Considering acquisition of feliform companionship

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,084
Location: Sweden

01 Nov 2019, 4:34 am

Thank you all for your input! I am now on the mailing list for a litter of Angoras planned for early 2020 or so. :)


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Amity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,493
Location: Meandering

01 Nov 2019, 5:36 am

Nice one Wolfram.
I've been feeding stray cats, hoping to tame them just enough to get them spayed/snipped.
Dont want them to loose their semi feral ways, as I will move on at some point, but know they have fleas, worms and are destined for a life of constant fighting, injuries and pregnancy.
I've found just watching them or limited interaction with them to be therapeutic.



Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,641
Location: Where the Great Plains meet the Northern Pines

01 Nov 2019, 5:52 am

Pets have been common companions throughout human history, but times have changed, and now they throw nature even farther out of balance. We early boomers have been the first to ever see world population triple, while writing major extinctions into the fossil record, along with a toxic layer. Cats are carnivorous, so if you don't have enough mice and birds for them, they will probably feed on animals that have displaced wild cats. https://xkcd.com/1338/ All the wild species on earth now account for only a tiny percentage of life on land.
I took in a stray one winter, and searched for the best vegan cat food recipes. It ate enormous amounts, retaining almost nothing, and left after two weeks. I'd rather feed a refugee.



Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,084
Location: Sweden

01 Nov 2019, 6:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
vegan cat food


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore ... carnivores


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,632
Location: Outter Quadrant

01 Nov 2019, 7:18 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I am now on the mailing list for a litter of Angoras planned for early 2020 or so. :)


Your welcome. But angoras long haired beasties ..hope you have a adequate vaccum, to clean house? But seriously lovely kitties .


_________________
Female
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
whereever you go ,there you are


AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 May 2016
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,815
Location: Coventry

01 Nov 2019, 7:40 pm

Jakki wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I am now on the mailing list for a litter of Angoras planned for early 2020 or so. :)


Your welcome. But angoras long haired beasties ..hope you have a adequate vaccum, to clean house? But seriously lovely kitties .

Oh, but the hair is so soft! You can sit all day running your fingers through an angora kitties fur. I spent the afternoon that way today. :heart:



Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,084
Location: Sweden

02 Nov 2019, 6:22 am

They are hairy little beasties, but from what I understand they shed a little less and require less fur maintenance owing to thier lack of an undercoat. Seems a fair compromise. Here are some more pics from the breeder.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3lv7VflIuH/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzfplO6CupU/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzNmHIgC1Kc/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwE6ZT0Af5W/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw1bHLvH4J4/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,132

02 Nov 2019, 6:36 am

Jakki wrote:
wondering here if i could find out if am allergic to a Lynx .. they are pretty .. same dander as a feline. .? MAYBE NOT .? Plus i would n-t worry about it getting mauled by another cat? Prolly eats too much food ?
Do cats help you to remember to feed yourself ? Vicariously?


These are supposed to be hypoallergenic cat breeds: https://www.homeoanimal.com/blogs/blog-pet-health/14-hypoallergenic-cat-breeds There are even some long-haired ones there; I seem to remember reading that what causes the allergy in their saliva, not the coat/dander (just ends up there).

Wolfram, I remember from other threads that you're obviously a cat lover and would make a great companion for them. You seem to have it all sorted, just a bit of advice from someone who recently adopted a kitten: if at all possible, take a week or at least a few days off work when the little one arrives, it will help a lot with settling in and helping him or her get comfy and secure. They usually come from a house with several people, their mother and the rest of the litter and need a bit of time to adapt.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,084
Location: Sweden

02 Nov 2019, 6:38 am

That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,132

02 Nov 2019, 6:43 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.


My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 May 2016
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,815
Location: Coventry

02 Nov 2019, 7:48 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.


My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)

Our kitty loves my husband’s scent. She’ll rub all over his jacket when he takes it off and loves nesting in his part of the closet. She likes a shawl of mine, but it’s mostly “Papa’s” clothes.

I would call the Angora a mid-length fur. It is so soft, it does not mat like a Persian’s will. She does love to be brushed, but it doesn’t seem to be technically necessary.



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,132

02 Nov 2019, 7:56 am

AnneOleson wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.


My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)

Our kitty loves my husband’s scent. She’ll rub all over his jacket when he takes it off and loves nesting in his part of the closet. She likes a shawl of mine, but it’s mostly “Papa’s” clothes.


Same here, he gets in the armpit and it's sniff sniff sneeze purr purr fall asleep :lol:


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 May 2016
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,815
Location: Coventry

02 Nov 2019, 1:22 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
That is excellent advice, and I will certainly do that. Thank you.


My pleasure and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask - I ended up with a super-fussy eater and had to get really creative at times :lol:

Oh, and btw, when you're not at home make a t-shirt you've been wearing accessible, the kitten will feel comforted by your scent :)

Our kitty loves my husband’s scent. She’ll rub all over his jacket when he takes it off and loves nesting in his part of the closet. She likes a shawl of mine, but it’s mostly “Papa’s” clothes.


Same here, he gets in the armpit and it's sniff sniff sneeze purr purr fall asleep :lol:


Exactly! She loves burrowing in my husband’s armpit!



Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,440

02 Nov 2019, 5:18 pm

Fluffy cats are a unique thing to keep up with; my lady friend has some cats and one of them is a very woolly one that needs lots of brushing & care.

Be careful feeding them. They can't be outdoors much due to their heavy fur, and get fat if kept inside and allowed to eat unrestricted.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 134 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,084
Location: Sweden

03 Nov 2019, 1:39 am


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.