Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GonHunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2019, 1:39 pm

Do you have any fear or phobia that other people don't? I'm afraid of cell phone ringing and alarms.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:06 pm

I get startled, sometimes very badly, by such noises, but I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, per se. When the fire alarm at school would go off, I'd be startled so badly I was shaking for half an hour afterward, but I was never really frightened at the possibility that it might go off or anything.

My unusual phobia is parasites, mostly internal ones. I don't get too bothered by mosquitoes or if I find a tick on me (but I am afraid of fleas because I know they can transmit tapeworms), but even the thought of things like parasitic worms makes me shudder. This phobia is partly why I'm so paranoid about food safety (though I also have a fear of non-parasitic foodborne illness), and one of the reasons I decided not to become a veterinarian (probably fairly regular contact with parasites).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:21 pm

I have many.

My most "unusual" phobias are: doorbells, butter knives, the colour orange, and putting my hands in water.

My most profound is, and will always be, worms.

harry12345
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2019, 3:42 pm

Stories/Pictures of "Spontaneous Human Combustion" in those Mystery and Unexplained books always used to freak me out as a kid. Still gives me the heeby-jeebies a bit now.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 4:31 pm

Aichmophobia, which is a fear of sharp objects particularly knives and scissors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichmophobia

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 4:32 pm

I have a few phobias but they're not really unusual.

I used to have a phobia of snow and I hated seeing the ground covered. It would throw me into a panic and I wouldn't leave the house until it started to thaw. Then when I got my first job things turned difficult because "phobia of snow" is not really a valid excuse to employers when you only live a 15-minute walk away from work. But luckily I survived through the first winter of having to walk through the snow, then after that we didn't get any snow for a few winters so that was rather pleasant for me. I still dislike snow but my phobia hasn't been so bad since I moved to a larger city where most pavements are salted during the winter months and I have invested in some ice-gripper pads that go on the bottom of my shoes. The reason I developed a phobia of the snow was because I slipped over on the ice once in the street when I was 19 and hurt my knee, and everyone just laughed at me and I felt so embarrassed and also distraught.

Also I have a phobia of electric bells. I've had this phobia ever since I was 5. Not only they emit a sudden loud ringing noise, but when I was 5 my first classroom was down a dark hallway in an old victorian-like school, and it had a big green bell outside the classroom door that rang really loud, and on the bell had red streaks of what I assume was paint or something, but the kids used to say it was blood. So ever since then, I've just had a phobia of bells and I would never work somewhere where there is one of those bells. I prefer smoke detectors.
In fact about 10 years ago I did get a part-time job in a supermarket but out in the warehouse where all the stock was kept, and there was a loud bell in the warehouse. It rang loudly whenever there was a delivery, and deliveries came at random times so there was no telling when the bell was going to ring. I could not take my mind off of it, and it caused so much anxiety for me, that I had to quit. The job-centre wasn't happy that I'd quit, but I don't think they would understand if I had said, "the reason I quit was because of a bell". But it was true. Those things just petrify me.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 10:48 pm

Fear of getting framed for a felony and sent to jail

CubsBullsBears
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2019, 11:18 pm

My main one is my inability to swim underwater without a mask or without my nose plugged and eyes covered. I took swim lessons when I was 6, but I could never actually rake up the nerve to go underwater and learn how to breathe down there.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 12:11 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
My main one is my inability to swim underwater without a mask or without my nose plugged and eyes covered. I took swim lessons when I was 6, but I could never actually rake up the nerve to go underwater and learn how to breathe down there.

You mean "learn how to NOT breathe down there".

Humans don't have gills. NO human, not even Phelps, can "breathe down there" (ie under water). The name of the game is to learn how to hold your breath while under water. Not to learn "how to breath". :lol:

Maybe that's why you always problems with that. You never understood that fact. :lol:

CubsBullsBears
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2019, 12:39 am

I think I did know that in the past, but swimming hasn’t been on my mind in a while. Replace what I originally said at the end with that, and that was what I was trying to say. Whoops.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 1:37 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:

Lol I thought you actually meant it and was going to add "is not being able to breathe underwater an autistic thing?" :lol:

Anyway, I've never been able to put my head under the water either - even though I loved swimming as a child. But when I was 9 I did fall under the water in a deep pool and couldn't get myself up again no matter how hard I tried to swim up. I thought I was going to die but luckily I got saved by a stranger who got the lifeguard. It didn't put me off going swimming but it has made me avoid deep water ever since, and I won't even slide down waterslides because of the fear of the speed sending me under the water at the bottom, and usually adult waterslides have water deeper than my liking at the bottom.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder