What is the Name of the Autoimmune disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

albert111
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2019, 4:20 pm

I went to a ASD support group yesterday and there was a girl there that was very knowledgeable. She said there is an autoimmune disorder that a lot of people in the spectrum have that causes allergies.

Does anyone know the name of this disorder? I think it began with an "M".

I am desperate. My environmental allergies are killing me even though I take Allegra and Flonase every morning. I went to an Allergist which tested me and said I am not allergic to anything!?!?!?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 5:03 pm

I would guess probably Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) - what many people used to know as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The chronic tiredness is what most people associate it with, but chronic pain and immune system problems are also very common symptoms. I don't know the science behind how common it is in autism, but I have met quite a few autistic people who have an ME diagnosis too. Here's a link to an ME support site where you can learn more about it.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2019, 6:52 pm

ME is commonly comorbid with ASD, but hasn't been proven to be autoimmune. There are many theories, and probably it's an umbrella diagnosis that covers multiple similar disorders.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

albert111
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2019, 8:17 pm

It is not ME. I had chronic fatigue syndrome when I was in my teens. It's allergies. I'm allergic to pollen and dust, animal dander, mold, at least.

The allergist said I'm not allergic to anything because his tests did not work. Even the control histamine they stuck me with didn't have a reaction.

The thing the girl at the support group mentioned began with max, or mas, I have bad hearing and couldn't make it out.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 8:21 pm

Myasthenia Gravis (MG) ?

I was tested for this by a Neurologist. It's similar to Multiple Sclerosis. It may not be what you're referring to, because I don't know of its connection to allergies.

The only auto-immune condition I can think of which seems to be common in autistic people is EDS (Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome). Again, I don't know of it being connected to allergies.

Cheeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2019, 10:53 am

Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)? An immune condition in which a lot of histamine can be produced, resulting in what looks like quite inflamed allergic reactions induced by various triggers.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:06 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The only auto-immune condition I can think of which seems to be common in autistic people is EDS (Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome). Again, I don't know of it being connected to allergies.

EDS is not autoimmune. It is a genetic connective tissue disorder, but lots of people with EDS seem to have autoimmune disorders too.

From the M section of aarda.org
Meniere’s disease
Microscopic polyangiitis (MPA)
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)
Mooren’s ulcer
Mucha-Habermann disease
Multifocal Motor Neuropathy (MMN) or MMNCB
Multiple sclerosis
Myasthenia gravis
Myositis

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm

My sister is on the spectrum and has had M.E. in its chronic form, in the past, but is now feeling good.
My adult daughter has MG(Myasthenia Gravis) and is in remission. This is a life-long chronic condition, auto-immune disorder that has seen her on a cocktail of drugs used in cancer. Thankfully, after an op to remove the thymus gland, she has entered remission, and with very careful stress-management, she is doing very well now and totally drug-free. The effects of MG are pretty dreadful - she lost the ability to walk, talk, had great difficulty breathing etc etc .... wouldn't wish this upon anyone. I know there are others on the spectrum who have MG, and can only send them my heartfelt best wishes. Otherwise, my daughter is very successful in her field, and has a Masters Degree(works with those on the spectrum).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 6:15 pm

248RPA wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

EDS is not autoimmune. It is a genetic connective tissue disorder, but lots of people with EDS seem to have autoimmune disorders too.

From the M section of aarda.org
Meniere’s disease
Microscopic polyangiitis (MPA)
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)
Mooren’s ulcer
Mucha-Habermann disease
Multifocal Motor Neuropathy (MMN) or MMNCB
Multiple sclerosis
Myasthenia gravis
Myositis

My mistake. Apologies.

albert111
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2019, 7:58 pm

That's it! Thank you cheeks!! !

I'm almost positive that's it.

Cheeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm

albert111 wrote:
That's it! Thank you cheeks!! !

I'm almost positive that's it.

Anytime.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 11:41 pm

It's MCAS/Mastocytosis which is linked to EDS, POTS and autism.