Dating a man with depression?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

elephantplushie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2019, 7:53 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Introverts are more likely to be depressed than extroverts. Introverts are often misunderstood by the world and have fewer friends to provide support. It is hard dealing with depression on your own with no support. Extroverts are often friendlier, happier, open minded, talk a lot and are more outgoing than introverts. Introverts are closed off, take life serious, deep thinkers, talk less and get overwhelmed by social situations.

Mental health issues can be a life long battle and therapy and medication do not work for everyone. If you are an extrovert with mental health issues therapy and medication is more likely to work than introverts. Introverts are more likely to have more severe mental health issues than extroverts.

I see. He is extroverted though. He feels better from socializing.
I am introverted and I can fall into negative thoughts from thinking too much,
so I understand that.

elephantplushie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2019, 7:55 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
The lack of empathy and understanding is shocking and reinforces the social stigma society has against people with mental illness.
Say if the guy had cancer or some other illness. Would you just walk away, tell him to man up and get over?

I'm sorry if it came off that way.
I have experience of mental illness from my ex for example,
it wasn't a good experience and I wasn't prepared that's why i'm trying to be now.
I don't think anyone should get involved with anyone with any form of illness if they can't handle it.
It's not fair to anyone involved.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 10:32 am

elephantplushie wrote:
Oh no, hey, hang on! I'm not convinced it was you to whom Rainbow Belle was actually referring. Your enquiry struck me as eminently humane and reasonable ... which was why I got so cross (sorry, everyone) when somebody appeared to dismiss it as self-serving and cynical.
elephantplushie wrote:
I don't think anyone should get involved with anyone with any form of illness if they can't handle it. It's not fair to anyone involved.
Exactly! This was kind of what I meant about humane and reasonable. See?

Go Elephantplushie, I say...

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 11:03 am

I have experience with Manic Depression, if this is indeed the pertinent diagnosis.
I will try and give you objective advice.
In the manic stage, I have seen families destroyed because of financial debts of astronomic proportions, but these were high income families and I doubt that anyone of low or average income would ever be able to accumulate so much debt. Manic people are "high" and extrovert, losing all sense of proportion. They just want to have fun and anyone who gets in their way is a dreary party pooper.That is the red flag and heralds an attack.

If one was already aware of the illness at the onset of a relationship, and feelings have developed, we all have our physical imperfections, though mental illness requires more resilience from loved ones, then it would be a good idea if financial boundaries and cautions can be implemented to minimise damage from a manic episode.

On the other hand, a certain stability is possible with medication though just as any physiological condition, homeostasis can be disrupted and acute episodes can and usually do occur on occasion.

No joint accounts, ensure restricted credit, don't loan him money, ensure regular medical and psychological monitoring, then feel free to fall in love where caution is not a contra-indication.Always be cautious.

Last edited by Teach51 on 15 Oct 2019, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 11:59 am

Um. Well I'm not convinced this is necessarily manic depression. One poster, early on, assumed it was, but that poster seems to make a positive virtue of being insensitive and glibly oversimplistic (much like every psychiatrist I've ever seen, in fact, ha ha).

I was diagnosed with severe bipolar disorder (a/k/a manic depression) in 1998. At the time, both my doctor and I felt that even if this diagnosis were correct, it was still considerably missing the main problem (i.e. undiagnosed Asperger's, because psychiatrists are all insensitive and glibly oversimplistic a***holes, q.v.). Subsequent history does undeniably reveal periods of a few weeks or months, every two or three years, of superhuman energy and reckless spending and almost dangerously elevated sex drive and alienating anyone who dares not to share my sudden belief that I am wonderful and can all but walk on water. That isn't conclusive proof of manic/bipolar depression, but I must say I would pity anyone who'd happened to be in a relationship with me during such a phase (as it happens, no relationship has yet coincided with one of these phases, which are pretty rare ... as are my relationships, ha ha).

In 1998, I challenged the insensitive and glibly oversimplistic shrink who was so adamant that I was severely bipolar. "If that is true," quoth I, "then how come most of the time I'm on the floor and suicidal, and only ever happy once in a blue moon?"

"You can be bipolar and spend most of your time at one pole or the other," he replied, unfazed (it is impossible to faze a psychiatrist: they have no feelings, and are arguably not even human beings at all).

Compare and contrast: my best friend is married to a severely bipolar man, and he is almost invariably sunny and cheerful. Every so often, but not very often, he plunges into a black depression and it crucifies him. Nor does it make him easy to be with. Equally rarely, he is elevated from his already sunny default position to a point where my friend has to hide or destroy her husband's bank cards, notify the local taxi firms to block or ignore any calls from their number, etc.

I think last time he was going to buy a helicopter. And it isn't as if these people were well off...

This gentleman and I once sat down, over a bottle of wine or several, to compare notes. The gist of it was, he is so unused to feeling unhappy that a depression I would regard as a walk in the park is torture to him. I am so used to feeling unhappy that I actively stoke anything resembling an upswing and sort of retain fond memories of them, because each one feels like a holiday, whereas he deeply regrets all his (in retrospect, that is...). I manage without medication (other than over-the-counter, grape-based sedatives...). He is mostly dosed up to the eyeballs these days, for the sake of his marriage.

So if you are looking at a case of manic depression/bipolar disorder, then it could be a bit like growing olives on Vesuvius: everything could be totally stable and very viable most of the time, but by golly, when it's bad, it's lethally bad. And in all honesty, Elephantplushie, that could come under your general heading of Stuff I Did Not and Do Not Wish to Sign Up For.

I know I've taken a while to get there (it is a failing of mine), but I'm attempting to answer your very valid question (rather than attack it).

Elephantplushie, did you say what kind or type or variety of depression this bloke of yours is reckoned to suffer from? Because if it's manic or bipolar, then although few could be more sympathetic than I to the condition itself, I think manic or bipolar depression, although frightfully deep and intriguing and indicative of great emotionality, might be more than you wish or need to take on.

But again, I don't share the apparently general assumption that the bloke you're describing necessarily is manic or bipolar.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

Yes, most psychiatrists who I have worked with as a nurse would probably lose the battle of who has more empathy and vitality, a waxwork model in Madame Tussaud or they themselves.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 12:21 pm

Yah, it's a funny one, because honestly some of these psychiatric labels have a lot of validity and can be very illuminating and very useful, yet the psychiatric profession runs around sticking labels on people randomly, willy-nilly, and impulsively, like a hyperactive dyslexic toddler on mephedrone.

I hope Elephantplushie can succeed in exercising some of the sensitivity and wisdom and intuition it sounds like she herself possesses. I am fairly confident she will.

I think many of the responses to her very good question have been below the level of the question she herself bravely and humanely raised. But I am a very bitter & twisted human being, or what's left of one. So my opinion is not necessarily worth the cyberspace it's written on...

elephantplushie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2019, 2:26 pm

Teach51 wrote:
I have experience with Manic Depression, if this is indeed the pertinent diagnosis.
I will try and give you objective advice.
In the manic stage, I have seen families destroyed because of financial debts of astronomic proportions, but these were high income families and I doubt that anyone of low or average income would ever be able to accumulate so much debt. Manic people are "high" and extrovert, losing all sense of proportion. They just want to have fun and anyone who gets in their way is a dreary party pooper.That is the red flag and heralds an attack.

If one was already aware of the illness at the onset of a relationship, and feelings have developed, we all have our physical imperfections, though mental ilness requires more resilience from loved ones, then it would be a good idea if financial boundaries and cautions can be implemented to minimise damage from a manic episode.

On the other hand, a certain stability is possible with medication though just as any physiological condition, homeostasis can be disrupted and acute episodes can and usually do occur on occasion.

No joint accounts, ensure restricted credit, don't loan him money, ensure regular medical and psychological monitoring, then feel free to fall in love where caution is not a contra-indication.Always be cautious.

I don't know if it's manic depression.
Doesn't seem that way but i'd have to ask him.
I'll keep these things in mind.

elephantplushie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2019, 2:27 pm

Raphael F wrote:
elephantplushie wrote:
Oh no, hey, hang on! I'm not convinced it was you to whom Rainbow Belle was actually referring. Your enquiry struck me as eminently humane and reasonable ... which was why I got so cross (sorry, everyone) when somebody appeared to dismiss it as self-serving and cynical.
elephantplushie wrote:
I don't think anyone should get involved with anyone with any form of illness if they can't handle it. It's not fair to anyone involved.
Exactly! This was kind of what I meant about humane and reasonable. See?

Go Elephantplushie, I say...

Thanks for understanding. :)

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 2:50 pm

elephantplushie wrote:
I don't know if it's manic depression. Doesn't seem that way but I'd have to ask him.
No. Well. Teach51 is about the best it can ever get, round here. But we lesser mortals do still retain the right to differ, or at any rate reasonably query.

Teach51 would be happy to let us do so. That's how big and wise she is!

If you have a zillion hours to spare, see my amateur comments on manic depression/bioplar disorder above...

Good luck, poppet. It's a lethally crazy world, and perhaps all the more so for you poor little sane people who innocently tumble into it.

Come back. In the truckers' C.B. sense of that phrase. Not in a creepy sense. But come back. In the sense of stay in touch, and keep us updated, yeah?

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 3:01 pm

Although, to be fair, you do declare yourself as diagnosed with Asperger's. So you have even less need to be patronized by me than I arrogantly assumed you had. In fact you probably had NO need at all!

Which just goes to prove how normal some of us Aspies really can be, i.e. I am actually a TOTAL a......., and thus in many ways actually indistinguishable from an NT.

Oh dear.

Such is life. Apparently.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2019, 2:28 am

Raphael, you will be staying in at breaktime this morning and writing out 100 times:

In the evenings, I must stop posting as soon as I realize I'm tipsy enough to start getting over-emotional.
In the evenings, I must stop posting as soon as I realize I'm tipsy enough to start getting over-emotional.

[etc.]

Apologies to Elephantplushie and to the world. I'll try harder in future (hopefully).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Oct 2019, 7:55 pm

Me & my girlfriend both have depression & lots of other various mental issues. My depression was aLOT worse when I was single. I know having someone around who cares & tries to be supportive is a huge help to me. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is just being there to listen & encourage them & make them feel loved. My depression is mostly manged OK but girlfriend's depression does bring me down sometimes. She falls into funks & takes things out on people close to her in her life, mostly her family & me. She doesn't take her depression out on others too much thou. It does get to me sometimes & does make me feel bad about myself sometimes & I sometimes do take it out on her. I know she feels really bad about it thou & does really try to make up for it when she's in a better mood. Not everyone with depression takes things out on others. I've known friends with depression & was a member of a depression support group & there's lots of people with depression who are kinda like me in that just having someone around helps alot & they don't take things out on others too much unless the other person is triggering them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 10:27 pm

This thread is an example of derailing, whether intentionally or not. Unfortunately it is a fairly common practice on this forum. At this stage, after the various posters of different views have had their say, I would like to ask the OP if she wishes to continue, or would she prefer that the thread is locked or removed?

I know it is easy to forget sometimes that WP is overall a support forum. That doesn't mean we can't disagree, but its better to disagree in an agreeable way than to continually challenge other posters so that the topic gets hijacked.