Don’t Call Greta Thunberg “Superhuman”

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:16 pm

We don’t need pernicious code words about autism to praise a remarkable 16-year-old girl.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/1 ... ebunk.html

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:20 pm

People think sub-human when they hear "autism".

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:21 pm

To dumb people though that's probably how she looks.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm

Yeah she's not a superhuman. She was in my city today I wasn't able to go to the rally but I watched it on youtube and yeah shes just human. If anything I kind of think it would be disrespectful to idolize her and I doubt she wants it.

She also seems nervous being in front of so many people, which having autism myself I can sympathize with that.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 11 Oct 2019, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimInMaine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm

What she is mostly is a kid being exploited for a cause

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 8:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah she's not a superhuman. She was in my city today I wasn't able to go to the rally but I watched it on youtube and yeah shes just human. If anything I kind of think it would be disrespectful to idolize her and I doubt she wants it.

She also seems nervous being in front of so many people, which having autism myself I can sympathize with that.

Actually calling anyone anything unusual and overreacting is a way to dismiss em. You can do that on a whole range from calling them a moron to calling them the sort of saint that you could never imagine being. People like staying the same, avoid getting smarter, and anything that disturbs their complacency generally gets either shot down or damned with faint or bizarre praise.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 11:03 am

She’s a climate change alarmist who I wish would obtain academic qualifications.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 1:37 pm

Anyone who's a bit different based on certain identifications one has who happened to have a huge microphone on might've.

In that case, there's young, there's female, then there's verbal autistic, who just so happens to push issues on climate change for which ever reason.

As a, erm, a 'resident' of some vulnerable country, many would appreciate the concern... Provoking panic is a way to catch attention or urgency. :lol: Just as the president here chose cussing and death threats.

From where I live, we focus adapting and many cannot afford panic.
Panic is easy to pass by here, because some of the most affected are too focused somewhere else, some don't have a time to grieve even let alone have those existential urgency to be loud, some almost can't watch the news regularly, some prefers distractions.

But it cannot be said to other's that aren't accustomed nor as affected.

Yet as an autistic with enough access to the numbers and data that says 'my current location is one of the most affected places' -- should I panic about this? One of those places happened to be my 'home' along with many of my relatives and friends, with first hand experiences.
I don't, yet some foreigner do. :lol: I'm not numb nor simply dismiss things around me as normal, nor simply gone fatalistic.

Nope, I'm too busy keeping other people sane by making them worry less, and line them up with examples and subtle prompts not to throw the damn trash on the canals. I'd rather whisper in one's ears and say those tiny little things of everyday doings and tell them to pass the message around as NTs tend would do and would enforce to do so.
I'd rather want my mom to be strong, because she's a local enforcer that so happened to be the president's most relied on unit -- I'd rather have her less stressed out and sane. Sane enough to tell the chief, sane enough to tell the mayor, sane enough to tell the rest of the government, sane enough to tell the citizens and those citizens spreads the word.

No need a louder microphone, a well streamed visual, big names audience and provoking statements here.

Yet even the chief executive here isn't heard enough for some reason. :lol:
So why not a bigger microphone with differentiating tones in the same content and concerns, and yet with a different face for a speaker that just so happened to be a young, foreign, female and autistic? :lol:

Humans are fuuuuunnnyyyy~~~¡¡¡! :mrgreen:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 1:47 pm

Most of the criticism of her has been of a sexist nature, and of her being a “millennial”, rather than of her being on the spectrum.

But as far as climate change goes, I do wonder if it is technology possible to reverse climate change, a redo of sorts.

But still, I would rather her be a face of autism, than some disgruntled incel.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 2:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
But as far as climate change goes, I do wonder if it is technology possible to reverse climate change, a redo of sorts.

No.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm

TimInMaine wrote:
What she is mostly is a kid being exploited for a cause

That is my view.

The problem with catastrophism/alarmism is that it makes people cynical.
The garden variety catastrophist/alarmist embraces the principle that gross exaggeration is required to overcome human psychological inertia.
I believe Al Gore has admitted this and, from memory, so has Zion Lights from Extinction Rebellion.
The ridiculous claims by Extinction Rebellion have been put under the spot "Lights" in the Andrew Neil's youtube interview here: https://youtu.be/H3kJwQBZOkM

Personally speaking, I believe it would be beneficial to societies interested in individualism, rather than collectivism, to have mandatory "Critical Thinking Re-education Programs" by order of Chairman Pepe :mrgreen: to stop the mindless embracing of fear-induced groupthink through the exploitation of human psychological weaknesses.

<Charlton Heston mode activated>

GOD DAMN YOU!
GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

https://youtu.be/CsbYx6hevoQ

P.S.
Yes, I am aware of the irony of using this youtube podcast. :mrgreen: