What has been your overall experience with non-autistics?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 6:28 pm

Overall? With NTs?

On the surface, they do vary. Everyone has the different expressions; some are wiser, some are friendlier, some are not. Some just gets differing circumstances, and so different outcomes of expressions.
Therefore, my experience with other people in general do vary.

Collectively, they are more or less stuck at this belief depending on their cultures -- that includes foreigners themselves and to one another...
There is still this suble types of walking on eggshells, the one that seem to be rather too necessary to many social interactions.
The very one that makes NT social masks lighter, and what most autistics struggles to reconstruct themselves and ended up constructing a too heavy fit of a social mask if one tries.

But this is getting better now. At least from what I can tell from here.

But in the inside, they are no different from one another -- even from NDs, even to the worst of humans.
So many of them are just as rigid, even if they are intellectually open and are different. Fewer of them are truly open beyond that, and I'm not even among that fewer numbers.
It's just the rigidity of many is deem as 'appropriate' and very enabled, therefore not very noticeable. At worst, it's an open secret of sorts or a stereotyping shame.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Specter94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2019, 4:08 am

Personally my experiences have been mostly bad. I make it a point to not interact or associate with NT's as much as possible.

I simply cannot understand them and all their illogical ways.

I certainly don't hate them, but at the same time I have to admit i'm not fond of them either.

I personally wish I could just find a community of other people on the spectrum and work and live there, among my own kind.

We on the spectrum aren't perfect, and certainly not angels, but at least we understand each other in a way NT's generally can't.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:25 am

Specter94 wrote:
I personally wish I could just find a community of other people on the spectrum and work and live there, among my own kind.

An isolated community of people on the spectrum is probably not feasible, but hopefully we can at least create a community in the sense of a better organized than we have now.

Are you interested in helping to create such a thing? If so, please see the following threads:

- Building the autistic community? (see especially my posts here and here on page 2 of that thread).
- Autistic-friendly social skills vs. blending in with NT's
- Autistic-friendly workplaces
- An adult autistic self-advocacy organization?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 5:57 pm

Mostly a mixed bag.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 6:12 pm

The question is too vague

Some positive neurotypical interactions

Some positive autistic interactions

In that way, NT/AS does not matter that much

However NT tend to be more extroverted than AS

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 6:19 pm

My experiences with NTs have ranged from neutral to very good - it's helpful that I've applied that sixth-sense so to speak in avoiding negative experiences with NTs.

As I've mentioned on WP - I've discussed developing friendships with NTs - that is thoughtful NTs who've had some experiences with High Functioning Autism (HFA) (that mix of professional experiences with colleagues, and personal experiences with relatives for example). Yet, also mentioned on WP -quality people can both hard to find, and keep!