says "Has anyone seen the dogs Christmas present?"
"No? What is it" I replied.
"A chocolate biscuit for dogs"...
Oh!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 5:25 pm

This is a true story. I'm not taking the biscuit.... Uhmmm. Well. Maybe I did at the time but in a different sense of the word.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 5:32 pm

That really did take the biscuit. Did your dog get your train as compensation?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 5:40 pm

Nope. But she did get first helpings of the Christmas leftovers before the chickens saw them.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 1:00 am

Nice! I knew a dairy farmer who used to eat cow feed pellets like biscuits.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 1:45 am

domineekee wrote:

We used to eat the goat food as kids. What we didn't know is that some of the feed were these little lumps made out of dried blood (Which should never have been there as goats are not supposed to eat meat or similar products as it can kill them) and these wierd tasting pieces were said tonhave caused BSE (Mad cows disease) in cattle.

Dog biscuits were ok but our dog preferred me not to eat her biscuits. Shapes were ok except for the black ones which tasted like they were made from coal.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 2:35 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
domineekee wrote:

We used to eat the goat food as kids. What we didn't know is that some of the feed were these little lumps made out of dried blood (Which should never have been there as goats are not supposed to eat meat or similar products as it can kill them) and these wierd tasting pieces were said tonhave caused BSE (Mad cows disease) in cattle.

Dog biscuits were ok but our dog preferred me not to eat her biscuits. Shapes were ok except for the black ones which tasted like they were made from coal.

I never asked him if he stopped eating the pellets when BSE happened bu it did occur to me that it could present a danger. Goats are lovely creatures, really nice to see them in a big herd, some of them playful, some of them me mischievous.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 2:43 am

Yes. Used to keep goats. Not an easy animal to keep, but full of character! I grew up with goats. The people producing the feedstuffs were banned from adding these pieces. Is not surprizing really. Cattle are not supposed to eat meat or meat related products anyway as their stomaches are different. Apart from that, drying blood from slaughtered animals and re-introducing it into the food chain is a sure way to spread diseases. Is why, as a general rule my Mum kept away from those food products made from blood. One can get away with eating meat from a diseased animal if the meat is cooked properly, but not so much if the disease is in the blood and then one eats the dried blood product. (Which are sold in shops as a food product).

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 12 Oct 2019, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 2:48 am

MG... repeat after me...

Humans eat human biscuits
Dogs eat dog biscuits.

Great story, though...

Where I'm sitting now I can see a hill where three goats live. Can't see them much over the summer because of the leaves on the trees, but this time of year they come into view again. It's goat season!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:00 am

In Galloway (Scotland) there are wild goats in the hills. Once I was walking tjrough a gorge, they appeared on the surrounding cliff tops and watched, just like native American warriors in those old cowboy movies, it was almost spooky!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:23 am

domineekee wrote:
In Galloway (Scotland) there are wild goats in the hills. Once I was walking tjrough a gorge, they appeared on the surrounding cliff tops and watched, just like native American warriors in those old cowboy movies, it was almost spooky!

Typical goat. Haha! They love to get to the top of somewhere and look down on people... At the time we kept goats we were lucky as my Dads cars were 3 wheelers as he only had a motorbike licence. They had fibreglass bodies, so if a goat jumped on it, other then the odd crack in the paint it would not damage. If we had had metal cars, they would have been full of dents.

I have to laugh. When we moved up here the previous owners cat kept returning, and it was agreed that rather then the cat constantly coming back up here, that we would adopt him and look after him. Well, he used to go out the top bedroom window, and jump onto the porch, and then jump onto the bonnet (Hood?) car and to the ground. One day, when my Dad eventually took his car driving test (I had gone for lessons and he didn't want me to pass before he did!) and he passed, he decided to get himself a 4 wheeled car. A Renault 5. It was hillarious. The cat... Oh this was so funny! The 3 wheelers bonnets being fibreglass would maks a slight noise as he jumped onto them. The first time he jumped down onto this metal Renault 5... BANG! It was a loud bang too. I looked outside to see a rather dazed and confused cat! The look on the cats face! Haha!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 10:09 am

This story was posted on WP before, except I don't remember it saying the event happened at Christmas.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 10:11 am

Oh. It may have been me who put it on before?