Woman shot in her own home by the police

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:32 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
It has been reported that the 8 year old nephew of Atatiana Jefferson watched as his aunt was shot and killed.The community has outcried for the arrest of the officer who shot her.

He hasn't even been arrested yet?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
It has been reported that the 8 year old nephew of Atatiana Jefferson watched as his aunt was shot and killed.The community has outcried for the arrest of the officer who shot her.

He hasn't even been arrested yet?
No not as far as I know,but I havn't checked CNN in a couple hours.

UPDATE CNN Officer who shot Atatiana Jefferson has resigned

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 2:23 pm

This just in.

The officers name is Aaron Dean and he may face charges,also the department presented a preliminary case to the FBI for review of possible civil rights violations.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:36 pm

What's weird is that he says, "Hands up" and shoots her almost immediately through a window.

Victim and Killer

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:41 pm

Hey, it's Texas … the spiritual homeland of every trigger-happy cowboy cop in America.

What else do you expect?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:48 pm

Here is what I don't understand. We take people fresh out of high school, give them a couple years training, then arm them and send them out into the community. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:55 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Here is what I don't understand.  We take people fresh out of high school, give them a couple years training, then arm them and send them out into the community.  Doesn't anyone else see a problem with this?
After raising them all on Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty?

No … not at all …

:roll: That's sarcasm...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:57 pm

I think you'll find police training in the US is measured in months, not years. Some would suspect this to be part of the problem.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Hey, it's Texas … the spiritual homeland of every trigger-happy cowboy cop in America.

What else do you expect?

Apparently, DFW-area cops are the worst.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 12:19 am

The former Fort Worth police officer who shot Atatiana Jefferson in her home has been arrested and charged with murder.
The former officer Aaron Dean has posted a $200,000 bond and has been released on bail.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 5:23 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I think you'll find police training in the US is measured in months, not years. Some would suspect this to be part of the problem.

I once watched a document that said it's six months, which is just absurd. Here in Finland it's a minimum of three years, not to mention it's a lot safer here since most people don't carry guns.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 5:47 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

I once watched a document that said it's six months, which is just absurd. Here in Finland it's a minimum of three years, not to mention it's a lot safer here since most people don't carry guns.

I think the shortest is six months, and the longest nine. Yeah, it's two or three years here in Sweden, followed by a probationary period of, I think, one year. Plus US police training seems to have an alarming emphasis on twitchy reactions with deadly force. Which has its place, sure, but I don't think treating your district like it's an active war zone is conducive to a positive outcome.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:22 pm

"She then pulled her handgun from her purse, her nephew told police, and raised it. She was pointing it toward the window when she was shot and fell to the ground".
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/forme ... spartanntp

So she pointed a gun in the direction of the police officer, and that is why he fired.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 8:58 pm

At this point in time the chain of events seems to be that the victim was playing video games with her little nephew in a bedroom. She heard sounds outside and took her gun out of her purse for protraction and started to investigate.
When the perpetrator pointed his flashlight through a window he saw her pointing a gun at him and he opened fire.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:47 am

EzraS wrote:
At this point in time the chain of events seems to be that the victim was playing video games with her little nephew in a bedroom. She heard sounds outside and took her gun out of her purse for protraction and started to investigate.
When the perpetrator pointed his flashlight through a window he saw her pointing a gun at him and he opened fire.

That does make more sense, though the police officer is still one to blame.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:46 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That does make more sense, though the police officer is still one to blame.

Yes; he never told her to drop the gun.